News Major software outage hits worldwide services

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
There has been a global software outage which is affecting services ranging from Foxtel through to airports, banks etc. SEVEN News is reporting that this does not look like a cyber attack but is a platform fault with a US company Crowdstrike. The Government is investigating.

The irony is that CrowdStrike Falcon is cybersecurity software designed to protect it's subscribers from cyber attacks etc. Apparently this software has to be able to detect foreign interference and needs a large number of permissions in order to protect the system. If something goes wrong it can be really deep seated.

I can use the internet, MS Office 365 and have not experienced any BSOD issues. This probably because I do not subscribe to CrowdStrike Falcon but unfortunately FOXTEL do.

Last edited:

Crows supporters may not be able to view the Crows game on FOXTEL tonight. They may not be able to fly into Melbourne to watch the game either. LOL as the company at the centre of it all is CrowdStrike which is located in Texas USA.

I assume that some streaming services will also be affected and FTA may be the only option.

Just heard the tech expert on TEN explain that Crowdstrike pushed out an update that caused computers around the world to shut down.

Breaking News: Crowdstrike have identified the issue and published a four step work around. All companies with Crowdstrike installed will have to carry out these four steps to get back on line.

Last edited:
Elon Musk is calling this the most significant cyber outage of all time. The problem is in an update that interfaces with MS Windows. Apparently systems with Apple and Linux operating systems had no problems.

Of course Australia suffered more than some parts of the globe because the outage occurred at around 3.00 pm EST. In other parts of the world the outage was at 1.00 a.m. so the effect was reduced.

Sometimes updates are more trouble than they are worth but there is no point in installing a programme like CrowdStrike Falcon unless it is constantly updated to prevent hacks. One wonders how long it will be before a Windows 11 update has an issue. In which case the effect will be even more catastrophic.

I suspect that lawyers around the globe will get even richer out of this.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

News Major software outage hits worldwide services

Remove this Banner Ad

Back