Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
Me and my band were talking about the loudest gigs/concerts we'd ever been to at practise today. What's the loudest show you've ever been to?

Maiden, Motorhead, Slayer and the Gunners in '88 came to mind. But I have to give it to one of the times I saw Strapping Young Lad. It was in around '99, and I still wasn't wearing earplugs to every show at that stage. This was the show that inspired me to do so. They played the 900 capacity Corner Hotel at a volume they could quite comfortably have played the 4000 capacity Festival Hall, and probably even Rod Laver Arena. It was so f*cking loud it was putting my centre of gravity off, and I felt quite ill for ages afterwards. I'm amazed it didn't do permanent damage, coz my ears were ringing severely for at least 5-6 days after. Came away from that show saying to myself "I GOTTA wear earplugs to every show from now on". Still loved it, tho!!!

I'm the same. I only started wearing earplugs a few years ago, but my ear drums still suffered 4-5 years of damage. Pantera were probably the loudest. But I was right up the front of the pit, in front of Dime.. but for the majority of gigs it's usually the smaller, tighter venues that are usually have the loudest sound. Been to a few over here in small venues, Gojira were unbelievably loud.

I remember there was a small little goth girl standing next to me at Pantera with her spikes and glasses (and 40 other huge bastards around us). I tried to warn her.... it only took the first riff of Slaughtered (first song) for her to be crushed :D

I'm the same. I only started wearing earplugs a few years ago, but my ear drums still suffered 4-5 years of damage. Pantera were probably the loudest. But I was right up the front of the pit, in front of Dime.. but for the majority of gigs it's usually the smaller, tighter venues that are usually have the loudest sound. Been to a few over here in small venues, Gojira were unbelievably loud.

I remember there was a small little goth girl standing next to me at Pantera with her spikes and glasses (and 40 other huge bastards around us). I tried to warn her.... it only took the first riff of Slaughtered (first song) for her to be crushed :D

So the poor little thing got slaughtered to Slaughtered???

I saw Pantera twice, but actually didn't find them as loud as some other bands. Often depends where you're standing.....

So the poor little thing got slaughtered to Slaughtered???

I saw Pantera twice, but actually didn't find them as loud as some other bands. Often depends where you're standing.....

I used to be a pit man, I still head down there depending on the band. Now I'm more of a halfway, in the middle, between the soundboard kind of man.

mmmmm loud music.......we love it.......until we cop permanent ear damage. I did the worst damage to my ears at a Midnight Oil show at a smallish hall at Melbourne Uni - up the front and there was a bit of aggro in the crowd so I was yelling at someone which might have made it worse. Ears rang for about a year afterward and still prone to ring after loud noises.

Look after your ears.

I used to be a pit man, I still head down there depending on the band. Now I'm more of a halfway, in the middle, between the soundboard kind of man.

EXACTLY where I like to stand these days. I like to get as close as I can, without being in the actual pit. I want to be able to WATCH the band!!!! And I like to be able to headbang in my own time and space....

Motley Crue in 91 (?) at Rod Laver was ridiculously loud. I remember reading of a few law suits after that coz people had permanent hearing damage. It was over the top.

And Motorhead's set in support of Motley's tour early last year at Voda was also bloody loud too.

Saw Shihad at the Corner years ago with Front End Loader and that was mingin pretty hard too.

id say dillinger escape plan and slipknot both at the palace in 05, buzzcox at the prince in 03, and faith no more at festival hall in 97.

kraftwerk at the metro in 04 was also surprisingly loud.

Dad took me to Ministry when I was 13 (I think). I almost lost my mind it was so loud.

Mampi Swift at Fabric in London just about blew my head off. They have a serious sound system(s) at that place :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Megadeth at QBH 2005 was loud but all over the place, not half as clear as Dungeon who played first.

Screaming Jets at Mercury Lounge, about 2001 was loud and fantastic.

But for me the loudest was AC/DC at the Tennis Centre in 1990. The gig itself was loud enough, but with the finale of "For Those About To Rock", the cannons blew my ears to kingdom come. Not bad for the 1st & 2nd gig this duck waddled along to(the 2nd in particular was loud because of our closer seats).

These days I prefer to be up at the front, right flank, right next to the speakers. Things just don't seem as loud anymore.

I saw Jimmy Barnes at The Entertainment Center around the late 80's and he was so loud i couldn't understand a thing he was saying all night. It was so bad that he was playing a well known song and i couldn't make out what the song was until half way through.
We had really good seats but he was just way to loud and distorted.

As for Gigs i actually liked i remember AC/ DC were pretty bloody loud.
Metalica back in 93 or whatever was pretty loud but the sound was spot on and we had great seats.:cool:

Worst case of ear ringing was The Angels at the Excellcior Hotel (Thomastown) in 85. I was right up front near left speaker and my ears were ringing for weeks and weeks. I copped damage that night and have had problems ever since.
Great gig though. I was 16 and drinking Crown Lager all night with my brother. He was more smashed then me then he drove us home almost taking out a parked car, a lamp post and an old drunk.
Ahhhhhh those were the days.:p

My ears rang for about two days after Alice in Chains at Festival Hall , they only lasted about seven or eight songs though before going off:(

Tool @ the tennis Centre a few years back on the lateralus tour was the loudest gig I've ever experienced. The sound was that penetrating I almost had to block my ears a few times. I remeber my partner crouched in her chair because the bass from the drums and bass guitar was making her heart skip beats and she was losing breath, very strange.

To get a venue of such magnitude blarring, thats fuc..ing loud!!

Ministry come to mind also. I remember actually being scared at that show, It felt like i had entered a porthole into hell. The noise was unbearably loud and evil.

Deftones at the corner had my ears whistling for a few hours afterwards. In fact, too much metal/rock act in a confined space is premature deafness in a can.

Tool @ the tennis Centre a few years back on the lateralus tour was the loudest gig I've ever experienced. The sound was that penetrating I almost had to block my ears a few times. I remeber my partner crouched in her chair because the bass from the drums and bass guitar was making her heart skip beats and she was losing breath, very strange.
Seconded.

If I wasn't drunk and on drugs, I reckon it would have been unbearable!

That's weird. I saw Tool at Melbourne's Festering Hall roughly 10 years ago, and they were anything but really loud. I was insanely disappointed, it took away alot of the intensity that I was expecting from them, and I felt totally let down by the gig. Has turned me off seeing them again.
(that and the fact the quality of their output has dropped since Aenima. Lateralus was ok, but the new one's shyte)

Remove this Banner Ad

Loud!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back