Local Geelong Leagues Thread (GFL/BFL) 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this talk about Gilham as coach, and the player payments at West is absolutely misinformed rubbish. West had 1 bad game on the weekend and people are jumping all over them. Fact is, if they beat Grovedale this week they could jump to 3rd on the ladder as other top sides play each other. Joeys talked it up that they won without Rudd and Bauer. Lets not overlook West had Jack, Jago, Shannon, Cheep, Hannan all missing from best 18.
Gilham has the respect of everybody at the club for what he has done. More importantly, he has the complete respect of the senior playing group. That cant be said about a number of GFL clubs. Without a doubt he would be in top 3 caches in the league.
In regards to player payments people need to take a reality check. No local club could afford to spend the 250k that has been mentioned. The likes of Ricco, carsons, Faulkner, Saunders, Chambers, Wilde are on very little compared to what they could get. Every recruit West have picked up has had a pre-exisitng tie to the club or Gilham. If people knew the real figures these boys get you would be surprised. West would still not be in the 3 top spenders in the league.
And the one thing i can guarantee about West and Gilham is that you would never have supporters texting the editor in the addy, saying he should be sacked. There are 2 local clubs(1 GFL) that have had that happen already this year

Can't argue too much with what you are saying there as you probably know more than me.

But a couple of points you say IF you beat Grovedale you will be in 3rd, what if you lose, they are a good side who on their day can upset anyone. If you do lose this game you could be 1 game out of the 5.

If West miss the finals i think it would be a major diappointment and if that happens, and i say if, certain things such as coaches should be looked at.

All this talk about Gilham as coach, and the player payments at West is absolutely misinformed rubbish. West had 1 bad game on the weekend and people are jumping all over them. Fact is, if they beat Grovedale this week they could jump to 3rd on the ladder as other top sides play each other. Joeys talked it up that they won without Rudd and Bauer. Lets not overlook West had Jack, Jago, Shannon, Cheep, Hannan all missing from best 18.
Gilham has the respect of everybody at the club for what he has done. More importantly, he has the complete respect of the senior playing group. That cant be said about a number of GFL clubs. Without a doubt he would be in top 3 caches in the league.
In regards to player payments people need to take a reality check. No local club could afford to spend the 250k that has been mentioned. The likes of Ricco, carsons, Faulkner, Saunders, Chambers, Wilde are on very little compared to what they could get. Every recruit West have picked up has had a pre-exisitng tie to the club or Gilham. If people knew the real figures these boys get you would be surprised. West would still not be in the 3 top spenders in the league.
And the one thing i can guarantee about West and Gilham is that you would never have supporters texting the editor in the addy, saying he should be sacked. There are 2 local clubs(1 GFL) that have had that happen already this year
I find that hard to believe, that all these blokes come and play for love? i have no doubt ricco would be on 20k plus theres no other reason y he would be playing and chambers has to be on massive coin also, every club in the gfl was throwing bucket loads of $$$$ at them, they aren't going to go and play for love. looking through that list i have no doubt westsaints are the highest paid team by at least 25%. Maybe thats why the knives are out by all the west supporters and others!

I find that hard to believe, that all these blokes come and play for love? i have no doubt ricco would be on 20k plus theres no other reason y he would be playing and chambers has to be on massive coin also, every club in the gfl was throwing bucket loads of $$$$ at them, they aren't going to go and play for love. looking through that list i have no doubt westsaints are the highest paid team by at least 25%. Maybe thats why the knives are out by all the west supporters and others!
Jay, you have no credibility. Of course they are getting payed. But i can guarantee each player could have got more at other GFL clubs. I feel sorry for Ricco. He cops rubbish every week about being on big money, but he isnt. He could have got more than double what he is getting to go and coach other GFL clubs. He is extremely loyal to West and has done some great things for the club. Before he even retired from Geelong he told the club he would be back to play and in fact sat on the bench as an observer a couple times while still at Geelong. His best mate plays at West and so do 2 of his brothers. As for Chambers, he is playing with his brother-in-law and actually approached West last September about coming on board at a minimal cost.
Dont start talking things up when you clearly have no idea. To make comments about West spending 25% more than anyone else is pure stupidity and shows you have no idea. Not 1 West player would be in the top 10 highest paid players in the league

