Deepthroat

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2002
Keilor East
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast
Just had a bit of a look through the WAFL website and it seems these boys were the pick of the bunch last week.

Did anyone watch their games?

MacDougall especially seems to have been the pick with 26 or so possessions. Could he be a chance for a call-up soon for game one?

Originally posted by Deepthroat
Just had a bit of a look through the WAFL website and it seems these boys were the pick of the bunch last week.

Did anyone watch their games?

MacDougall especially seems to have been the pick with 26 or so possessions. Could he be a chance for a call-up soon for game one?

Heard McDougall's game on the radio. Dominated until a few minutes into the 3rd qrt when he did his hammy. Didn't play from then on which makes his stats even that bit more impressive. Munro wasn't that great whilst I don't know about Prior. Still, he has to be a better option than Banfield down back.

Is it a Gardiner style hammy where he probably won't get back into form for a good 3 months?

What position was he playing as I also noted NO GOALS next to his name. Was it CHB?

He played a bit like Gardy, going around the ground heaps and kicking into attack but not scoring goals. McDougall has hamstring problems, he keeps pulling them, obviously still growing. They reckon this one was just a twinge but he'll be out for 1-2 weeks I reckon.

Prior really should get a call up this week against his old team. He is in good form, would add some run out of the backline, and some accurate kicking in, and would relish the chance to "debut" in 2002 against the bombers. I pencilled this one in for him a month ago and will be very surprised if he is not in the starting 22.

Originally posted by daddy_4_eyes
But with Gardiner and Wilson also due back, who gets dropped for Prior?
It won't be Banfield, he played ok on the weekend. Prior may take over that role however, with Banfield pushing up into midfield and Kerr or Judd going forward and Merenda missing out.

I guess Braun's probably in a bit of trouble too!!!

Originally posted by chrisjudd3
Drop:

Banfield, Green and Sampi(Snappy)
No way i'd drop Green. He's been the form player in the WAFL for the last few weeks and a great game at Kardinya Park/ Shell/ Baytech/ Skilled (or whatever they call it these days) on the weekend.

Green deserves his spot.. he was one of the BOG against Geelong- had a job to do, and did it. Worsfold can't ask much more than that, i'd think.

If Wilson and Gardiner come back, the dilemma is whether to drop similar sized players so as to keep the balance intact, or just change the structure of the team a little-
Hate to knock Choco, but i think Merenda might lose his spot, after some indifferent form. Embley would also have some worries, ditto Braun, and Sampi might solve the problem by being unavailable through injury.

In the next 2-3 games, if Prior/Macdougal are ever going to get a game, they'll probably do so at the expense of Banners or Glass.

Where the heck will Siera fit in?!

In my opinion Braun didn't get a chance to prove himself against Geelong and should be given another go.

Embley and Merenda should be dropped for Wilson and Gardiner, though I reckon it could be Merenda and Sampi. Even Lynch may get the gong as it may be too much for our forward line to have the two big fellas in there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it's going to be wet on Sunday (which I think it is) then they may leave Wilson out another week or drop Lynch if they bring Wilson and Gardner back. Wilson seems to have a lot of trouble with slipping and falling over in the wet weather conditions which is understandable given his mass and speed.

Yeah I did watch the Geelong, Green was good but someone has to give way for a big name, I can't think of any other player but him , Banfield and Sampi.

Merenda has been lacking in form but I would persevere with him for one more game then dump him for Green.

I would like to see mcDougall debut this season but it seems unlikely.

Originally posted by daddy_4_eyes
But with Gardiner and Wilson also due back, who gets dropped for Prior?

Bit of info/confirmation

My son saw John Annear today who confirmed that Gardy anf Willo were starters for Sunday.

IMO, those two are certainties and Prior plus Siera(unless wet) would be good choices.

My outs would be :-

Sampi.......form didn't warrant him playing last week
Judd...........needs a rest
Braun.......runs hard but isn't doing the effective stuff
Merenda..........too patchy
Lynch........With BB at FF and Sierra at CHF then I can't see where to play him.

With Dustin Fletcher out we may have an advantage in going tall with our forwards structure.

BTW I had a strange invitation from SGIO about the game.....it went to all members but I dont understand it..anybody know?

One thing Woosha has been able to do for most of the year is reward those players who do well when given their chance in the AFL side and reward those who have established good form in the WAFL.

Therefore I'd be surprised to see Green not selected when he did really well (close to best on ground on the Eagles side) at Geelong last week and has patiently waited his turn with good form with East Fremantle every week prior to that.

Having said that, he would have been close to the end of the list at the start of the year and would be in danger of delisting at the end of this, so it's now or never for him. I hope he's given the opportunity to prove it one way or the other.

Pity we can only play 22. I suspect that injuries and fitness (Wilson, Gardiner, Sampi and others) will play a big part this coming weekend. Somehow can't see Wilson and Lynch up forward together, so it's one or other. My tip - if fit - Wilson.

Prior might get a call-up, though he hasn't exactly set the WAFL on fire. Merenda must be close to losing his place again - he's such an in-and-out player and seems particularly susceptible to disappearing during the hard games away. He's also got this long-term injury problem, which makes him doubtful. Anyone remember Richard Taylor? 3 big decisions to be made come the end of the year (?I think all 3 are out of contract?).

Originally posted by Frodo

BTW I had a strange invitation from SGIO about the game.....it went to all members but I dont understand it..anybody know?

I got it and just dismissed it as more wasted money on advertising. Think the gist of it was that SGIO have sponsored West Coast since their inception or something along those lines...

With the weather forcast for this weekend; i think the crowd might be a tad dissapointing

If its as windy as it is while im typing this, its touch and go if i get to the game

I'll be there, rain, hail or shine.

Merenda's gone at this stage and looking at the way the team has been named I'd expect Sampi, Lynch and williams to miss from the 7 man interchange (assuming no injuries of course).

I hope Seira plays, I think he's great for the side as both a player, and an on-field leader.

Remove this Banner Ad

MacDougall, Prior & Munro

Remove this Banner Ad

Back