Toast Luke Ball Address to Players After Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks TD posting that, like rand corp stated above, I'm also a huge fan and great to see Luke Ball really feel enough of the leadership group to do that.

Didn't see the game at all last night, nor a replay, but it does seem, without being disrespectful to Brisbane, that the boys are just biding time till the finals, same as last year.

Didak's form seems to have been a major positive, good he and Beams have returned from long stints out and finding lots of the ball.

Didn't like the pictures in the paper of the bake TBH. But MM's been under an enormous amount of pressure lately ( thanks to the press looking to punch holes somewhere/anywhere into Collingwood, principally led by that buffoon Robbo) and I guess he's only human and it's going to come out somewhere.

Interesting that he feels entitled to address the players like that considering he's still a new addition to the team. Would probably be captain of that side if he was there a bit longer.

Thought Ball had a great game last night, really stood out that he was working his ass off and going in for the hardball while I thought the rest of our midfielders were a bit slack.

Interesting that he feels entitled to address the players like that considering he's still a new addition to the team. Would probably be captain of that side if he was there a bit longer.

He doesn't have a sense of entitlement. He refused to part of the leadership group last year, until the other players we ready to accept him as a Pie. The bloke has won a premiership with us now, he will be remembered as a Collingwood player...and not a Saint. He has been at the club for close to two years now.

We aren't Carlton. We don't just anoint a player captain as soon as they arrive at the club.

I think Bally has earnt respect from everyone even people outside the club for the constant week in week out effort he puts in. I can only imagine what he trains like. Champion.

Entitled? It is not the first time he or Jolly (in fact Jolly got them together at the qtr time break before they went to MM) have addressed the group since being invited into the fold.

It is the reason we are a well drilled and disciplined unit. It is not left up to one or two people to lead the team. If you are in the leadership group at Collingwood you are expected to stand up at some point and take responsibility for getting the side up and running when they need it.

Same for MM, he cares not if you are a first game player or a vet. If you do not follow the plan you will be held accountable with no excuses.

Luke Ball is one of the biggest reasons we are sitting a game clear on top with two rounds to go in our bid to go back to back. And not just because he is the great extractor.

Anyone that suggest Luke Ball is in anyway cheap, has obviously paid no attention to him over the last 2 years. Absolutely ridiculous comment. LB is pure CLASS!

It's great to have so many wonderful leaders at the club, but we have to ask why has there been such a lack of intensity this year?

I could probably count the number of high intensity 4 quarter games we've had on just one hand.

Although last night I thought we were definetly managing our midfielders time on the ground, I heard that Dids only had 73% game time in the first half and only seemed like Swanny was the only one playing in the midfield for all 4 quarters. Ball was sent up forward a bit and I saw Pendles off the half back for a bit. Young and Blair were getting a lot of gametime in the midfield which is unusual and Beams played the whole game in the midfield too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think itś time for the player group to address the coming final series by applying themselves for the next two friday nights .....

Bally is pure class, should be our next captain. If Maxy isnt back and we are playing off in the GF Luke Ball could even find himself as a Premiership captain this year. Once again thanks Ross:):thumbsu:

Anybody who thinks Luke isn't a natural leader and absolute gentleman on and off the field has been hiding under a rock for the last couple of years. His demeanor after the GF replay shows exactly the type of class act he is. BLOODY thankful he's a Collingwood champion.

Exchange the word "Brad" for "Eat" in your username and go do it! :thumbsu:

ROFL - Brilliant. hahahahahahaha.
What tool would write such garbage in the first place.
Ball is one of the best things to happen to our club and that moron writes crap like that. I somehow have a feeling he is just pretending to be a Collingwood supporter to stir things up.

yea these cheap shots are real funny..
perhaps some of you should learn from some of the 'class' and 'integrity' of this 'gentleman' Luke Ball before you go insulting fellow supporters on the board with an opinion different to your own.
Regardless I think a few people here are being a bit naive.. it was after the game was over, while cameras are still rolling, with the captain away and heading down to the rooms where there will be a debrief anyway, in private. It wasn't to anyones benefit and I doubt any of the senior players would have thought it was necessary.
Luke ball is a great player and he's been good for Collingwood, but plays like this are him getting ahead of himself and he should have stood back and let Pendles address as acting captain.
Have a listen to Pendles interview last week, when asked about the captaincy he said he was just there to support maxy.. that where Luke Ball should have been.. just there to support Pendles as acting captain, not trying to do his job.
And as for calling for him to be made captain.. oh please he's great but he still a St Kilda player in a Collingwood jumper, give him a few more years to get that stain out before entertaining ideas like this.. so many guys ahead of him in line for the captaincy.

perhaps some of you should learn from some of the 'class' and 'integrity' of this 'gentleman' Luke Ball before you go insulting fellow supporters on the board with an opinion different to your own.
Regardless I think a few people here are being a bit naive.. it was after the game was over, while cameras are still rolling, with the captain away and heading down to the rooms where there will be a debrief anyway, in private. It wasn't to anyones benefit and I doubt any of the senior players would have thought it was necessary.
Luke ball is a great player and he's been good for Collingwood, but plays like this are him getting ahead of himself and he should have stood back and let Pendles address as acting captain.
Have a listen to Pendles interview last week, when asked about the captaincy he said he was just there to support maxy.. that where Luke Ball should have been.. just there to support Pendles as acting captain, not trying to do his job.
And as for calling for him to be made captain.. oh please he's great but he still a St Kilda player in a Collingwood jumper, give him a few more years to get that stain out before entertaining ideas like this.. so many guys ahead of him in line for the captaincy.

Sorry, can't have any of this, but mainly:

"but plays like this are him getting ahead of himself and he should have stood back and let Pendles address as acting captain" - I watched him and Pendles before this and the spoke to each other so Pendles can't have had a problem with it. Other players address the group all the time.

"but he still a St Kilda player in a Collingwood jumper" - how outrageous.

As the saying goes, sometimes it's best to say nothing and let people think you're one.

do you go for collingwood or st kilda ?

not the twilight zone mate..
try
Scott Pendlebury
Dane Swan
Dale Thomas
Harry O'brien
Heath Shaw ;)
Travis Cloke
Reid,
Tooves.
all to me have dibs on it before Bally..
then new blood like Dawes, Wellers, Sidey will all be megastars by the next time the captaincy is up for grabs.

Go_Brad_Dick - I respect your opinion but disagree. Some of the potshots at you here have been a bit harsh (and I did try not to laugh ;))

The CFC players with the exception of probably Keefe and the internationals would have grown up with the practice of "two captains in the playground picking teams". They would have grown up with the law of the jungle that is the playground and know what jungle leadership is all about. And you risk getting the stuffing kicked out of you if you go doing something stupid like usurping a leader that you can't kick the stuffing out of first.

The CFC do give the players leadership training, and I'd imagine CFC would be able to afford the best.

So, I'm guessing the players would have a fair idea about honour and respect what is / isn't the done thing when it comes to leadership. Particularly Ball who has been a club captain in the past (albeit another club) and is now a member of our leadership group.

Re: Him being seen as a St Kilda player. That's subjective, and everybody is going to have a different opinion about when the crossover happens. But he's now earnt the right to have his name permanently on the number 12 locker, and he's a lifetime member of Collingwood by virtue of him being a Premiership player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back