Media LoonStats: Statistics of Season 27 margins and scores

Remove this Banner Ad

Hello ladies and gentlemen of the Sweet FA.

For Season 26 I presented a thread looking at the results in a statistical way.
Here is that thread:

Today, I will present the findings for the Season 27 results.

Histogram of Margins
As we began last time, here is a histogram of every margin from Season 27.
This looks a little less normally distributed than last season, but we can still see a reasonably even shape about 0, the expected mean (actual mean: 0.9, so the average result is approximately a 1 point win for the home team). The blue curve shows a true normal distribution, so we do see that there are more low negative margins than expected if the results were truly normal, but there are fewer mid-range negative margins than expected.

Conducting a Shapiro-Wilk test to test for normality:
The p-value is now above 0.05, so we are able to reject the hypothesis that the margins are normally distributed at the 95% confidence level. Interestingly, this is not the result we obtained last season!

Comparison of Home and Away Scores
We will now compare home and away scores.
First, their distributions.

701569 701570
We see here that away scores have a longer tail towards higher scores, while the home score tail goes further towards lower scores. There are more home scores in the 110-140 range however.
Last season we were able to observe the overlap, as both home scores and away scores were accepted to be normal by the Shapiro-Wilk test. This time however, neither distribution passes the Shapiro-Wilk test, so we are unable to provide an image of their overlap.

We may, however, use a t-test to see whether the true difference in the means of the distributions of home scores and away scores is significantly different from 0.
The p-value here is 0.7732, which is much greater than 0.05. Therefore we cannot reject the hypothesis that the true difference in means is 0.
Once again, applying the Kolmogorov-Smirnov test, we obtain a result of 0.9207 for the p-value - therefore we once again cannot reject the hypothesis that the distributions are the same.

Other Stuff
The average margin in Season 27 was 24 points.
Home sides won 52 games in Season 27, Away sides won 51 games and there were 2 draws.
The median margin in Season 27 was 19 points. The largest margin was 85 points, which was the largest away win. The largest home win was 68 points.

Thank you for reading. I will now take questions.

Here is that thread:

Histogram of Margins
View attachment 701564
This looks a little less normally distributed than last season, but we can still see a reasonably even shape about 0, the expected mean (actual mean: 0.9, so the average result is approximately a 1 point win for the home team). The blue curve shows a true normal distribution, so we do see that there are more low negative margins than expected if the results were truly normal, but there are fewer mid-range negative margins than expected.

View attachment 701566
The p-value is now above 0.05, so we are able to reject the hypothesis that the margins are normally distributed at the 95% confidence level. Interestingly, this is not the result we obtained last season!

View attachment 701569View attachment 701570
We see here that away scores have a longer tail towards higher scores, while the home score tail goes further towards lower scores. There are more home scores in the 110-140 range however.
Last season we were able to observe the overlap, as both home scores and away scores were accepted to be normal by the Shapiro-Wilk test. This time however, neither distribution passes the Shapiro-Wilk test, so we are unable to provide an image of their overlap.

We may, however, use a t-test to see whether the true difference in the means of the distributions of home scores and away scores is significantly different from 0.
View attachment 701572
The p-value here is 0.7732, which is much greater than 0.05. Therefore we cannot reject the hypothesis that the true difference in means is 0.
Once again, applying the Kolmogorov-Smirnov test, we obtain a result of 0.9207 for the p-value - therefore we once again cannot reject the hypothesis that the distributions are the same.

Other Stuff
Home sides won 52 games in Season 27, Away sides won 51 games and there were 2 draws.
The median margin in Season 27 was 19 points. The largest margin was 85 points, which was the largest away win. The largest home win was 68 points.

This garbage is not supported or endorsed by the Furies Institute for Stats and Stats Posting, and therefore has zero credibility and should be landfilled.

Tigerturbulance can the Institute publish it's pie chart on the ratio of boring arse stats that Loonerty posts to one's people actually give a shit about?

This garbage is not supported or endorsed by the Furies Institute for Stats and Stats Posting, and therefore has zero credibility and should be landfilled.

Tigerturbulance can the Institute publish it's pie chart on the ratio of boring arse stats that Loonerty posts to one's people actually give a **** about?
Here's a pie chart for the things you should do:

Regression of average round margin
Here is a plot showing the average margin each round:
Linear regression has been performed, as seen in red. We see that there is a slight increase, however the slope of this line is not significantly different from 0 at a 95% confidence level.

There you are Yakker.

Regression of average round margin
Here is a plot showing the average margin each round:
View attachment 701592
Linear regression has been performed, as seen in red. We see that there is a slight increase, however the slope of this line is not significantly different from 0 at a 95% confidence level.

There you are Yakker.
I knew I could count on your due diligence Loons. Carry on!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is that thread:

Histogram of Margins
View attachment 701564

View attachment 701566

View attachment 701569View attachment 701570

View attachment 701572

Other Stuff

Excellent analysis , no wonder Loonerty featured in my Beez votes.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Media LoonStats: Statistics of Season 27 margins and scores

Remove this Banner Ad

Back