Injury Marcus Drum - ankle surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

It passes the time PO till something actually happens, how many days to go now?

1st NAB game Feb 20 so only 23 days away!

1st real game 25th March so almost 8 weeks away.

I seam to have something in the back of my mind about loosing Scarlo and Harry against the Hawks a couple of years back he was asked to play tall that day, how did that go.
He did superbly that day, remember it well. No way did we look like we were going to get up at 1`/2 time.

Tall is not determined solely by height, it's determined by whether the player plays tall or not. As I said, Mackie could on height terms play tall sometimes, but he doesn't play that way, and probably never will.

Drum on the other hand does play 'tall' roles so it's not a stretch to call him that even at 191. Keep in mind Gillies and Scarlett are only 192. It's not solely about height, it's about whether you play tall or not.

I think the key word is weight. Mackie does absolutely have the height to play a key position, but he isn't big enough. Scarlett is, Taylor is, Lonergan is (which is why I don't want all three in one side). But Mackie isn't. He can do a job occasionally, and did memorably against Franklin a couple of years ago. But you can't expect him to handle stronger key forwards, he just doesn't possess the size.

Yeah I think it is. Mackie is a running type player with height as an advantage. If he put on weight it would slow him down inmensely. Franklins playing weight in 2008 was somewhat lighter than his current 102kg and he hasn't been the same since (with a few exceptions). As great as J Brown is he has the turning circle of a truck. It's good to have strength but you need to be conditioned to be agile/fast enough to keep up with the best. If you're good in the air and can jump or you're creative with how you stop opponents (ie Scarlo) you can bridge that 4-5cm gap pretty easily but I wouldn't think Mackie would be that option. Wouldn't mind seeing him on the wing/hff.

Yeah I think it is. Mackie is a running type player with height as an advantage. If he put on weight it would slow him down inmensely. Franklins playing weight in 2008 was somewhat lighter than his current 102kg and he hasn't been the same since (with a few exceptions). As great as J Brown is he has the turning circle of a truck. It's good to have strength but you need to be conditioned to be agile/fast enough to keep up with the best. If you're good in the air and can jump or you're creative with how you stop opponents (ie Scarlo) you can bridge that 4-5cm gap pretty easily but I wouldn't think Mackie would be that option. Wouldn't mind seeing him on the wing/hff.
Agree about the wing / half forward flank option.
Has shown ability to kick a long goal in the past and can generate good pace and use it well. Worth a look !!

Dunno about your assessment of Brown, I've seen him run Taylor into the ground a couple of times now, for a truck he sure covers some territory during a game.

Has shown ability to kick a long goal in the past and can generate good pace and use it well. Worth a look !!

HBF wing maybe he started as a forward, but I reckon he playes his best footy running straight on to the ball ,(hope you know what I mean.)

I think the key word is weight. Mackie does absolutely have the height to play a key position, but he isn't big enough. Scarlett is, Taylor is, Lonergan is (which is why I don't want all three in one side). But Mackie isn't. He can do a job occasionally, and did memorably against Franklin a couple of years ago. But you can't expect him to handle stronger key forwards, he just doesn't possess the size.

That's what I meant by it being determined by whether a player 'plays tall' or not, I probably just should have phrased it in a more clear way.

Btw, I agree with you about the 2 talls not 3, it's one of the reasons why I want Gillies or Drum to come on and push Lonergan out.

I have been trying to spruik Mackie up as a wing option for awhile. He would be our Matthew Richardson equivalent and could be a potential game changer for us. Has great toe, attacking flair, a suprising amount of courage and has proved to be a decent mark as well.... Using him on the wing would allow us a contested attacking option to launch into a forward assault. I hope it gets tried.

As for Drum - i still urge all people to reserve judgement until we actually see him in some sort of capacity take the field! I have low expectations for him based on the fact that he has missed a lot of football. We can only hope he exceeds this.

I have been trying to spruik Mackie up as a wing option for awhile. He would be our Matthew Richardson equivalent and could be a potential game changer for us. Has great toe, attacking flair, a suprising amount of courage and has proved to be a decent mark as well.... Using him on the wing would allow us a contested attacking option to launch into a forward assault. I hope it gets tried.

As for Drum - i still urge all people to reserve judgement until we actually see him in some sort of capacity take the field! I have low expectations for him based on the fact that he has missed a lot of football. We can only hope he exceeds this.
One way to break the forward pressure of the Pies would be a 40m + diagonal kick from FB/CHB lines - avoid the swarm by kicking over it.
If this is used players like Mackie/Bartel/ Menzel/ Duncan on the end of these kicks will be gold as they are strong in the air and on the ground.

I agree F2G, we have a distinct advantage over a lot of teams in that we are phenomenally good at 1:1 contests both in the air and on the ground. Kicking across lines to contests - or nominated players such as Bartel/Mackie and perhaps even Menzel or Duncan, could be a very viable tactic. It remains to be seen....but surely spreading the play by going to more contests would beat congested pressure? I will always maintain that we have the best collective group of individual players at the moment....its just we have been out-coached over the last few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree F2G, we have a distinct advantage over a lot of teams in that we are phenomenally good at 1:1 contests both in the air and on the ground. Kicking across lines to contests - or nominated players such as Bartel/Mackie and perhaps even Menzel or Duncan, could be a very viable tactic. It remains to be seen....but surely spreading the play by going to more contests would beat congested pressure? I will always maintain that we have the best collective group of individual players at the moment....its just we have been out-coached over the last few years.
Yes, I'd back us in contests as well but we need to ensure we create the contest well away from where the forward pressure is hottest.
The vision I have is a bit like breaking a zone press in Basketball - if you do that well by passing and running you end up with a 2:1 or a 3:2 and an easy lay up. A lot harder to do in Footy but we saw it happen a couple of times against Pies and Saints - and weren't those goals easy to get on the rebound !!
Can't wait to see what our Coaches come up with.

