Looking to next year...

Remove this Banner Ad

Premiership window is still very much open. You guys just need more Xfactor. What is the salary cap situation like?

As I said before 1 million goes to riewoldt, and i'ld say about 4 to our next best 11.

So 2.95 mill to the other 26 plus our rookies. yeah.......................

Are 5 B+ players> Riewoldt and 4 depth players? Unfortunately I'ld say yes.

Riewoldt by a mile. He's invaluable.

Lyon's presser:
"Clearly our skill level needs to get better, we need to find some talent and we need to tighten up our system," he said, adding youth already at the club would be given more opportunities.
Shouldn't they already have every opportunity available to them? It's a start, at least.

Throwing Kosi on the trade table will fetch a packet of twisties at best, not worth trading.

This is what, above anything else infuriates me so much about coming so close year after year. We have the core group that really should've made up a premiership team by now, but is continually let down by bit/recycled reject/'role' players that always have to be carried through finals series.

Eddy
McQualter
Peake

Straight up should not be best 22 players in a team seriously gunning for a flag. Depth players at very best..

Look i love Rossy, but he really needs to drop his role player mantra, drop his boys club, drop his 3 year VFL apprenticeship policy and inject some youthful exuberence into the 22. Much like Freo and Geelong.
I don't watch Sandy much, but i bet you anything guys like Steven, Armo, Heyne etc will produce far greater output and reward than continually playing GOP's that won't improve. Look at Macaffer, Blair, Sidebottom, Beams for the Pies. Not only did they do their bit, they will gain a shit load of experience and only come back better players next year. Same cannot be said for the guys above.

Trade week we need to look to youth, ignore the rejects that are on the table and try and jag another 1st round pick. This years top 30 or so look very very strong, with a lot of players all but ready to slot straight into AFL. We desperately desperately need an injection of quality youth into the 22.

No doubts inmy mind that this team will again be up around the business end next year. No doubts at all. But in order to win a flag its just a matter if the club has the balls to try something new.

Agree ( get that unknown guy off your avatar ).

I'm pissed. I'm a big baker fan, but the reason he was left until last week to come in was the same reason he needed to be dropped this week.

Unfortunately we blooded a few this year and it didnt set houses on fire.
Lynch and Heyne were pretty ordinary.
Steven was great but ran out of steam a couple of games in.

Next year I want to see Simpkin, Gaertner, Walsh, Steven, Smith, Lynch, Heyne ,Miles , Cahill and Stanley play every NAB cup game. I want to see the best of them put in the team and kept there for a reasonable run.

One thing is sure. Robert Eddy is not the next big thing. He's OK but he's no improvement on Shane Birss who we unceremoneously dumped.
( I'd have picked Birss ahead of Eddy if we had the choice ).

I dont know or care ( right now ) if Armitage is going to the gold coast but he would have been my number one on the list of player capable of busting a game open in a final, no guarantee's but the capability was there.

i feel for all you fans today, been so close twice and i think it was just a struggle for a lot of players to get up today or i dunno, but seeing your club lose a flag is awful and to see it twice in a row when you havent seen much success must be hard, i hope you guys can win it soon (if the swans dont of course) because i know theres a lot of passionate saints fans on here and out and about who deserve to taste success

Kosi really pissed me off today.
Did absolutely nothing, the commentators talk about just booting it to Riewoldt, but where was Kosi? He started forward didnt he?

Offered nothing. His best contribution is hugging Riewoldt before / after the game. Piss him off.

(really wanted you guys to win)

Will NOT win GF with Dawson and Blake in back 6

I have seen some terrible, terrible opposition posts on our board, but this is probably the worst. Please actually watch a game and realise what these 2 blokes do before you just talk. They are 2 defenders the hawks would kill for and are definitely not the problem.

The problem today was the forwards and midfielders. I thought the backs did well to stem the bleeding and were offered no support further up the field.

Kosi really pissed me off today.
Did absolutely nothing, the commentators talk about just booting it to Riewoldt, but where was Kosi? He started forward didnt he?

Offered nothing. His best contribution is hugging Riewoldt before / after the game. Piss him off.

(really wanted you guys to win)

I think the best thing for us to do next year would be to play kosi as our second string ruck, bmac as the main ruckman and bring rhys stanley in to groom him as a key forward. Using kosi at full forward does not work because the guy cannot take a contested grab..

I'm putting $100 on us to win the premiership in 2011 as soon as I can. I can't wait to see some younger/new blokes in the core team next year and I have full faith in St Kilda to tweak some stuff, gather exactly what we need, and be right up there again. We have Harvey coaching now, so expect the mids to lift.

The reason Pies won is because they poached from the Saints: Luke Ball - he was captain for a reason. And their defense is so good because they got their hands on Max Hudghton.

Bad luck today boys, but now we focus on 2011.

:thumbsu: Fortius Quo Fidelius :thumbsu:

God I wish I had your optimism.

i feel for all you fans today, been so close twice and i think it was just a struggle for a lot of players to get up today or i dunno, but seeing your club lose a flag is awful and to see it twice in a row when you havent seen much success must be hard, i hope you guys can win it soon (if the swans dont of course) because i know theres a lot of passionate saints fans on here and out and about who deserve to taste success

You are one the select few BF posters with a bit og grace. Thankyou my friend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think give Stanley another pre-season and he should show more signs, Kosi and Stanley would be a great ruck duo as both can play up forward and in the ruck, but with Kosi aging and a future all australian ruckman it looks like we have to go with McEvoy.

