Luke Power?

Remove this Banner Ad

CrAckDoGGer said:
how bout the dogs help u in keeping Luke? If use get sam power u will hav luk for the rest hav his career.

Maybe look at something like Sam Power to Brisbane, Daniel Merrett and Western Bulldogs Pick 11 to Carlton and Brendan Fevola to the Bulldogs

Originally posted by a carlton supporter but if this is wat it takes to keep luke woul use go for it?

Naah, how bout use keep Sam Power and we keep Lukey and Daniel Merret hah. Wat u think. Good deal. OK than, done deal.

Now the same paper that said he'd signed up last week is saying that re-signing negotiations have stalled!

Why bother buying the Sun when you can get the TRUTH on BigFooty any time?

Lions struggle to resolve Power issues
17 September 2005 Herald Sun
Mike Sheahan

SEVEN weeks after the Brisbane Lions seemed to have secured vice-captain Luke Power for the long term, there are "issues".

Future doubt: "I want to stay in Brisbane," Luke Power said on July 26.

Power, 25, still hasn't formally accepted Brisbane's offer of a generous five-year contract, with speculation about his future mounting by the day.

His management has confirmed urgent talks with the Lions next Thursday.

Manager Ron Joseph said last night: "There's been a number of issues that go back a couple of months that are still up in the air.

"There's some other issues that have now arisen that we've got to sit down and address with Brisbane in the next week."

He would not discuss the fresh issues.

"I'm not prepared to talk about them until Luke and I have had the opportunity to talk with Brisbane."

Asked if there was a real prospect of Power leaving the Lions, he said: "I'm not going to get into that area."

Reminded of Power's declaration in July he would be staying in Brisbane, Joseph said: "Some matters have arisen as the season has wound down."

The three-time premiership player told a media conference on July 26 he had verbally agreed to a new contract. "I want to stay in Brisbane; I see my future here," he said at the time.

His future has been an issue since the Herald Sun revealed in May Collingwood was interested in him.

While the latest development will send shock waves through the Gabba, at least two Melbourne clubs – Collingwood and Essendon – are known to have shown renewed interest in Power since learning of the long delay in finalising the new contract.

Collingwood first signalled its interest after failing in a bid of massive proportions for Brisbane's Jonathan Brown.

Carlton, which has first call this year on uncontracted players, also will be watching with keen interest. The Blues made him a massive offer three years ago, but he said "no".

Then there's the Western Bulldogs, where Power's younger brother, Sam, plays.

Power is known to have been disappointed with the response of coach Leigh Matthews and Brown during his original reluctance to recommit.

Matthews said publicly in May: "If we leave, it's like bailing out when things get tough. You can't do that.

"What does that say about your character? I'd be very, very surprised if Luke, or any of our players who have been part of the last four to five years, leave because they're not that kind of people."

Power, who grew up in Melbourne, has played 154 games with the Lions in eight seasons.

He was All-Australian in 2004 and has been runner-up twice in best-and-fairests.

He was Brisbane's leading possession winner this year with 445 from 20 games.

Power, who is in Melbourne on holiday, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Power?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back