Long term players...

Remove this Banner Ad

May 8, 2003
Hamish Paradise
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Islanders, Nuggets
Which players out there today are absolute certainties to be good players for us over a long period?
LDU
Sheezel
Logue
Curtis
Zurhaar
Larkey?
Comben? If he stays fit.

Phillips and Powell are miles off it.
Taylor and Scott are terrible at moment.
I'm assuming McKay wants out based on his half arsed efforts.

Our list is deplorable and that's mainly on Rawling.

Drafting and subsequent player development has and still is the biggest issue we have at this club. It’s been deplorable for near on 15 years.

So many kids out there are having a consistent impact 2-3 years into their career while ours take 4-6 to get going, then they plateau and we are left with C and D graders.

It needs to be rectified and it needs to be rectified ****ing fast.

Which players out there today are absolute certainties to be good players for us over a long period?
LDU
Sheezel
Logue
Curtis
Zurhaar
Larkey?
Comben? If he stays fit.

Not sure it's on Rawlings until last year's draft but recruiting has got to improve.

Finished bottom 2 in 2020 and 2021 for just about no reason.

Who knows?

Guys like Turner, Scott, Howe, Tucker, Corr etc are just wasting our time.

If we don’t draft high end talent, we are going f#####n nowhere. Clarko or no Clarko.

We can bang on all we like about our youth, but every other club has young players as good as ours, if not better!!!!

The sooner that fact is accepted, the better off we’ll all be.

LDU
Sheezel
Logue
Curtis
Zurhaar
Larkey?
Comben? If he stays fit.

Yes Rawlings is done at the end of the season if the establishment of NMFC has the balls to get rid of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LDU
Sheezel
Logue
Curtis
Zurhaar
Larkey?
Comben? If he stays fit.

Phillips and Powell are early first round mids that we simply can't afford to waste. If they don't make it that immediately puts us 2 years further back. I am not sure we can put that on Rawlings given he's not a recruiter.

I have had serious reservations around Comben's kicking for some time, as it was obvious from his early VFL games that he's just not a good set shot kick. We can't afford a forward who kicks with 25% accuracy. Larkey is a huge worry as well. With his marking and efforts in contesting for the ball, he's either playing injured or he is just not the answer.

I've been defending Scott for a long time here, but his efforts this week were inexcusable.

Yes, Clarko will need to perform miracles

LDU
Sheezel
Logue
Curtis
Zurhaar
Larkey?
Comben? If he stays fit.

'Miles off it.' Settle down, will you. The problem isn't the list, the problem is the development of the players on the list. How many guys under 30 do we have who've improved steadily during their time at the club? LDU, Jy, Larkey, Zurhaar? The hit rate is horrific, and it makes me worry that blokes like Sheezel will regress and that their best games will be their first few.

If you look at Collingwood, they've got a bunch of blokes who work bloody hard and who fit seamlessly into a system despite their limitations. Maynard, McCreery, Murphy, Noble, Mihocek, Johnson. If we had any of those blokes, we'd make them look like D grade footballers and would be calling for their delisting.

There's something absolutely rotten with our development and I believe this needs to be talked about long before we discuss whether this bloke or this bloke isn't up to it. I will make an exception for Kayne Turner, who genuinely isn't up to it and who wouldn't stand out for the Vermont fourths

Last edited:
'Miles off it.' Settle down, will you. The problem isn't the list, the problem is the development of the players on the list. How many guys under 30 do we have who've improved steadily during their time at the club? LDU, Jy, Larkey, Zurhaar? The hit rate is horrific, and it makes me worry that blokes like Sheezel will regress and that their best games will be their first few.

If you look at Collingwood, they've got a bunch of blokes who work bloody hard and who fit seamlessly into a system despite their limitations. Maynard, McCreery, Murphy, Noble, Mihocek, Johnson. If we had any of those blokes, we'd make them look like D grade footballers and would be calling for their delisting.

There's something absolutely rotten with our development and I believe this needs to be talked about long before we discuss whether this bloke or this bloke isn't up to it. I will make an exception for Kayne Turner, who genuinely isn't up to it.

You said it yourself they work within a system. We have no system. I suppose we're trying to develop it but for now, no system

You said it yourself they work within a system. We have no system. I suppose we're trying to develop it but for now, no system
And we haven't had a system that's had any chance of making those dour workhorse types look good since around 2015. It's an issue. I don't know what changed around that time but by golly, something did

LDU
Sheezel
Simpkin
Larkey
Comben
Logue
Wardlaw
B.George
Powell
P.Curtis
Goater
Bergman
Xerri
Phillips
Harvey
Drury
Zurhaar
I did use the words "absolute certainties".
At least eight of those players you've listed are far from that, for a variety of reasons. Including some of which have yet to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Long term players...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back