Also i hope walsh is given games and we attack trade week fiercely.
and as they were saying on triple-m, kosi can't keep the ball in our forward 50, his just to slow. I really hate to say this and I'm sure people will disagree but maybe we try get something for him..........

saints 2011

I dont have a lot of faith in the players who are coming through. It is true what people say, we dont have the depth of other clubs and no one really pushing their case to come into the side.

It's great that posters push the case of Geary, Stevens, Armitage, Stanely etc but IMO if they were ready to hold a place in the side they would already be there.

I dont want to sound like a dick or anything, but our bottom tear players are out of their depth. I dont see anything in these players that is really going to change this.

We either draft some quick youngsters and blood them or we trade and trade well and hope to win a flag in the next 3 years.

I dont have a lot of faith in the players who are coming through. It is true what people say, we dont have the depth of other clubs and no one really pushing their case to come into the side.

It's great that posters push the case of Geary, Stevens, Armitage, Stanely etc but IMO if they were ready to hold a place in the side they would already be there.

I dont want to sound like a dick or anything, but our bottom tear players are out of their depth. I dont see anything in these players that is really going to change this.

We either draft some quick youngsters and blood them or we trade and trade well and hope to win a flag in the next 3 years.

His surname is STEVEN.
Geary held the spot for much of the year, performing at the best level we had seen of him so far. After some fading, Eddy took his spot, but when Eddy started to go lack lustre RL kept him there ( as usual ).
Armo played well at the start of the season but whas injured in the VFL.
Armo tends to fade after he gets a few games in a row, but he' been seen to make an impact in big games and it was a mistake not to play him ( even if he is going north ).

We did draft quick youngsters and some of them were blooded this year.

What I'd like is someone who can kick and mark. How many targets did we miss? How many marks were dropped?

His surname is STEVEN.
Geary held the spot for much of the year, performing at the best level we had seen of him so far. After some fading, Eddy took his spot, but when Eddy started to go lack lustre RL kept him there ( as usual ).
Armo played well at the start of the season but whas injured in the VFL.
Armo tends to fade after he gets a few games in a row, but he' been seen to make an impact in big games and it was a mistake not to play him ( even if he is going north ).

We did draft quick youngsters and some of them were blooded this year.

What I'd like is someone who can kick and mark. How many targets did we miss? How many marks were dropped?
Armitage is not going north and never was...sigh...:confused:

We need attacking half forward flankers whose role it is to not be finding a player to hang onto and tag or tackle - ie Demptser and McQualter -
I am sick of having more than 1-2 players in a team to combat another player in another team. FFS lets get a team of ball players who like to kick goals , take games on and win games. Baker and Jones are enough shutdown type players for one team !!
This probably stems from RL and his game plan and the f...in roles he sets the players in question - Dempster, McQualter.

I know most here will complain and go onto to tell me how good Dempster is and how well he has shut down opposition players but tell me this - Is he influential and skillful enough to become a ball player - Answer No !!!

Yesterday all we did was chase another team around and look for someone to tackle - We didnt get to the ball first and didnt dispose of it correctly even when we had time with it - Lets accept some higher scores kicked against us and play a more exciting brand of footy otherwise when our defenders and mids look up field to see what they can kick to they will see what they saw yesterday - nothing - All the fwds were back in our defensive half trying to the get the ball .

Like any modern day business leader or coach I hope RL is adaptable and open minded enough to take a hard look at our game style. I hope he also realises that just "finding" some new talent is not enough.

No more room for Ross and his favourites please.

Blood the young guys and set our club for the next five.

If we don't start blooding some youth, we are going to fall very hard in years to come.

Steven, Armitage (if he's still here), Stanley and Miles need to come in (and others need to be given a greater opportunity).

Gardiner to retire means McEvoy is #1 ruck, Kosi and Stanley float between forward, ruck and bench.
Steven in for Mcqualter/Eddy, Armitage in for Peake and Miles in for Blake/Dempster - From the few times we saw Miles he added attack and run from the backline.

Our current bottom ~6 players aren't going to support our stars to a flag, and when you compare them to Collingwood you can see why we lost (among other reasons). Therefore, we need to swap in some youth - it won't make the team any worse, but will probably improve it.

All summer we need to train the majority of our players how to stay cool and handball under extreme pressure, it hurt us last year and it did again yesterday. In the warm-up you could see Collingwood doing the keepings off drill which really mimmicks the actual game and would've helped them a lot.

I think we'll still be there abouts next year and can push for the flag again, however for this to happen some changes need to be made.

Armitage is not going north and never was...sigh...:confused:

If he really did sign on again, the man must really love the club. Would not have begrudged him one bit for walking out. Spending 4 years in the VFL is not the way most envision their AFL careers to start out. Especially when it looks like he's done very little to deserve it, from an onfield point of view.

Agree ( get that unknown guy off your avatar ).
Seems everyone knows who he is now.

Next year Lenny has to be captain.

Forwards can too easily go missing in games. Midfielders of Lennys quality are always in the game.

Reiwoldt was embarrassing as captain yesterday

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking to next year...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back