Injury Marcus Drum - ankle surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

Bloody hell.

Some guys never get luck do they.
And why didn't they operate post season?

Probably a good thing the problems surfaced now rather than closer to the season.

He must be getting pre-season tips from Ottens.

Been dreading another one of these stories about Drum. Surely the story of Otto's latest mishap is just around the corner as well.:(

Gah this sucks, I was so so sad when I read this, Marcus is such a nice guy who's had no luck, and I reckon he would have made the round 1 side if he'd played NAB, really got some talent.

Hopefully some of us can see him around and try and cheer him up a bit.

I can't help but feel our medical staff have missed a trick on this one, he probably should have been sent for surgery in December so it wouldn't have set his year back as much, now he'll only be back at the end of march.

Not good for the club either (whether you rate him as a player or not) since we're numerically thin on tall defenders so it isn't good to lose one, although I suppose it's better to lose one now rather than well into the season.

All the best to you Marcus, don't give up. :thumbsu:

Gah this sucks, I was so so sad when I read this, Marcus is such a nice guy who's had no luck, and I reckon he would have made the round 1 side if he'd played NAB, really got some talent.

Hopefully some of us can see him around and try and cheer him up a bit.

I can't help but feel our medical staff have missed a trick on this one, he probably should have been sent for surgery in December so it wouldn't have set his year back as much, now he'll only be back at the end of march.

Not good for the club either (whether you rate him as a player or not) since we're numerically thin on tall defenders so it isn't good to lose one, although I suppose it's better to lose one now rather than well into the season.

All the best to you Marcus, don't give up. :thumbsu:

Really tuff for the kid,will be really hard for him to break in the side from here, A Geelong 8 weeks could mean absolutely anything, and if Big Fossa's wright he comes out of contract at the end of the year,which puts pressure on the kid to try and get back early and impress,witch can be it's own disaster.

On the bolded PO I think if they had been seriously considering Drum as key player in our defense this year he'd have gone under the knife much earlier.But being on the fringes they probably made the call they did.

Really tuff for the kid,will be really hard for him to break in the side from here, A Geelong 8 weeks could mean absolutely anything, and if Big Fossa's wright he comes out of contract at the end of the year,which puts pressure on the kid to try and get back early and impress,witch can be it's own disaster.

On the bolded PO I think if they had been seriously considering Drum as key player in our defense this year he'd have gone under the knife much earlier.But being on the fringes they probably made the call they did.

Hopefully they won't rush him back...even though he's out of contract I fully expect him to be here next year, at least it's early in the season and he'll be able to play plenty of footy. Re breaking in the side I don't think it will make it really tough, unless someone else on the fringe (i.e. Gillies) pushes in plays some great games and get well ahead of him, I do expect that the chances for the fringe players will come as the season rolls on and Scott is prepared to make more changes as he gets to know the players capabilities more.

As re the other point, whether he's considered a key player or not shouldn't be a determining factor in a medical decision, and I'm sure we are more professional than that (i.e. we treat everyone the same). I think on the surface of it it was just that we gambled that we could get away without surgery so as to keep him training and give him a real crack early, and the gamble backfired. Hopefully we take our time with him from here.

Let's just hope Otto doesn't see him looking sad and decide to take him on a nice boat ride to cheer him up...then it really will be the end for Marcus :D

Hopefully they won't rush him back...even though he's out of contract I fully expect him to be here next year, at least it's early in the season and he'll be able to play plenty of footy. Re breaking in the side I don't think it will make it really tough, unless someone else on the fringe (i.e. Gillies) pushes in plays some great games and get well ahead of him, I do expect that the chances for the fringe players will come as the season rolls on and Scott is prepared to make more changes as he gets to know the players capabilities more.

As re the other point, whether he's considered a key player or not shouldn't be a determining factor in a medical decision, and I'm sure we are more professional than that (i.e. we treat everyone the same). I think on the surface of it it was just that we gambled that we could get away without surgery so as to keep him training and give him a real crack early, and the gamble backfired. Hopefully we take our time with him from here.

Let's just hope Otto doesn't see him looking sad and decide to take him on a nice boat ride to cheer him up...then it really will be the end for Marcus :D

I was more concerned about him pushing himself to get back early PO, if the contract thing is in the back of his mind.

Just think if it was say Harry Taylor we'd have read in November Harries gone in for a clean out on the ankle and the gamble wouldn't have been taken is that to cynical.Who knowes what you say makes perfect sense.

I was more concerned about him pushing himself to get back early PO, if the contract thing is in the back of his mind.

Just think if it was say Harry Taylor we'd have read in November Harries gone in for a clean out on the ankle and the gamble wouldn't have been taken is that to cynical.Who knowes what you say makes perfect sense.

Yeah. I see what you mean but it'd be based on individual circumstance just as doctors manage their patients based on individual circumstance, not relative importance to team.

For example, in the Harry scenario they'd say he's had a massive workload, he has wear and tear, let's operate now, because he needs the break anyway and it will actually be good for him. Whereas in Drum's case they've got a kid who's missed so much footy, who they know has been getting down a bit with all the ops and rehab, and needs continuity of work to give him a real chance, so they decide it is better to manage him through training. You can see the rationale, unfortunately in this case it kinda backfired.

