Looking to purchase a portable multimedia player

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey, I am looking to purchase an mp3 player basically. I'm looking for something that holds a fair bit say 20 gig minimum. Prefferably colour screen but I don't care 2 much bout that. Dont need fancy ******** like a camera or bein able to view photos.

FM Radio needed, AM prefferably too

as long as it isn't a dodgey Ipod ill be okay.

you guys got any tips? I am not looking to spend more than 300 prefferably but I am not too sure of the pricing so that may have to change.

Go the Iriver.
FM Radio - None come with AM radio, holds 20gig, can play wma's, record voice and line in, Full colour screen to view photos & even videos (at 20 frames per second), you can put music bought from Napster or any other music store.
Will set you back about $400 to $500, but well worth it.
**********s all over the icrap which doesn't have a FM radio unless you buy a $49.95 add-on, doesn't record voice or line in, doesn't have video play back, but you can buy a photo icrap for more, doesn't play wma files, you can only buy music through itunes if you want to buy music, but there is no Australian itunes store, but does snyc well with itunes.

Battery on both are around the same, but the icrap will die within 18 months and Apple doesn't like to replace things, look at the nano, and reviews and user mail in APC, there's a lot of unhappy apple people.

Up to you really, but I'll put it the way Kevin Rose from this week in tech.
"If you want to pick up using your mp3 player get an ipod, if you want a real mp3 player, get a iRiver"

funny how it's only those that don't own ipods that are so eager to talk about how ******** they are.. anyone that owns one seems pretty content, so they can't be all bad, eh?

he said "FM Radio needed, AM prefferably too"
a icrap doesn't have a inbuilt FM radio, no MP3 player has a AM radio.
He also said "as long as it isn't a dodgey Ipod ill be okay"
icraps are a bit like "my first mp3 player" they work well for the simple-tons who want something which looks cool, is "in" at the moment, and stands out.

Irivers are just as easy to use with a hell of a lot more inbuilt feature.

go team said:
funny how it's only those that don't own ipods that are so eager to talk about how ******** they are.. anyone that owns one seems pretty content, so they can't be all bad, eh?

Yeah much like that website that ipod users made to complain about the nano hey?

one such as an iRiver that plays video too would be good but that would be what 500 atleast?

iPods are a dieing craze because people are realising how unreliable and poor they are. the sound quality and menu in particular are shocking.

what are some other ones that play video to on about a 3 inch screen?

are you saying that the sound quality and menu are garbage?

or that me saying that they are is garbage?

I have listened to many an ipod and the sound quality has been very average on all occasions and the menu was very clunky and hard to use.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

melbournemartin said:
or that me saying that they are is garbage?

Yes

melbournemartin said:
I have listened to many an ipod and the sound quality has been very average on all occasions and the menu was very clunky and hard to use.

Throw away the $10 ear buds and use something a little more upmarket. Most things are going to sound like rubbish through stock earphones.

Menu clunky and hard to use? You sure you were using an ipod?

i didnt like the cirle menu thingy at all. i found it hard to control.

what i found interesting was that my $25 sony head phones on some ******** old 512MB mp3 player no name brand sound much better dan stock ipod headphones.

Sexiano Ronaldo said:
Yes

Throw away the $10 ear buds and use something a little more upmarket. Most things are going to sound like rubbish through stock earphones.

Menu clunky and hard to use? You sure you were using an ipod?

I'll leave the poor sound quality alone. I'm no big audiophile, so that wouldn't make a huge diffrence to me.

But, poor menu? Thats always been touted the iPods biggest, best feature. The menu/click wheel combo.

I know this'll made no diffrence to your decision, but Apple released new iPods today that will play video.

http://www.apple.com/au/ipod/ipod.html

For what its worth MM, i got a Creative Zen Micro which has been fantastic for me - perhaps looking at the Zen could be a good idea.

creative zen's would be my #1 choice for an mp3 player but I can get the iriver music AND video player for 270 america, comes to about 400 aussie after postage n exchage etc.

and thanks a lot for the Dons Rule, i didnt know about that one. it does look nice but 500 american price and the screen is so small that it wouldn't be worth it. also apple have very poor customer service but thanks for the headsup mate :)

melbournemartin said:
creative zen's would be my #1 choice for an mp3 player but I can get the iriver music AND video player for 270 america, comes to about 400 aussie after postage n exchage etc.

and thanks a lot for the Dons Rule, i didnt know about that one. it does look nice but 500 american price and the screen is so small that it wouldn't be worth it. also apple have very poor customer service but thanks for the headsup mate :)

Creative have just released their very first music/video/photo player called the Zen Vision. You can get that for $400US on the Internet now, possibly cheaper. This should be a preferred option mate. All the reviews speak glowingly of it, whereas the iRiver reviews are more inconsistent and varied. Just my opinion mate.

FTR, I own a Creative Zen Touch 20GB (music player only) and love it, have never had a problem with it, and you can score that on the net reasonably cheaply these days.

400US is a bit out of my price range.

the only negatives about the iRiver PMP 120 that I have found are:

confusing controls (This wont be the case given time and it isn't overly important)
no video recording (It is a portable video/music player, not a digital camera)
the USB on the go doesnt work with all cameras (i dont have a digital camera and even if i did, would just put the pics onto my comp den the iriver)
some encoded WMA files dont work (i dont have any WMA files. all mp3s)
battery life lasts only 4ish hours of non stop video (about on par with all other portable video players, no biggy)

none of those are of any concern to me. i'd get the zen vision if i had the dough probably but i dont see it being worth the extra money as the iriver will do just fine for my needs.

and dascman, i have some mates with that creative zen touch, i have listened to it and i really think it is a superb mp3 player, much better sound quality and menu then the ipod. i'd probably get a creative if i got just an mp3 player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking to purchase a portable multimedia player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back