-P Carson: Played with Gilham at Werribee FC, coached by him at Centrals.
-D Carson brother is there.
-P Chambers: Brother-in-law at West and coaches under 16s. Spoke to him after 2005 season.
-Riccardi: Informed West in 2005 that he would be playing there after he finished in AFL. Two brothers play and best mate with club also.
-Faulkner: Played at Werribee FC with about 6 or 7 other West players. Actually recruited 5 years ago before he did his knee.
-Saunders: Again, played with about half a dozen players inc Gilham at Werribee and lived with Dyer.
-Wilde few good mates at club and wives parents are St Peters life members.

These are only a few. Never discount the influence of key people when recruiting. I'm sure there was some sort of connection between Sheringham, Batchelor & Garth wasn't there? And didn't Chris Jones bring a few back from Melbourne with him at St Marys? Believe it or not, it is not always about the money, many blokes play with each other because they are mates or have a history. As far as the axe goes; I agree with Rooster07; coach has full support of players and supporters and hasn't done much wrong. It was only 18months ago that the team was re-built.

Jay, you have no credibility. Of course they are getting payed. But i can guarantee each player could have got more at other GFL clubs. I feel sorry for Ricco. He cops rubbish every week about being on big money, but he isnt. He could have got more than double what he is getting to go and coach other GFL clubs. He is extremely loyal to West and has done some great things for the club. Before he even retired from Geelong he told the club he would be back to play and in fact sat on the bench as an observer a couple times while still at Geelong. His best mate plays at West and so do 2 of his brothers. As for Chambers, he is playing with his brother-in-law and actually approached West last September about coming on board at a minimal cost.
Dont start talking things up when you clearly have no idea. To make comments about West spending 25% more than anyone else is pure stupidity and shows you have no idea. Not 1 West player would be in the top 10 highest paid players in the league
Ill take your word for it, i was just putting up what was told to me, as i said i fairly good source thats info is usually rock solid, if they are on min money i commend the club its a great effort. If you think though that clubs aren't paying out 100k plus is nieve i know for a fact that like i said a bottom 4 club is paying well over that, and still can't compete with top clubs money wise

-P Carson: Played with Gilham at Werribee FC, coached by him at Centrals.
-D Carson brother is there.
-P Chambers: Brother-in-law at West and coaches under 16s. Spoke to him after 2005 season.
-Riccardi: Informed West in 2005 that he would be playing there after he finished in AFL. Two brothers play and best mate with club also.
-Faulkner: Played at Werribee FC with about 6 or 7 other West players. Actually recruited 5 years ago before he did his knee.
-Saunders: Again, played with about half a dozen players inc Gilham at Werribee and lived with Dyer.
-Wilde few good mates at club and wives parents are St Peters life members.

These are only a few. Never discount the influence of key people when recruiting. I'm sure there was some sort of connection between Sheringham, Batchelor & Garth wasn't there? And didn't Chris Jones bring a few back from Melbourne with him at St Marys? Believe it or not, it is not always about the money, many blokes play with each other because they are mates or have a history. As far as the axe goes; I agree with Rooster07; coach has full support of players and supporters and hasn't done much wrong. It was only 18months ago that the team was re-built.

As a long time follower of the GFL I say good luck to Geelong West if they want to buy a few players. If it wasn't them it would have just been Bell Park, St Marys or South Barwon throwing the cash around like usual. It's good to see them up there in contention at the pointy end of the season. The fact that Peter Riccardi has gone back to play for West, his original club, is fantastic whether he's on $50 or $1500 a game.
However, you Geelong West supporters are sounding foolish by denying the club is not paying players enough to influence them to play there. Why didn't Scott Faulkner (Grovedale) and Nathan Saunders (Bell Park) go back to their original clubs after their stints with Werribee. One word-money! Yes, they may have mates from Werribee there but they're all on he gravy train too. I honestly hope Geelong West give it a real shake this year as Gilham, Dyer and Scotty Faulkner are all top blokes. I have to agree though with other forum followers, if they dont make the finals they have underachieved again especially with the money they have spent, anyone saying otherwise is biased or has their head in the sand.