Certainly Drum may try to push himself back early, but I'm sure the medical staff will tell him not to do that, and Balme will re-assure him as he did halfway through last year, so he'll resist the tempation to rush. The reality is we need competition for spots to get everyone to improve, and if we go towards finals we need guys like Drum to be pushing then, so him coming back too early does neither him nor us any favours.

If he cant crack the side this year after this set back could we resign him as a rookie next year perhaps? still keeps the guy on the books and a chance to play given his body holds up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he cant crack the side this year after this set back could we resign him as a rookie next year perhaps? still keeps the guy on the books and a chance to play given his body holds up.

We could, but he'll crack the side in the second half of the year IMO so it won't come to that.

In any case, I think you'll find the combo of a number of retirements + compromised draft means the club won't be desperate to be delisting (and re rookieing) people just to free up list spots, so if guys like Drum put in hard at training and play well in the VFL, they'll be retained for 2012.

He was picked up pre scott.
I wouldn't hold my breath

I don't think that means anything either positive or negative for Drum.

Scott, if he's a good coach, which I reckon he'll be, will be objective, and he'll be a merits coach.

Anyway, let's not be writing people's obituaries yet, it's a long season marathon and there's a long way to go...hopefully the kid gets out of the medical room.

Without giving him the kiss of death outright, I have this gnawing feeling that Drum is going to be our own little Jesse W. Smith, and that he'll just train from injury to injury and never actually get a go. Hope this doesn't pan out of course, but the possibility is there.

Without giving him the kiss of death outright, I have this gnawing feeling that Drum is going to be our own little Jesse W. Smith, and that he'll just train from injury to injury and never actually get a go. Hope this doesn't pan out of course, but the possibility is there.

I know what you mean, given the amount of time he spent injured in 4 years at Freo, and now his time here.

That said, let's keep perspective and not be panicking with our comparisons. Smith had a horrible ankle injury on which he could barely walk without pain, let alone ever train, and always looked likely to be career ending.

Drum's ankle on the other hand isn't chronic, because it's a new injury completely unrelated to previous ones, and it can't be that bad, after all he's been able to train on it for a fair while. If he had anything serious or degenerative it'd have been operated on ages ago. My guess is he's had bad tendonitis, or cartilage issues, or something similar in severity, and they've tried to treat it with injections, but have now had to resort to surgery.

It ain't good for him as I said it sets his year back some way, but purely objectively the kid just seems to have awful luck...I don't see anything in the injuries that says to me "career ending". Now, whether he's got the mental resilience to overcome all this time spent not playing footy at a new club where he feels the need to prove himself is another thing, if he doesn't have that, then maybe it will be.

But I wouldn't be panicking yet is all I'm saying.

We could, but he'll crack the side in the second half of the year IMO so it won't come to that.

In any case, I think you'll find the combo of a number of retirements + compromised draft means the club won't be desperate to be delisting (and re rookieing) people just to free up list spots, so if guys like Drum put in hard at training and play well in the VFL, they'll be retained for 2012.

Not to be harsh PO, but based on exactly what evidence do you think he would be a candidate for senior selection?

Has played 22 games for the shockers (many of which were at the tail end of a dissapointing freo career designed to improve his trade value) and played 3 rather non-descript VFL games last year.

I hope he can prove me wrong, but the jury is still most definitely out on Drum. Hopefully the injury heals well and he comes back to play the best footy of his life though!

This is just a total Barry Crocker.

The upside is that it is a new injury.. not a reoccurrence of a previous injury.

That said, perhaps it wasnt the medicos that let it go but Drum himself who was trying to PT the PB ( push the thru the pain barrier) so to speak but it didn't get better.

I hope he gets the time and support from the club to get it right and that Scott sees the attitude difference from the Freo days.

It would be a shame if he never got a shot....

Here's hoping he can get fit and get some time under his belt..

Go Catters!

The upside is that it is a new injury.. not a reoccurrence of a previous injury.
Is it? He was out for a substantial period last year with an achilles injury, which would have affected the strength around his ankle. So easily conceivable that this latest set back is an indirect result of that.

Bottom line is that with numerous issues - ankle, retina and a dicky ticker just over the last twelve months, you have to question whether he is solid enough to withstand the rigours of playing footy.

I don't think that means anything either positive or negative for Drum.

Scott, if he's a good coach, which I reckon he'll be, will be objective, and he'll be a merits coach.

Anyway, let's not be writing people's obituaries yet, it's a long season marathon and there's a long way to go...hopefully the kid gets out of the medical room.

Given that Scott had 2 years with Drum at Freo, he probably has a better informed opinion on Drum than anyone at Geelong.

In all likelihood, Scott had made up his mind about whether or not Drum is a keeper before he set foot in KP.

Given that Scott had 2 years with Drum at Freo, he probably has a better informed opinion on Drum than anyone at Geelong.

In all likelihood, Scott had made up his mind about whether or not Drum is a keeper before he set foot in KP.

Agree, and I also agree with PO that Scott will be objective.
But if come the end of the season Drum hasn't cracked into the senior side I reckon he will go.

There might be a discussion such as "we haven't seen what he can do yet, he hasn't had the chance. Lets give him another year" To which Scott may say "I've seen enough previously"

I really want him to get a game. But there is no doubting his back is to the wall now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Marcus Drum - ankle surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

Back