Longest time on an AFL/VFL list for the least games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dooky

All Australian
Oct 23, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Spurs, Phoenix Suns
Was reminiscing about a Carlton player Luke O'Sullivan - affectionately known as 'the Rhino' by Blues supporters - who managed 52 games for the Blues in a career that spanned a whopping 10 years (1988-1997) at an average of 5.2 games per season.

This got me thinking....who are some other past/current players to have been on a list for a long, long time yet manage very few games?

And, Does 'the Rhino' hold the record in this regard?

Andrew Browne has so far had 7 years on the Freo list for 27 games for an average of 3.9 games per year. He's still on the list for '09 (and will probably be there long after that too), so he might even get that average to drop a little :eek:

Ryley Dunn had 5 years for a total of 8 games.

Yeh interesting...i would say number of years would be more indicative rather than average games per year. i.e. 3 years for 3 games at an average of 1 game a season isn't really the question of the topic...

Daniel McAlister...drafted by Essendon at pick 4 in the 1996 National Draft.

Was delisted at the end of 2001, but redrafted for a further season in 2002 before finally being delisted for good at the end of 2002.

So he was on the Essendon list for a total 6 years for a grand total of 6 AFL games or an average of 1 game per year!!

Yeh interesting...i would say number of years would be more indicative rather than average games per year. i.e. 3 years for 3 games at an average of 1 game a season isn't really the question of the topic...

I'd put money on Browne going close to beating O'Sullivan's record. He should have been delisted 2 or 3 years ago, but he just keeps getting new contracts. He's only got 2 more to go to get to 10 years :eek:

Peter Filandia was listed for 15 consecutive years (1986-2000) at Essendon and Sydney for 83 games, 74 of which were played in 5 seasons.

Andrew Cavedon (8 seasons at Carlton, 2 at Fitzroy) managed 28 games over 10 years.

There have been plenty of other notables, e.g. Peter Freeman, 5 games in 8 seasons at St.Kilda & West Coast. In fairness, some of these players arrived at their initial clubs as 16yo's.

Neale Daniher was on Essendons list from 1979 to 1990 and played only 82 games. That is only 6.83 games per year. Not a record but a rare achievement or lack there of. He was always injured, but could play very well. He actually won their best and fairest in 1981.

Neale Daniher was on Essendons list from 1979 to 1990 and played only 82 games. That is only 6.83 games per year. Not a record but a rare achievement or lack there of. He was always injured, but could play very well. He actually won their best and fairest in 1981.

An absolute gun, a shame he has to be mentioned in such a thread!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wayde Skipper has been on Dogs list for 8 years for 45 games, and got another contract next year :mad: and I don't see him adding to that tally next year unless senior players get injured.

West Adelaide and Port Maggie ruck Darren Bartsch was on a few AFL lists over 4-5 yrs for 0 games.

Big Brent Green was on the Bears then Swans lists for 6-7 yrs for i'd say less than double figures in senior games.

The king of the Ressies Mark Scott 78-89 for the Hawks, Saints and Roys for 78 senior games(but about 100,000 goals in the early games!!)

Another 80's Hawk in Paul Considine had 5-6 yrs on the list for about the same number of games.

Yeh...but if I remember correctly Beau suffered some terrible injuries no?

Absolutely. He had two knee recos and then a procession of hamstring injuries. He only managed 16 games since July 2003.

Remove this Banner Ad

Longest time on an AFL/VFL list for the least games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back