Opinion Mark Blake

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow this thread is still going..

Being the OP it's pretty clear that I haven't been the biggest Blake fan over the years. I've always seen him as too soft and lacking the essential skills. But I must admit that now it actually looks like he is growing some balls. I have been out of the country for the week so I didn't get to see yesterdays game but by the sound of it Blake didn't get intimidated and back down, which is good to hear.

In his previous two weeks he has improved dramatically in my opinion, his tap work in the ruck has been excellent. I still don't think he is up to scratch with his ground work yet but as he grows in confidence he is slowly learning to read the play more and not panic so much, and even kick the ball every now and then!

For the first time I am seeing the slightest bit of light at the end of the tunnel. Let's hope he keeps improving.

For the first time I am seeing the slightest bit of light at the end of the tunnel. Let's hope he keeps improving.

Let's hope so because the first time I lay eyes on him I thought he was a weak unco who was unlikely to reach the standard necessary to play senior football on a regular basis.

what i want to know is why blake has so many fans, yet byrnes gets bagged for less

How does one impact on the other?

Blake does as well as or better than expected given his experience and role. In the eyes of many Byrnes underperforms given his experience and role.

on yesterday's performance i thought king was the better ruck
blake had a good game
and west showd how much work he needs to do.

what i want to know is why blake has so many fans, yet byrnes gets bagged for less

I thought King rucked better. But Blake was good, and is getting better. And the difference between Brynes and Blake for me is that when Blake gets the ball, I don't immediately think he will stuff it up. I actually have confidence that he will get of some sort of decent possession, while with Brynes its more of a "what will he do now to ruin this moment."

How people could not see that Blake is getting better is beyond me. He is gaining more possessions, using the ball alot better, kicking goals, etc etc.

How people could not see that Blake is getting better is beyond me. He is gaining more possessions, using the ball alot better, kicking goals, etc etc.

You've hit it on the head - he's improved even in his games this year. I don't see the same rate of improvement from Byrnes, although I do think he might be better than last year.

28 hitouts blake, 23 hitouts king.
17 possies kind (4 of which were free kicks), 13 blake.

Kinda hard to call either player beaten.

St Kilda had 9 clearences to zip in the first quarter, due to King's ruck work, and easily beat Blake when any heat was in the game.80% of Blake's possesions were cheap little handballs that he wouldn't have gotten if Geelong didn't over posses chipping around the back 50, where as King got his ball in packs, and also blocked, tackled, and helped his midfielders hold the ball in when required. Blake doesn't do 1%ers, and just stands around packs hoping for a cheap possie.

Ironic considering 15 of King's 17 touches were in the defensive 50.

BTW Has Kingy managed his one contested mark for the year yet?

Maybe I didn't emphasize the word 'cheap' enough in what I wrote. You see, King got his own ball, Blake got 'cheap' over-possesion, link-up ball, I guess that is what I was getting at, inside, outside defensive 50 -whatever. Cheap as in pushing King when he isn't looking in the back while celebrating a goal, then pooing your pants and falling over when realising that he would continue on with it, that sort of cheap.

Yeah, King has had a few contested grabs this year from the limited games I have seen the Saints play, been very good on the last line of defense dropping back and taking a few grabs. But more importantly I did see him out-muscle Blake to take one on Saturday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which I guess highlights that he was getting his own ball, good work Kingy, put your body in, and the ump will look after you. Thanks for backing-up my point, didn't think of that angle.

Don't get cheeky, free kicks are a double edged sword of a stat, as you have just exhibited for us.
There were some rubbish 50/50 free kicks paid in the ruck contests on the weekend, which could indicate that King didn't entirely earn those possessions. Umpires flipping a coin and deciding one ruckman was holding the other when both were grappling each other are hardly damning statistics woof.

Don't get cheeky, free kicks are a double edged sword of a stat, as you have just exhibited for us.
There were some rubbish 50/50 free kicks paid in the ruck contests on the weekend, which could indicate that King didn't entirely earn those possessions. Umpires flipping a coin and deciding one ruckman was holding the other when both were grappling each other are hardly damning statistics woof.

Oh, so when stats don't suit your argument, they are a double edged sword?! Somehow I don't think many on here would allow King that kind of luxury if the tables were turned, sorry, it still stands. The free kick were there because Blake 'chicken winged' Kingy's arms in ruck contests on numerous occasions, maybe Geelong shouldn't let him train with Melbourne Storm again if the opportunity arises, he is developing some dirty habbits. Gotta get stronger if you want to move Kingy off the ball Blakey, falling over and dragging on his arms will only result in a free kick, or four if you look at Saturday's game.

Yes, stats are a double edged sword, both for and against the pro-Blake and pro-King lobbyists in this discussion. 4 of kings touches were free kicks - As I stated earlier in the thread.

You can take that as you like. 17 touches to King, 4 of which were free kicks, which MAY or MAY NOT have been there – IIRC there were some line ball ruck free kick decisions paid where many supporters were left scratching their heads.

