Luke Darcy - Laws of the Game Committee

Remove this Banner Ad

Adrian Anderson cops most of the flak (and deservedly so) for many of the ridiculous rule changes that happen in the AFL, but surely Darcy could potentially be just as bad. Another ridiculous idea from a man who actually has a say in how our game is played.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/118074/default.aspx

The recent hands in the back rule encouraged teams to kick long to a contest more often, and a direct consequence has been the return of a weekly array of mark of the year contenders. Everyone would agree that this is a magnificent result. Is there an equally simple way to bring back the torp?

The nine-point super goal is a great feature of the NAB Cup, but my main reservation about bringing it into the season proper is the way it would alter the historical scoring record. Perhaps it is worth trialling a torpedo rule, where every spiral kicked successfully from outside the 50m arc gives the scoring team a free kick at the centre bounce rather than a ball up. Or a couple of times a game, each team could elect to kick a torp from outside 50 with 12 points being awarded for a goal. Or even make it compulsory for one full-back kick-in per quarter to be a torp.

I like the torp too, but making rules to specifically encourage it is idiotic. The torp still happens anyway (Bradshaw and Thomas), there's no need to suggest a rule change just because it was good to see Anthony Rocca slot one earlier this week.

When they kick long to the square to a pack situation - i don't know why players don't kick more torps now.

The variability of the torp means the blokes with their eye on the ball are favoured - which more often than not is the forward - as the defender is equally occupied by what his opponent is doing.

When they kick long to the square to a pack situation - i don't know why players don't kick more torps now.

The variability of the torp means the blokes with their eye on the ball are favoured - which more often than not is the forward - as the defender is equally occupied by what his opponent is doing.

Exactly, it's not uncommon to see a torp that doesn't come off drop short, blokes with eyes on the footy will read that and get to the fall of the ball. It's a useful tool at times without making rules to encourage it.

Perhaps it is worth trialling a torpedo rule, where every spiral kicked successfully from outside the 50m arc gives the scoring team a free kick at the centre bounce rather than a ball up. Or a couple of times a game, each team could elect to kick a torp from outside 50 with 12 points being awarded for a goal. Or even make it compulsory for one full-back kick-in per quarter to be a torp.

dont mind Darcy but this really is not good

Perhaps it is worth trialling a torpedo rule, where every spiral kicked successfully from outside the 50m arc gives the scoring team a free kick at the centre bounce rather than a ball up. Or a couple of times a game, each team could elect to kick a torp from outside 50 with 12 points being awarded for a goal. Or even make it compulsory for one full-back kick-in per quarter to be a torp.

I'm not sure what's more frightening, the fact he thought a "torpedo rule" is a good idea in the first place or the fact that his three suggestions would be something I'd expect from a bored 7-year-old at lunchtime.

Hopefully they torpedo him from the rules committee asap.

Darcy- handy footballer. Not so handy thinker.

That's a ludicrous idea. You shouldnt mess with the basics of the game - marks, methods of disposals (kick, handball), and scoring.

Radical changes means its a new game. He can start his own comp, with his own rules and call it Darcyball.

Changing football for the sake of change is crazy. Players can still do dropkicks and torpedos if they want. Leave it how it is.

What. The. Hell? He's mental.

"The recent hands in the back rule encouraged teams to kick long to a contest more often" is an interesting jump in logic.

It's time to get some fresh blood on the rules commitee and a new umpires boss.

When a coach has a couple of poor years they are replaced and the last couple of years from a umpiring and rules perspective have been very poor to say the least.

The problem with Bartlett and Darcy and geischan is that they actually think that they are doing a good job.

This latest offering from Darcy should see him get the arse just for suggesting something so stupid.

Leave the game alone because slowly but surely they are going to ruin in and turn it into a sideshow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

let's not forget the hitting the post rule that took his fancy. i mean, it looks like part of their job is 'come up with ideas that keep the game fresh'. they've taken a pre-emptive, creative approach to rules, as well as 'fix' things.

NAB cup, last to touch the ball before the boundary line? that's the kind of thing that should have him out of a job already.

NAB cup, last to touch the ball before the boundary line? that's the kind of thing that should have him out of a job already.

I'm all for bagging the stupidity of his comments but the reasons for the above would be because they had shortened halves with NO time on. As such, they would have wanted as much "play" as possible. Getting bogged down with throw ins would have left little game time.

Quite like him as a commentator and media personality but I was amazed when I read that article.

Imagine trying to judge a torpedo. Does it have to be rated an 8/10 or higher for spin to count? :p

Darcy is at it again on one week at a time. Calling for less umpires in total to do 2 games each a weekend. Also calling for an overhaul of the system despite appearing to have absolutely no clue how it works.

Players can still do dropkicks and torpedos if they want. Leave it how it is.
You can't do a dropkick in the modern game as a hand by an opponent near you and you would get done for dropping the ball ...
or then again would you? I am confused if it would currently be given or not.
It's time to get some fresh blood on the rules commitee and a new umpires boss.
I would rather a tourniquet to inhibit any blood flow rather than fresh blood - the AFL can consider fresh blood in 4-5 years time to tamper with the way the game is heading before reapplying the tourniquet.

brian_taylor.jpg

Wowee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Darcy - Laws of the Game Committee

Remove this Banner Ad

Back