News Lower Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Think that could be the worst mistake you would make playing him off half back. Simply doesn't have the skill set

Lets be honest, not competing much with our defenders skills wise. We aren't much chop.

What's his pace like?

Well I can often be accused of making rash emotion charged posts, this time I am just going to say what I'm feeling after havin time to digest. I'm heartbroken about this, nick lower is everything you would want in a club man, he is a bull at a gate, gives 100%, 100% of the time and is a clearance machine, I could get angry at bond again but really I'm just sad that we could let this guy go..... I really am.

I will say this to the bulldogs supporters if you play him as a half back you are idiots. He is a midfielder and a very tough competitor. If the ball is in between lower and mzungu/Pearce/d Pearce you will win it every time, play him as a mid and you will put Daniel cross into retirement.

All the best nick, you should never have been delisted by us and we will rue this decision, of that I have no doubt

Agree with this. I'm pretty bummed out about it. :(

Lets be honest, not competing much with our defenders skills wise. We aren't much chop.

What's his pace like?

Lower is no back flanker. He's a great inside mid though.

If you need flankers, Roberton is your man. Very talented kid and with another 8 kilos on his frame he could just about play Centre Half Back.

Lower is no back flanker. He's a great inside mid though.

If you need flankers, Roberton is your man. Very talented kid and with another 8 kilos on his frame he could just about play Centre Half Back.

He's not a great inside mid, Mitchell is a great inside mid.

It doesn't matter. Anything is better than nothing. Look up some of the trades this year and in year gone by. Even spuds get something. Sydney got pick 47 for Trent Dennis-Lane. There's no harm in trying and a pick in the 60's-80's is better than pick 8 or whatever in the Pre-Season draft. It could be the difference between the player you want and the next best.

Best 22 nonsense doesn't mean a thing. It doesn't mean he won't be in the best 22 at another club.

Exactly right. If you look at Lower in isolation it is true he may have gotten at best a mid to late 2nd rounder. But in totality we have now given away 3 players with trade currency and in return turned pick 60 into 37. Bit of creativity and doing the hard work with some trades and with Broughton/Lower/Roberton and we could have at least turned 60 into a pick in the 20's and got the KPF we missed out on. Poor poor poor list management.

Nick Lower - Too slow to play anywhere but on ball, too poor a kick to have an outside game, too tough at the contest to be delisted.

He's the kind of guy I'd love in a grade football competition. Nobody can take a mark to save their lives up forward anyway but he would ALWAYS win the ball out of the middle.

Exactly right. If you look at Lower in isolation it is true he may have gotten at best a mid to late 2nd rounder. But in totality we have now given away 3 players with trade currency and in return turned pick 60 into 37. Bit of creativity and doing the hard work with some trades and with Broughton/Lower/Roberton and we could have at least turned 60 into a pick in the 20's and got the KPF we missed out on. Poor poor poor list management.

I disagree Cat. The three players you mention were struggling to get a game and played a collective handful in total.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree Cat. The three players you mention were struggling to get a game and played a collective handful in total.

Gee Fred the Eagles, Swans, Saints and Tigers all got picks in the 40's for a single fringe player alone
Ashcroft got on radio and positively gloated about how he'd paid unders at 37 for Broughton alone
I don't think it's too much to expect better than what we got.

More disappointed than I was with losing Broughton, but meh, we can't have our cake and eat it too. Opens up a spot for some young blood. :thumbsu:

You took the words out of my mouth hoss.

As much as I liked Lower, I think he is a good player and think he was great depth I would much rather see Sheridan, Mitchie, Neale, Sutcliffe or Mora getting games in his place next yr.

Best of luck to him but I honestly think we have plenty to replace him (not that he was even in the best 22).

Gee Fred the Eagles, Swans, Saints and Tigers all got picks in the 40's for a single fringe player alone
Ashcroft got on radio and positively gloated about how he'd paid unders at 37 for Broughton alone I don't think it's too much to expect better than what we got.

This failure flowed on to the lack of more talls ie a forward taken by us. Josh you had to take at 17, a lower pick than 37 would have increased our chances of a forward ala Mason Shaw. The $$ due to Broughts in 2013 which scared Port away also was a failure on Freo's part. We could have worn it.