Overall, I still call it a break even between King and Blake, as per previous discussions with my friend Forrest.

Poor Woofy/Forrest, just cant get over poor old Stevie...guys, the club made a decision based on the future, deal with it and move on.

The experts say that King just shaded Blake in the game - in my view, a 30 yr old experienced ruckman who is fit for the first time in 5 years SHOULD be too strong for a 22 yr old ruckman who has played less than 40 games. The fact that he only just shaded Blake shows that the club made the right move IMO.

Blind Forrest could see that Blake is improving with every game, and given that ruckman dont peak until late 20's traditionally, he has huge upside...King on the other hand, is over 30 and unreliable fitness-wise. Doesnt take EInstein to work out that the decision was the correct one.

Cats are 4-0, winning comfortably, and our ruckman is playing a role in it all. As a proper SUPPORTER, i am going to keep SUPPORTING all of our players as they are all part of our club...:thumbsu:

Poor Woofy/Forrest, just cant get over poor old Stevie...guys, the club made a decision based on the future, deal with it and move on.

The experts say that King just shaded Blake in the game - in my view, a 30 yr old experienced ruckman who is fit for the first time in 5 years SHOULD be too strong for a 22 yr old ruckman who has played less than 40 games. The fact that he only just shaded Blake shows that the club made the right move IMO.

Blind Forrest could see that Blake is improving with every game, and given that ruckman dont peak until late 20's traditionally, he has huge upside...King on the other hand, is over 30 and unreliable fitness-wise. Doesnt take EInstein to work out that the decision was the correct one.

Cats are 4-0, winning comfortably, and our ruckman is playing a role in it all. As a proper SUPPORTER, i am going to keep SUPPORTING all of our players as they are all part of our club...:thumbsu:

But that's the whole point, the club could still have had both of them.

Blake can run around all year doing whatever he likes, and everyone can put as much mayo on his performances as they like, but I bet you every team come finals knows that he is a little sus in big games and will definately have a go at exploiting it, there for, compromises the Geelong team.
Lets face it, Geelong are just filling in time until September, and I have good oil that Ottens is not going to be 100% for quite some time, why wouldn't you keep King on the list as insurance a-la Keating in Brisbane's 3-peat? King has shown he had no problem competing for his spot, why not keep the option?

been very good on the last line of defense dropping back and taking a few grabs.

So he's basically Jeff White without the skills or the athleticism?

BTW Despite playing loose in defence, Steven King has taken a massive 13 marks all year.
So not only has Mark Blake got more hitouts, but he's also taken more marks and kicked more goals.

Ouch.

King is only 28 isn't he?

So he's basically Jeff White without the skills or the athleticism?

BTW Despite playing loose in defence, Steven King has taken a massive 13 marks all year.
So not only has Mark Blake got more hitouts, but he's also taken more marks and kicked more goals.

Ouch.

No, he's proven to be better than Jeff White over his career. Who said King has played loose in defence? I said he has dropped back and had taken contested marks, how is that playing loose? Tell me one ruckman that doesn't drop back to help the defence when the opposition has the ball, unless they are lazy or scared?

Blakes opponents over the last 3 weeks have had 23, 25, and 17 possies, not to mention the hiding Lade and Brogan dished out in the first game, so I think it's Blake who plays loose, and lacks a fair bit of accountabilty.

For what it's worth, and I daresay that's not much, but I would say Steven King is a better player NOW than Blake. I think the Cats did the right thing bringing King in for the Grand Final, too. They had to pick their strongest squad and they did.

I ALSO can understand why they let King go in the off-season.

King is probably one nasty injury off drawing the curtain on his career, Blake is 22 and should improve steadily over the next ~3 years. If the Cats had kept King as a 1st choice ruckman (with Ottens), you'd think Blake would have left.

So let the older player go, keep the younger. I'd think it's as simple as that.

Stats say King had the "edge" on Saturday, but it wasn't drammatic, and nor did it help the Saints get within 7 goals of a vastly superior squad.

Who said King has played loose in defence? I said he has dropped back and had taken contested marks, how is that playing loose?

So if he's dropping back in defence, who is he picking up?

When ruckman drop back they do it to play loose and fill a hole, they don't go down there and pick up a forward.

Or would you have us belief that King is so good that not only does he drop back, but he also is accountable to a man whilst down there?

Blakes opponents over the last 3 weeks have had 23, 25, and 17 possies, not to mention the hiding Lade and Brogan dished out in the first game, so I think it's Blake who plays loose, and lacks a fair bit of accountabilty.

Blake's ruckwork has been excellent this year.

I'm tipping Jeff White and David Hille will get a heap of the footy when they play St. Kilda as well.

If you want to use possessions to judge a ruckman (bizarre as it is), this weekend was the first time King has had more touches than his opponent.

At the end of the day, why do you care so much about Mark Blake? Every single post you've ever made here is about him.

90% of our supporter base is happy with the decision we made, we're flying with Mark as first ruck and since he usurped King at the start of 2007 we've not looked back.

It's time to move on and let go of the bitterness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back