That's what I meant by it being determined by whether a player 'plays tall' or not, I probably just should have phrased it in a more clear way.

Btw, I agree with you about the 2 talls not 3, it's one of the reasons why I want Gillies or Drum to come on and push Lonergan out.

So yesterday Gillies and Drum were talls and today there not, I think I'm starting to get get the hang of things:confused:

[/b]

So yesterday Gillies and Drum were talls and today there not, I think I'm starting to get get the hang of things:confused:

I said they were FLEXIBLE talls, and Lonergan is not IMO.

Agree PO. That's why I said he should count his lucky stars that Drum is injured and Gillies had a poor 2010. The bloke was there to plug a hole, everything being equal and everyone match-ready. There's not a chance he's in the best 22

Again, i think Lonergan is being unfairly crucified on the back of what was a fairly consistent and strong year from him. Can only expect bigger and better things from him this year, and we will require a pure defensive big bodied player who plays tall. He may not be suitable for every match up, but he does provide us with a good solid option. One thing i know is that at this current moment, he is a long way ahead of both Gillies and Drum at being able to fulfill a senior defensive position.

Anyways, kicking to contests away from congestion is definitely a viable tactic F2G - i would hope that we do at least try similar tactics....maybe releasing a Mackie type deliberately away from any zone structure to try and create a bit more freedom and spread the congestion. I imagine there will be a few different effective tactics this year to combat the pies/saints strategies....the interchange rule will effect things it just remains to be seen as to how?

I may be in the minority here but I can actually see upside in Lonergan this season.
To me the injury and recovery set him back 1-2 seasons.
I think he will benefit enormously from another full pre-season and continue to grow into the Egan type stopper role. I (mostly) rated his disposal in 2010 and this will improve as his confidence grows.

I think you're the majority mate. I'm always the one that attracts derision for daring to say I don't rate him as a defender. Of course, I want him to play well but I won't be happy if other defenders don't get opportunities when they need to. I've said it once before I always start sweating and have anxiety attacks when the oppositions kicks it to a one on one with lonners down there.. I saw the crows game last year and tippet and walker owned him and then I saw the Brisbane game and both fev and brown owned him and against collingwood he was owned by cloke, brown and even daisy Thomas

Agree PO. That's why I said he should count his lucky stars that Drum is injured and Gillies had a poor 2010. The bloke was there to plug a hole, everything being equal and everyone match-ready. There's not a chance he's in the best 22

Probably not, but someone has to push him out, we'll see if they do.

I don't think Lonners is crap (disposal aside) and he's a reasonable stopper, but like I said, I think you'll see him subbed off a lot this year. The fact that he can't play on a medium or a small means that when the opposition subs a tall for a small as they mostly will, we'll need to sub him due to lack of a suitable matchup, and I agree with Partridge that Lonergan playing as a result pushing Scarlett onto a flank is a bad move.

A better structure for our defence would be Scarlett and Taylor, and if Gillies/Drum come on enough that they can play tall for the periods where there's one that needs minding, but can also go medium/small when there isn't. More flexibility for us with matchups, and more ball use and ability to run the ball out.

That said, Lonergan is in front at this stage, and fairly so, but I do think we would benefit if either of the other two bypass him.

I think you're the majority mate. I'm always the one that attracts derision for daring to say I don't rate him as a defender. Of course, I want him to play well but I won't be happy if other defenders don't get opportunities when they need to. I've said it once before I always start sweating and have anxiety attacks when the oppositions kicks it to a one on one with lonners down there.. I saw the crows game last year and tippet and walker owned him and then I saw the Brisbane game and both fev and brown owned him and against collingwood he was owned by cloke, brown and even daisy Thomas

Pardon me for asking but where were Scarlo and Harry while all this was going on?

As said a few posts ago, Scarlo was on a flank or a pocket standing Walker. Admitedly, the ball was coming down there a he'll of a lot against the Crows but my mate sitting next to me (who has been in the AFL system) asked me "how can you be a dual premiership side with such an amazing win/loss ratio and have this bloke as your stopper at full back?" I had no rebuttal..
Same goes with the Brisbane game: we were belting them and the only time they had any chance of scoring was when they got the odd long kick away and whoever Lonergan was supposed to be manning took an easy, almost uncontested mark and slotted a major..
I don't hate Lonners, just think as a key defensive option he's no good. He looked alright at Full Forward a few years ago and I just hope our backline can get settled with Drum and/or Gillies so this bullshit parade can end

As said a few posts ago, Scarlo was on a flank or a pocket standing Walker. Admitedly, the ball was coming down there a he'll of a lot against the Crows but my mate sitting next to me (who has been in the AFL system) asked me "how can you be a dual premiership side with such an amazing win/loss ratio and have this bloke as your stopper at full back?" I had no rebuttal..
Same goes with the Brisbane game: we were belting them and the only time they had any chance of scoring was when they got the odd long kick away and whoever Lonergan was supposed to be manning took an easy, almost uncontested mark and slotted a major..
I don't hate Lonners, just think as a key defensive option he's no good. He looked alright at Full Forward a few years ago and I just hope our backline can get settled with Drum and/or Gillies so this bullshit parade can end

IF there is a better option than Lonergan or any one else down back thats fine by me, but at this time it's not Drum or Gillies IMHO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Marcus Drum - ankle surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

Back