Ill take your word for it, i was just putting up what was told to me, as i said i fairly good source thats info is usually rock solid, if they are on min money i commend the club its a great effort. If you think though that clubs aren't paying out 100k plus is nieve i know for a fact that like i said a bottom 4 club is paying well over that, and still can't compete with top clubs money wise
Jay unless you (or your source) is a memebr of the inner sanctum of that club then I doubt you would know exactly what is being paid.

In my time on the committee of a club I can tell you only a select group (most commonly referred to as the committee inside the committee who run the club) would have known every arrangement the club had made. At this club it only included the President and Treasurer.

There are that many ways to remunerate players (and I can list a hep if you want me to) that only a small number of people at any club will really know what the real outlay is.

Jay unless you (or your source) is a memebr of the inner sanctum of that club then I doubt you would know exactly what is being paid.

In my time on the committee of a club I can tell you only a select group (most commonly referred to as the committee inside the committee who run the club) would have known every arrangement the club had made. At this club it only included the President and Treasurer.

There are that many ways to remunerate players (and I can list a hep if you want me to) that only a small number of people at any club will really know what the real outlay is.
I never said what is exactly being paid out, i said 100k plus and that is common knowledge at the the club by its members and supporters, it doesn't matter how they get there money it's still cash whatever way you look at it. and trust me my source is in the "inner sanctum" of the club

I also heard from a good source that the money they've payed out is in the range of $250,000 for this season alone, there wouldn't be a team in geelong close to that. they'd be wanting finals at the VERY least.

I never said what is exactly being paid out, i said 100k plus and that is common knowledge at the the club by its members and supporters, it doesn't matter how they get there money it's still cash whatever way you look at it. and trust me my source is in the "inner sanctum" of the club
Maybe you should check how inner the inner sanctum is that you source is in.

I have no idea what the Roosters pay their players nor do I care but people do go too, and stay at clubs for reasons other than money.

Have a look at Nth Shore in the 80's and 90's and Sth Barwon now. A heap of blokes in both of those sides were recruited to and played for massive unders and take that as fact because a number of cluns including one I was associated with offered some serious coin to a few of their blokes and couldn't get them over the line and this happens regularly.

You are correct in that those players have some tie to Gilham or west and although everyone does get stuck into west about their payments a few you have mentioned would recieve much more from other clubs (ricco, faulkner). Having listened to gilham a few times this season its clear he is a very good coach and would no doubt be safe for next year, however the recruiting at west is the area that will be looked at. To say that if west miss the finals they will be disappointed is an understatement. You dont recruit 30+ yr old players with an eye for the future. I do understand their position however that they needed to be competitive to allow them to recruit more easily in years to come. As for the players missing from the starting 18, cheep will struggle to qualify for finals and its no coincidence that saunders has recieved 7 votes form 3 games since Jago was injured.

Heard on K-Rock today that Lara's sacked dallas normington... he will see out the season...

Not a bad get for K-Rock, as I believe Tom King's off with a broken hand... (haven't heard him this week) clearly outpointing the Addy when it comes to local footy

Heard on K-Rock today that Lara's sacked dallas normington... he will see out the season...

Not a bad get for K-Rock, as I believe Tom King's off with a broken hand... (haven't heard him this week) clearly outpointing the Addy when it comes to local footy

Surprised he is coaching out the season and hasn't told them where to go. Still a long path ahead for Lara.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

anyone heard a story about an inquiry into an incident at the leopold v. lara game on the weekend?
yep ryan closter from lara is in hospital with a broken jaw and knocked in teeth, i was told he was whacked behind play with a big bloke with tatts plays in the backline was involved i dont know anything about leoplod so couldn't give he's name. Id expect an investigation and a lengthy suspension id say.

That club would be St Albans. Some of the money they were throwing around last season was amazing. With Draga on board this season, plus Law and a few others, one would think this season would surpas last.
When Clark? the coach was appointed, their president had a blue print for success within 5 years at whatever cost. Initially they struggled to attract quality players, having spent a few seasons down low. This was despite offering large sums of cash.

yep ryan closter from lara is in hospital with a broken jaw and knocked in teeth, i was told he was whacked behind play with a big bloke with tatts plays in the backline was involved i dont know anything about leoplod so couldn't give he's name. Id expect an investigation and a lengthy suspension id say.

