London 2012 - Sailing

Remove this Banner Ad

That sucked balls hard. Freakin umpires always ruining shit.
TBF that was a 100% stone cold penalty, and as 4GIBBINS34 noted we were probably lucky not to be penalised in the race 4 prestart so on balance we're ahead. Just a couple of our own mistakes dudded us, and you can't afford that in an Olympic final.

Pretty shattering, but it's a young crew. They'll be back.

well sailing was the winner in the end tonight. When we had that first down-wind and caught a few waves and overtook the Spanish, i got out of my chair and did a fist pump. Look forward to the next olympics and our sailing teams sticking it up the rest of the world. Sailing for Australia dominated every other sport we competed in. Hope they get the kudos they deserve.

well sailing was the winner in the end tonight. When we had that first down-wind and caught a few waves and overtook the Spanish, i got out of my chair and did a fist pump. Look forward to the next olympics and our sailing teams sticking it up the rest of the world. Sailing for Australia dominated every other sport we competed in. Hope they get the kudos they deserve.
Yeah, it was a great advertisement. It really is a wonderful sport. It's just a shame that the technical aspect makes it difficult for casual fans to follow.

Just want to say well done and thank you to Caesar for the effort on here this week. Sailing needs more people like you as we try to get more bums on boats. It's the best Past-time you can play and can be affordable for all if you choose the right direction. Just too often some people ruin it by having a space-race and pushing up the cost of boats (10k Sabot) But there are lots of classes that have great social racing at a affordable price. So far I've owned 4 second-hand boats and sold every one for what i paid for it making my costs just membership, wetsuit and maintenance.

Really enjoyed the Sailing in London, Team AUS achieved far more then expected and except for the light wind medal races, most of the racing was very entertaining. The Match racing girls weren't expected to do well so a Medal of any color is an amazing effort and despite being neglected for the first week, it seems the Media and management are finally recognizing what they've achieved with Page carrying the flag home. Well done coaches and team.

Nope. I only found out about it close to the end.

IIRC it looked kind of complicated. I'm not sure I'd be much good at it.
it wasn't very hard, I used to be a bowman so skippering doesn't come naturally to me but did ok. Long game though went from nov 11 to July. Good fun though. :)

As for the sailing that match race was most enjoyable, I can appreciate how hard it is in strong winds, Melville waters gets it from time to time. Cheers for your wisdom in here Caesar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

xboat4.jpg

Aussie Sailors help pick up the swim team's slack with a silver medal swim!

It's the best Past-time you can chose and can be affordable for all if you choose the right direction. Just too often some people ruin it by having a space-race and pushing up the cost of boats (10k Sabot)

Hit the nail on the head there, the space race decimated the Moth class.

Prefer fleet racing to match racing, but hey that's just me.

Aussie sailors have done damn well.

Thanks from me too Caesar. Fantastic regatta by the Aussies - nice to see Australian sailing finally being duly recognised. Shame about the girls last night - in the end perhaps just a little bit of inexperience and lack of composure told - they were the quicker boat but some pretty basic errors cost them the gold. They will be better for the experience and should be better for Rio - assuming they can find a class to sail in!

What a shame that the women's match racing will not be a part of the next games in Rio. Our Aussie crew that won silver has an average age of just 22. Imagine what they could have done in 2016. Real shame!

Just want to say well done and thank you to Caesar for the effort on here this week. Sailing needs more people like you as we try to get more bums on boats. It's the best Past-time you can play and can be affordable for all if you choose the right direction. Just too often some people ruin it by having a space-race and pushing up the cost of boats (10k Sabot) But there are lots of classes that have great social racing at a affordable price. So far I've owned 4 second-hand boats and sold every one for what i paid for it making my costs just membership, wetsuit and maintenance.

Really enjoyed the Sailing in London, Team AUS achieved far more then expected and except for the light wind medal races, most of the racing was very entertaining. The Match racing girls weren't expected to do well so a Medal of any color is an amazing effort and despite being neglected for the first week, it seems the Media and management are finally recognizing what they've achieved with Page carrying the flag home. Well done coaches and team.

Yeah thanks Caesar., you made the thread great reading

Got to say, small boat sailing looks like so much fun to do. I've only ever had a go at surf cats in the Swan River and that was a hoot even while not having a clue what I was doing. I quite like ending up in the drink as well.:)

If you want to have a sail I know Perth and I would imagine other states as well usually has a try sailing day in early November. They have all sorts of boats available from small dinghys right up to large cruisers.

Remove this Banner Ad

London 2012 - Sailing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back