Gaming Madden NFL 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I know the answer to this, but if my franchise just autosaves under the one same file the whole time, there's no way to go back in time is there?

I'm devastated, I'd so been looking forward to my first draft... then somehow I screwed up making my first round pick and I didn't even get to make it, it simulated :(
You must have simmed the first round?

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

You must have simmed the first round?

I don't know what happened. I don't know if I hit "sim the next round" instead of sim to my next pick. I thought'd I'd paused the draft, but I guess there's also a chance it just timed out as well.

Was maybe thinking 6pm Perth time if that’s alright by you?
so 9pm Vic time, should be ok. I'll let you know how im travelling

18-12 in OT

lag probably cost us both a field goal or two each

Thought WAbulldog would rush alot and spent my time stopping that. Caught me out a couple of times throwing but a couple of late picks killed him

Having said that I lost CMC injured in his first play and threw 3 picks that were costly

But in OT 49ers ran the ball down the field and then with play action caught Seaeagles off guard for a game winning td

18-12 in OT

lag probably cost us both a field goal or two each

Thought WAbulldog would rush alot and spent my time stopping that. Could me out a couple of times throwing but a couple of late picks killed him

Having said that I lost CMC injured in his first play and threw 3 picks that were costly

But in OT 49ers ran the ball down the field and then with play action caught Seaeagles off guard for a game winning td

Yeah went a bit too cute at the end that pretty much cost me. Thanks for the game 00Stinger and I look forward to our next meeting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm trying to get into Madden properly for the first time, I did play a few years ago on Madden 20 and just pulled out my copy of Madden 22 and going through Ultimate Team challenges to get the hang of the controls.

I just can't get the hang of defense, is there a trick to it? I just end up button mashing basically using the right stick and mashing X to tackle. When the balls in the air pressing ∆ to intercept/disrupt the play (playing on PS5).

Any hints/suggestions? I'm not playing badly but wondering if there's more skill to playing on defense than just button mashing. Or does it largely come down to the playcalling (blitz/zone/man?)

I'm trying to get into Madden properly for the first time, I did play a few years ago on Madden 20 and just pulled out my copy of Madden 22 and going through Ultimate Team challenges to get the hang of the controls.

I just can't get the hang of defense, is there a trick to it? I just end up button mashing basically using the right stick and mashing X to tackle. When the balls in the air pressing ∆ to intercept/disrupt the play (playing on PS5).

Any hints/suggestions? I'm not playing badly but wondering if there's more skill to playing on defense than just button mashing. Or does it largely come down to the playcalling (blitz/zone/man?)

Play as a DE or DT instead of a linebacker if you are having troubles

I don't know how other people do it, and I don't know if it's the most effective way to operate defence - but I love just taking control of my defensive tackle (making sure it's a good one like Jalen Carter) and trying to pancake guards and hit stick QBs. It's extraordinarily satisfying when you get home and either force a strip or injure a QB. (It's not real life, you're allowed to enjoy injuries.)

I do think it largely comes down to understanding defences and playcalling.

Comes down to understanding situations (ie down and distance and where on the field you are), and then you need to make calls accordingly off that.

Playing the computer is completely different to playing another user. Against the computer you can pretty much play a variety of zone defences (cover 2, cover 3, cover 4 and cover 6) and you should be able to get by ok. I find that the computer is pretty effective at beating man coverage if you don't get to the QB extremely quickly, and I'd suggest that blitzing isn't always effective vs the computer unless it's on obvious run downs.

Against a user, I consider myself a chameleon in that I'll play a style of D that ultimately depends on what I'm reading in terms of the feel of the game. Are there any trends I pick up on in certain situations? Is the QB a scrambler? (this can take certain coverages out of the equation) How are the routes being distributed (ie are they focused on the middle of the field or the sideline) and then I'm asking the question of how many defenders I want rushing the QB. Do I want 3, 4, 5 or even more than 5 coming downhill? And from that there are creative ways in which you can rush 3 or 4 guys whilst still getting favourable 1 on 1 matchups to get after the QB. Then you have to also look at the alignment of your defensive line to attack certain gaps (be it the A, B, C or D gap) And I haven't even discussed how the run game can affect coverages on the back end.

Bottom line is that there are so many variables to playing defence in Madden - and whilst there is a degree of button mashing and what not, you're only controlling essentially one player at a time and hence the play calling is the biggest factor imo to success on D.

It also depends on the personnel you have. For instance, if you play press man on the outside and have a corner with a high 80s speed rating up against a burner like Tyreek Hill with no safety help over the top, you're going to be in trouble if your corner doesn't jam Hill at the LOS.

The only way to get better in this instance is practice.

For context, I've played every version of Madden since Madden 2004, so I have done a fair bit of thinking in this space!

Thanks for the responses guys, appreciate it. I guys it just comes down to practice, the more you play the better you get. I already have a bit of a feel for the defensive play types playing the computer, I don't have online games so no issue playing anyone else for the time being but if I get better may decide to jump on. Even though I've been watching the NFL for 15 years now I still get bamboozled by a lot of the scheme terminology but I guess the more I play Madden the more I'll understand it. I'll do a bit of reading on some the play terminology as well, so I can understand it better and it becomes more intuitive.

Thanks for the responses guys, appreciate it. I guys it just comes down to practice, the more you play the better you get. I already have a bit of a feel for the defensive play types playing the computer, I don't have online games so no issue playing anyone else for the time being but if I get better may decide to jump on. Even though I've been watching the NFL for 15 years now I still get bamboozled by a lot of the scheme terminology but I guess the more I play Madden the more I'll understand it. I'll do a bit of reading on some the play terminology as well, so I can understand it better and it becomes more intuitive.

Plenty of great books to read. Gridiron Genius by Michael Lombardi. Any of the "Smart Football" series. Take your Eye off the Ball is a good one too.

Plenty of great books to read. Gridiron Genius by Michael Lombardi. Any of the "Smart Football" series. Take your Eye off the Ball is a good one too.
I've read Gridiron Genius, was good but from memory more about the team management stuff rather than playbook?

I also have Take Your Eye Off The Ball started a couple of years back and it's on my bedside table currently, will give it a read.

Will check out the Smart Football series, cheers 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Gaming Madden NFL 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back