Definately Purton... known for it in the past and obviously hasnt changed his ways on the footy field... can be a great bloke off the field, but a shame he continues to fall back into his old ways.

Sth Barwon by 3 points over St.Mary's...
interesting game... 6 goals until half time... then Sth bangs on 9 in the third to set up eight goal lead... Saints then kick seven in the last and hold Swans goalless... a grand final of similar ilk would be good...

Surprised he is coaching out the season and hasn't told them where to go. Still a long path ahead for Lara.

There is more to this story than what was reported in the Addy. After a recent game in the rooms the president once again made public his feelings about where Normington was playing certain players on the ground and Normington told him in no uncertain terms to get out of the dressing rooms. Would like to hear what Dallas has to say after his coaching stint is up...

Sth Barwon by 3 points over St.Mary's...
interesting game... 6 goals until half time... then Sth bangs on 9 in the third to set up eight goal lead... Saints then kick seven in the last and hold Swans goalless... a grand final of similar ilk would be good...

St Marys had a couple of chances late to snatch the win, a too high decision that they didnt get could have given them the game and also a easy goal missed in the final 10 seconds

South Barwon footballer suspended for seven weeks

Bradley Green

July 15th, 2008

Luke Buckland

THE Football Geelong tribunal has come down heavy on Luke Buckland, suspending the South Barwon midfielder for seven weeks for breaking an opponent's jaw.

Buckland had been charged with conduct unbecoming after an investigation into an incident with Lara's Aaron Barlow during the round nine clash at McDonald Reserve.

He fronted the tribunal this week and the panel of Geoff Stribley (chairman), Peter Murrihy and Phil Swindell found him guilty of striking and handed him the second biggest suspension for the season.

What are your thoughts on this story. Tell us here

Buckland pleaded not guilty to the charge, laid after an investigation into the incident by Football Geelong's investigations officer Paul Evans.

The seven-game ban means that Buckland will miss the rest of the home-and-away season and South Barwon's first final.

Swans co-coach Dale Amos said the club would accept the penalty, but added the incident was out of character for Buckland, a former Geelong VFL player and a two-time premiership player for South Barwon.

The suspension also rules Buckland out of representing Victoria at next week's Australian Country Football Championships, being played in Shepparton.

South Barwon footballer suspended for seven weeks

Bradley Green

July 15th, 2008

Luke Buckland

THE Football Geelong tribunal has come down heavy on Luke Buckland, suspending the South Barwon midfielder for seven weeks for breaking an opponent's jaw.

Buckland had been charged with conduct unbecoming after an investigation into an incident with Lara's Aaron Barlow during the round nine clash at McDonald Reserve.

He fronted the tribunal this week and the panel of Geoff Stribley (chairman), Peter Murrihy and Phil Swindell found him guilty of striking and handed him the second biggest suspension for the season.

What are your thoughts on this story. Tell us here

Buckland pleaded not guilty to the charge, laid after an investigation into the incident by Football Geelong's investigations officer Paul Evans.

The seven-game ban means that Buckland will miss the rest of the home-and-away season and South Barwon's first final.

Swans co-coach Dale Amos said the club would accept the penalty, but added the incident was out of character for Buckland, a former Geelong VFL player and a two-time premiership player for South Barwon.

The suspension also rules Buckland out of representing Victoria at next week's Australian Country Football Championships, being played in Shepparton.
u do the crime, u do the time its good to see.
Lee Purton would be nervous id imagine

I think they have got thison this one wrong, we were at the Sth Barwon lara game Buckland was grabbed by the hair from behind as he was trying to stop a brawl between some other players, he then grabbed the bloke by the jumper and some jumper punchers were exchanged and thats were he must have hit him on the jaw. I have made some enquires today about Buckland and everybody I have spoken to have said they have never seen him throw a punch in all his footy career. A certain Geelong FC player said if he had a bit of mungrel in him he may still be at Geelong. If Solmon gets 8 for what he did Buckland has been delt with pretty badly. I also believe the 2 Lara witnesses couldn't even agree on there stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back