Mal Lynch

Remove this Banner Ad

Despite growing up on tiny Bathurst Island, among the Tiwi Islands just north of Darwin, Lynch seems undaunted by the prospect of `making it' as an AFL footballer in the big smoke.
He has, after all, already achieved so much in his short life. And moving to Melbourne pales in significance to the move he made six years earlier.
With a dream of following in the footsteps of fellow Tiwi Islanders, Richmond great Maurice Rioli and then his nephew, Essendon's Dean Rioli, Lynch was prepared to do whatever it took to become an elite footballer.
``I was one of those kids kicking a footy around in bare feet,'' Lynch recalled to the Leader last week.
``When I was about 12 I made the Northern Territory schoolboys team. But, after that there wasn't really any direction, in terms of school or footy.''
So, Lynch, at just 12 years old, decided to pack up and move from his home on Bathurst Island to Sydney, more than 3000km away.
He was given a scholarship to Jesuit college, St Ignatius, one of the few schools in Sydney that offers football on its sports curriculum.
``It was very tough the first couple of months at boarding school, missing family,'' he said.
``Then I came to a point when I thought for what I want to do I've got to sacrifice certain things.
``I was really looking long-term, so I just kept at it.
``All the family wanted me to do it.''

Not the way I heard it, starting with his unwillingness to train when he went home to Darwin last Christmas, then claiming he couldn't go outside because the local kids would mob him if he stepped outside.

what a load of crap
firstly i wouldn't want to train if i had an injured hamstring or are you saying that is made up to
and i can gurantee that his attitude is fine and he wants to be at the club and anyone saying otherwise is kidding themself

what a load of crap
firstly i wouldn't want to train if i had an injured hamstring or are you saying that is made up to
and i can gurantee that his attitude is fine and he wants to be at the club and anyone saying otherwise is kidding themself

You can't even spell it so how can you guarantee it?

Malcolm Lynch Ongoing hamstring 3 weeks

his had the problem all year and all of his attitude problem talk is a load of crap. They have even placed it on the website.

Sorry Blowesy, The Coon Dog is right on this one.

Lynch did his hamstring by doing too much work on too little preperation.

When Eade found out Lynch had been lying to the fitness staff he was furious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mal Lynch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back