Maybe the reason we get under value is because we've played hardball at the trade table in previous years regarding Bradley, McPhee and Dawson?

Ashcroft got on radio and positively gloated about how he'd paid unders at 37 for Broughton alone
I don't think it's too much to expect better than what we got.

With all due respect Cat, what pick did the Eagles get and for whom ?
They definitely paid overs for Wellingham.
We were never going to get anything for Robbo when clubs knew all along they could get him for stuff all in PSD.
Broughton played how many games in 2012, 4 maybe 5 ? and has reportedly got a suss back.
You've got me at a disadvantage regarding the fringe players Swans, Saints and Tigers traded for better picks than 37 which we got for Broughts.
We don't have one lemon on our list now IMO and our list is the best we've ever had.
As for Ashcroft saying he paid unders, the truth be known he was one of only a few clubs that could afford Greg's contract.
That seriously compromised our position. Bond was faced with a high pay packet to Greg when he wasn't going to be getting a regular game under Ross Lyon. For smartarse Ashcroft to say he paid unders , he's only telling half the story.

Maybe the reason we get under value is because we've played hardball at the trade table in previous years regarding Bradley, McPhee and Dawson?

I think that may partly explain it, we have a reputation at being difficult to trade with. But it's also partly that we just stuffed up.

He's not a great inside mid, Mitchell is a great inside mid.

Maybe I've misread this, but are you saying that a little bloke playing WAFL is easily a better inside mid than a bloke that has done pretty well as an inside mid at AFL level, when he's got his chances there?

And without a sarcastic smiley?

With all due respect Cat, what pick did the Eagles get and for whom ?
They definitely paid overs for Wellingham.
We were never going to get anything for Robbo when clubs knew all along they could get him for stuff all in PSD.
Broughton played how many games in 2012, 4 maybe 5 ? and has reportedly got a suss back.
You've got me at a disadvantage regarding the fringe players Swans, Saints and Tigers traded for better picks than 37 which we got for Broughts.
We don't have one lemon on our list now IMO and our list is the best we've ever had.
As for Ashcroft saying he paid unders, the truth be known he was one of only a few clubs that could afford Greg's contract.
That seriously compromised our position. Bond was faced with a high pay packet to Greg when he wasn't going to be getting a regular game under Ross Lyon. For smartarse Ashcroft to say he paid unders , he's only telling half the story.

Hey Fred no worries that you are happy and I am not, I'm a glass half empty girl
Don't want to be a smart alec but Eagles got a pick in the 40's for Stevens. And Broughts played 15 games this year

Hey Fred no worries that you are happy and I am not, I'm a glass half empty girl
Don't want to be a smart alec but Eagles got a pick in the 40's for Stevens. And Broughts played 15 games this year

That would be pick 45 then for Eagles which is probably fair enough for Koby.
Remember Broughton had a backended contract which is probably $300 k plus. That limited possible suitors.
Ok , I'm embarrassed about the 15 games figure that Greg played . I should've checked first. It seemed far less I hasten to add.
Once again, I am delighted with the shape our list is in. We have nil spuds and stacks of exciting potential.

Well I can often be accused of making rash emotion charged posts, this time I am just going to say what I'm feeling after havin time to digest. I'm heartbroken about this, nick lower is everything you would want in a club man, he is a bull at a gate, gives 100%, 100% of the time and is a clearance machine, I could get angry at bond again but really I'm just sad that we could let this guy go..... I really am.

I will say this to the bulldogs supporters if you play him as a half back you are idiots. He is a midfielder and a very tough competitor. If the ball is in between lower and mzungu/Pearce/d Pearce you will win it every time, play him as a mid and you will put Daniel cross into retirement.

All the best nick, you should never have been delisted by us and we will rue this decision, of that I have no doubt
Agree with this. Wanted him in the team every week, but injuries prevented this. The work he puts in at every contest, desperation, is phenomenal.

He will beat your best mids in training and you'll want him in there. If you have clean users of the ball he'll let them spread and put in the heavy work and lay tackle after tackle for next the turnover. These guys that don't rate him must be ball watching.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Lower Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back