Local Geelong Leagues Thread (GFL/BFL/GDFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have said this before about Newcomb. When you go and buy premierships like Newcomb have (and good on them) eventually you pay a price down the track.

They have no U 18 side and if they start to lose players like it appears they are things will go downhill pretty quickly.

I fear Newcomb may pay the price for going for a quick fix.

I made this call back in mid November looks like i was pretty right on the money.

Couldn't happen to a better club.

There is no doubt that Newcombe have no one but themselves to blame for the trouble they are in, you cant just buy a premiership and think all will be great in years to come. Having said that I guess they didnt expect some of the players to come along for one or two years take good money and then run straight away.

What does this say about the guys who did this? As far as Im concerned the main reason you play footy is for success and friendships. Theres nothing better than having a reunion to celebrate and reflect on that success with friends when you've finished. My point here I guess is what is the value of a premiership medal if that medal is for a team that has folded in part because of you
?

There is no doubt that Newcombe have no one but themselves to blame for the trouble they are in, you cant just buy a premiership and think all will be great in years to come. Having said that I guess they didnt expect some of the players to come along for one or two years take good money and then run straight away.

What does this say about the guys who did this? As far as Im concerned the main reason you play footy is for success and friendships. Theres nothing better than having a reunion to celebrate and reflect on that success with friends when you've finished. My point here I guess is what is the value of a premiership medal if that medal is for a team that has folded in part because of you
?
Do we assume, look out Corio FC?

can anyone tell me why clubs reject clearances. surely if a player moves to a different club he doesnt want to be at the club he is at so why try and keep him there? a bit stupid if you ask me.
yeah that was something i noticed as well in regards to a few clearance being rejected. matthews, nicholls, nolan, robertson, zaparenkov from north shore were all rejected first time. is it perhaps football geelong who is rejecting some as well trying to keep the competition even and not having some clubs too strong? although south barwon has managed to continually get stronger last 3 years!

Do we assume, look out Corio FC?
will be interesting coz last time corio tried to buy the premiership they got rolled in the gf, then all the players left for success elsewhere.

as for newcomb they were trying to establish an under 18 team this season which was a positive sign, what happened there?? are there 2 many teams within close proximity to each other fighting over players???

as for newcomb they were trying to establish an under 18 team this season which was a positive sign, what happened there?? are there 2 many teams within close proximity to each other fighting over players???
While that may be a factor, I wouldn't have thought it would be.

Look at the northwestern suburbs of Geelong - Bell Park, Bell Post Hill, Geelong West-St. Peters, Geelong West Sporting Club, St Josephs, Newtown & Chilwell, North Geelong, Corio and Lara.

The only club in direct competition to Newcomb would be East Geelong I would think.

You have Newcomb,St Albans,Thomson,East Geelong all within 2 kms of each other.Then their is St Marys and Leopold a bit further away but still in the same area.
Like all clubs they not only compete against each other for players but they also have businesses in the area employing kids who other wise may play football.Yes the good players will continue to play but the others take the money from the job over sport.
In this area you have 2 Safeway,Aldi,Coles supermarkets,McDonalds,KFC,Subway,Pizza Hut just to name a few.

A problem for all clubs

anglesea have got a pracy game vs some warrnambool side on march 15th in warrnambool, should be a good hit out for the roos boys:)

You have Newcomb,St Albans,Thomson,East Geelong all within 2 kms of each other.Then their is St Marys and Leopold a bit further away but still in the same area.
Like all clubs they not only compete against each other for players but they also have businesses in the area employing kids who other wise may play football.Yes the good players will continue to play but the others take the money from the job over sport.
In this area you have 2 Safeway,Aldi,Coles supermarkets,McDonalds,KFC,Subway,Pizza Hut just to name a few.

A problem for all clubs
Getting the whittington kids of the crack pipe to play footy also might prove difficult !

that is a little strange! i heard port won which is good considering they are a powerhouse club. heard a whisper modda is up for a big year with their new coach. pre season has mostly consisted of players doin a bit of running until he is rooted and players gettin the feel for the pill. in their hands, then in their mouth.

Are you suggesting there is a drug problem down at Modewarre such as the case of the West Coast Eagles. That is a large statement as blokes like Butcher and Stevie D down there would not be happy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are you gonna be sheep dogger? ones or twos? Being a new recruit from the grovey area must be a bit daunting!

haha nah m8 its not daunting at all....just happy to get a game 1st and then hav a run round in the 2nds...what bout u where bouts u playin this year?

Only clubs can reject clearances and basically for 4 reasons. Player has club gear (jumper etc), Player owes club money, Player is on a contact with club he wants to leave or the club the player is leaving after speaking to him is not convinced he wants to leave. The clubs have 10 working days to make a decision.

Are you suggesting there is a drug problem down at Modewarre such as the case of the West Coast Eagles. That is a large statement as blokes like Butcher and Stevie D down there would not be happy.[/quote]

Mate your tellin the story. never heard of a Stevie D. i just meant they are hungry for footy in 08! but i think youve just accidentially unearthed something! we better leave it there.

but i do find it funny they run till the coach is rooted

footw i know your type you get on here and strat rumours and then when people question you about your rumour you back down like a little school girl. i would hate to see you on a football ground.

?

If you have a look at the clerances to corio 95% of the guys are guys who grew up in corio or played junior footy at the club, there all mates that just want to play together.

Rumour has it Newcomb are folding on monday. any truth behind this ??

If true, they shouldn't be allowed to re-enter the competition until they have sufficient numbers for seniors, reserves and especially under 18's and 16's... Pretty embarrasing that the premiers of a well respected league may fold five months later.

Mate plays for Newcomb and says it is quite true. They been only getting 10 players down to pre-season training. He said if their are no numbers this wednesday they will be folding.

If true, they shouldn't be allowed to re-enter the competition until they have sufficient numbers for seniors, reserves and especially under 18's and 16's... Pretty embarrasing that the premiers of a well respected league may fold five months later.

Just goes to show money may buy you a couple of premierships but it doesnt buy the long term future of your club. Its a shame but what goes around comes around.

footw i know your type you get on here and strat rumours and then when people question you about your rumour you back down like a little school girl. i would hate to see you on a football ground.

ya got me man. thats why i quit footy when i was 12. i call out abuse at local games and then when players react i hide behind bigger members of the crowd. shucks

While that may be a factor, I wouldn't have thought it would be.

Look at the northwestern suburbs of Geelong - Bell Park, Bell Post Hill, Geelong West-St. Peters, Geelong West Sporting Club, St Josephs, Newtown & Chilwell, North Geelong, Corio and Lara.

The only club in direct competition to Newcomb would be East Geelong I would think.
wat about Thomson its around the corner, yeh it is wierd all those 3 clubs struggle for under 18s but there is alot of clubs in the region in the same position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back