Lodden Valley Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on boys there was a round of matches on the weekend whats the news?
I watched a fair portion of the Y.C.W vs Pyramid Hill game.
There were some good patches of play at times although there were a number of players that didn't handle the footy at all well.
Pyramid look like they will be a pretty fair side with Wilkinson the new ruckman a very good player at this level with strong hands, athletism across the ground and good skills so I'm sure he will make a mess of a few toilers he comes up against from opposition sides. Chillcott was fantastic slotting 11 goals 4 or 5, most from set shots and some in tight spots while Birchmore provided a good target at CHF to work through.
For Y.C.W Loring was handy from limited opportunities with 4 goals Bennett flashed in and out of the game with some good touches but they will need McCormick and Webb back in ASAP and a good run with injury to give it a shake one would think.

As most would have expected, Newbridge were too strong for Marong. Although the scoreline doesn't indicate it, the match was evenly contested for the most part. Two 5 minute bursts at the start of the 2nd and 3rd quarters saw Newbridge kick 8 goals to 0. The game was pretty much sealed from there.

Leon Nixon was pretty impressive kicking 7, however he had very little attention for most of the day. The Big Shev lowered his colours to Jimmy Williams, beaten quite convincingly. While he's sure to kick a few bags this season, he might not have the consistent impact that Newbridge had hoped for. Marong were missing some key players in Sam Milner, Glenn Carson and the yet to be cleared Jacob Dahl. With these players back for round 2, Marong would be expecting a much better showing against Mitiamo this Saturday.

As most would have expected, Newbridge were too strong for Marong. Although the scoreline doesn't indicate it, the match was evenly contested for the most part. Two 5 minute bursts at the start of the 2nd and 3rd quarters saw Newbridge kick 8 goals to 0. The game was pretty much sealed from there.

Leon Nixon was pretty impressive kicking 7, however he had very little attention for most of the day. The Big Shev lowered his colours to Jimmy Williams, beaten quite convincingly. While he's sure to kick a few bags this season, he might not have the consistent impact that Newbridge had hoped for. Marong were missing some key players in Sam Milner, Glenn Carson and the yet to be cleared Jacob Dahl. With these players back for round 2, Marong would be expecting a much better showing against Mitiamo this Saturday.
Is the big chuck going to play with the panthers this year hellboy? How did ray kell go?

Is the big chuck going to play with the panthers this year hellboy? How did ray kell go?

Chuck is recovering from a broken leg and is still carrying a fair limp at the moment. I'd suggest this season might be a write off. If you ask Chuck, we are lost without him!

Ray Kell was impressive without being outstanding. Gave plenty of run off a wing and delivered very well. He strained a hammy in the 3rd quarter and spent the majority of the game on the pine after that. Should come up for this weekend.

i heard that newbridge didnt deliver it the way they should to a big guy...i got told they tried to stab pass it to him and not just sit it up high and let him use his size,cause he will be stronger than most blokes one on one...

i heard that newbridge didnt deliver it the way they should to a big guy...i got told they tried to stab pass it to him and not just sit it up high and let him use his size,cause he will be stronger than most blokes one on one...

The couple that Shev got were marks from big kicks that were sat up high and they probably did try to drill him too much. He's certainly not going far out of the goal square. Even when the ball was put up, he played from behind and couldn't mark or the ball dropped short and was marked by a player dropping back in front of him (at their own peril).

Given the new interpretation of a push in the back, which the umpires were red hot on, trying to muscle blokes out while playing from behind might not work very often.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Shev will kick a few bags but won't have things all his own way.

I didn't see all of the game at Mitiamo, however Inglewood started off impressively with some good youngsters coming through. For Miti, Craig Nicholls kicked 10 and Azza McKean clocked up the touches. Good to see some of the Inglewood players sticking around after the game for a few drinks:thumbsu: On the netball front, Miti again will be strong contenders in each grade. Lookout for the new "Locky" girls in A grade.

Is Jimmy still at the Panthers. Went to Uni with Jimmy. What posi does he play nowadays?

I didn't see all of the game at Mitiamo, however Inglewood started off impressively with some good youngsters coming through. For Miti, Craig Nicholls kicked 10 and Azza McKean clocked up the touches. Good to see some of the Inglewood players sticking around after the game for a few drinks:thumbsu: On the netball front, Miti again will be strong contenders in each grade. Lookout for the new "Locky" girls in A grade.

Sharelle McMahon going back to her roots?

So guys, who do we think are going to prevail in Round 2?

I saw Pyramid hill v YCW last week and would suggest that Pyramid vs Newbridge is going to be a cracker.
Pyramid Hill looked very good and with a good on ball brigade and multiple forward options could be hard to beat.

Calivil and YCW will be a tough one to pick as well. Im thinking Calivil just with the home ground advantage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WOW newbridge sound unbeatable at the moment now dont they!! Even though we are only 2 rounds in but Pyramid Hill are a stong side and by beating them that is saying only one thing

WOW newbridge sound unbeatable at the moment now dont they!! Even though we are only 2 rounds in but Pyramid Hill are a stong side and by beating them that is saying only one thing

So what was the scores? how did my pocket size friend go? (shevlin) have seen him pounding the pavement in attempt to stamp his authority on this league! :D

can any one tell me how Ben Fitzpatric from YCW goes. I heard he may not be playing there this year and might play at echuca in the GVFL.

Heard the big Shev struggled a bit on Saturday. Newbridge boys by all reports are up and running and will be a good one this week against the reigning premiers.

Anyone see or hear about Inglewood winning their first game? Unbelieveable, either they have picked up a few and are not too bad or Serp are going to really struggle thiis year.
Good to see the boys have a win... well overdue.

Heard the big Shev struggled a bit on Saturday. Newbridge boys by all reports are up and running and will be a good one this week against the reigning premiers.

Anyone see or hear about Inglewood winning their first game? Unbelieveable, either they have picked up a few and are not too bad or Serp are going to really struggle thiis year.
Good to see the boys have a win... well overdue.

Think you'll find that Serp got up by a couple of goals. Apparently Inglewood should have won, but couldn't shut the game down in the last 1/4

Think you'll find that Serp got up by a couple of goals. Apparently Inglewood should have won, but couldn't shut the game down in the last 1/4

Yer it was a mistake in the paper they do alot more likely to snare a win this season though.

Yer it was a mistake in the paper they do alot more likely to snare a win this season though.

Totally agree i think they will snag more than one this year. Looked very impressive on Saturday with the way they moved the ball, especially for the first three quarters. Just couldn't quite finish it off.

Totally agree i think they will snag more than one this year. Looked very impressive on Saturday with the way they moved the ball, especially for the first three quarters. Just couldn't quite finish it off.

Serp got any players to come into that line up?
What are the expectations for the season?

Serp got any players to come into that line up?
What are the expectations for the season?

Don't think that Serp do have many more to come into the side, i think that was almost them at full strength. Maybe one or two, i'm not exactly sure.
I think their are reasonably high expectations, but we'll have to wait and see.

I know its early, but given what we have seen over the first 2 rounds is anyone game enough to pick a final 5?

If I was to have an early stab at it I am thinking something like:

Newbridge
Pyramid Hill
Calivil
YCW
Mitiamo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back