Opinion Mark Blake

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mark Blake - A question:

:rolleyes:

I have never seen Cameron Ling, Shannon Byrnes, Matthew Egan, Tom Harley, Woja, Joel Selwood, James Kelly, Josh Hunt, Andrew Mackie, Tom Hawkins, Darren Milburn or even Brad Ottens 'take a game by the scruff of the neck'. I guess they must all be hacks and we should get rid of them.

Earlier in the thread you said that Blake wasn't as good as some of the kids running around out there. I asked you to elaborate on just who these players were and you haven't. The reason, I would suggest, is because you were talking bollocks. Not every ruckman will be a Cox clone, as Catman has already pointed out, and it's not like we blew a high pick (38) on Blake. More to the point, the only 2nd string ruckman in the competition better in the hitouts than Blake is Peter Everitt.

Joel Selwood-Takes every game he plays by the scruff of the neck
Tom Hawkins-Round 3 vs Melbourne last year(played a vital role when we needed it)
Brad Ottens-The entire Finals Series last year

Leunberger from Brisbane
Macintosh from NM
Kruezer from Carlton
Moran from Adelaide
Seller from Adelaide
Griffen from Adelaide
Wood from Collingwood (based on round 1 this year)

Cmon mate your pulling yourself back hand here

Kruezer hasnt even played a game yet !

Same fools going on about how much Mark Blake was a part of our side last year are the same fools having a whinge about him now.

Make up your mind.

I agree totally with Catman.

Yes, I think he would be. Its not like his father was a household name a la Ablett.

Blake struggled against Ports rucks, but its only R1 and he will improve. It took his father a few years to blossom as our #1 ruck.

Cmon mate your pulling yourself back hand here

Kruezer hasnt even played a game yet !

:thumbsu: BDP - using draft position logic is dangerous at the best of times. Hodge-Ball-Judd anyone?? Would you say Gibbs is better than J. Selwood? I know who I'd rather.

John Meeson was taken very high ( pick 8 in 2004) by Adelaide but only managed 2 games in 3 years (although I think he was injured in 2007) and is now at Melbourne (and didn't play in Rd1). I think I'd rather Blake than Meeson even though Meeson was probably regarded higher as a junior.

It is all very subjective.

Interestingly enough, who else was taken in the 2003 draft with Blake? Kane Tenace at 7. Who do you think has shown more improvement since they have been at Geelong?

IMO, Blake.

Leunberger from Brisbane
Macintosh from NM
Moran from Adelaide
Seller from Adelaide
Griffen from Adelaide

Alright then I changed the list:D (even though Kruezer has probably got better potential-he did play well-ish in the NAB cup)

Leunberger from Brisbane
Macintosh from NM
Moran from Adelaide
Seller from Adelaide
Griffen from Adelaide

Alright then I changed the list:D (even though Kruezer has probably got better potential-he did play well-ish in the NAB cup)

ahahahahahaha !!! you just couldnt help yourself could you...............

Was one of the weaker links in the side on Thursday, then again he is one of the more inexperienced players in the side, playing one of the most demanding positions for a younger guy on the park.

Harry Taylor would be a weak link at FB, Tom Lonergan would be a weak link at FF/CHF.

Now, that said he is coming into his fourth season and needs to show a fair whack of improvement. His ruckwork is fine. His footskills and hardness lack. Trent West looks far better in this department, yet his ruckwork is a fair way off the mark at the present time.

His performance on Thursday justified him being dropped for the Grand Final, because it showed he cannot yet match it against the better ruck duos in the comp.

Was one of the weaker links in the side on Thursday, then again he is one of the more inexperienced players in the side, playing one of the most demanding positions for a younger guy on the park.

Harry Taylor would be a weak link at FB, Tom Lonergan would be a weak link at FF/CHF.

Now, that said he is coming into his fourth season and needs to show a fair whack of improvement. His ruckwork is fine. His footskills and hardness lack. Trent West looks far better in this department, yet his ruckwork is a fair way off the mark at the present time.

His performance on Thursday justified him being dropped for the Grand Final, because it showed he cannot yet match it against the better ruck duos in the comp.

Which raises any interesting question - does Geelong stick with Blake now there is some investment in him or cast him aside and start again?

Is it possible that players will get better the more they are exposed to the best in the competition and learn from the experience?

Some players can't cut it - fair enough, we have all seen them and could probably name 5 or 6 without breaking a sweat. But some players do show they can learn from their experiences and become better for it.

I think Blake is one of those sorts of players. He showed great improvement last year and being exposed to the best will assist with his development.

Yes, if Ottens is out for a lengthy period the Cats could be in trouble but if that happens it happens - it isn't like Geelong can go and grab another ruckman this year.

Sure, in the future West and D Simpson might be a better option but here and now Blake is Geelong's second best ruckman.

Rod :D

Which raises any interesting question - does Geelong stick with Blake now there is some investment in him or cast him aside and start again?

Is it possible that players will get better the more they are exposed to the best in the competition and learn from the experience?

Some players can't cut it - fair enough, we have all seen them and could probably name 5 or 6 without breaking a sweat. But some players do show they can learn from their experiences and become better for it.

I think Blake is one of those sorts of players. He showed great improvement last year and being exposed to the best will assist with his development.

Yes, if Ottens is out for a lengthy period the Cats could be in trouble but if that happens it happens - it isn't like Geelong can go and grab another ruckman this year.

Sure, in the future West and D Simpson might be a better option but here and now Blake is Geelong's second best ruckman.

Rod :D

Rod Blake by any chance ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lets move on, he is playing this sunday, so sunday night i will start again

till then it will be great to see him beaten in the ruck by monfries, or someone with no height

Top supporter you are! :rolleyes:

At least try and say something more than "sooky sooky la la" you immature fool.

arh your serious ? you want to see our players beaten ?
nah, hope the team kills them, but otto will not play so the heat is on again

i think thommo is teaching blake where he is at, and so can push him harder and get whatever he can out of him

immature fool, thanks tough guy
must be hard biting down on that pillow

I hate using personal insults as a tactic, but with you it's hard not to.

Personally I hope that all our players play well, and succeed. I would hope that all genuine Cats fans feel the same way.

I'm with you - I don't get this wanting players to fail so someone can prove a point. It's nasty. The sort of thing I used to laugh at Essendon supporters for.

ok, lets not start the
"my name is blake and i should have played in gf, despite my form.
my name is blake and my dad is rod
my name is blake and i will not play if king stays
my name is blake and i am unco
my name is blake and i can't compete against top ruckmen
my name is blake and i am byrnes look like a champ
my name is blake
and i can't play"

and rod=coz

I hate using personal insults as a tactic, but with you it's hard not to.

Personally I hope that all our players play well, and succeed. I would hope that all genuine Cats fans feel the same way.

ohh, shucks i got under the coz skin
grow up, you are so genuine, you must be a card carrying member of the CCC

ok, lets not start the
"my name is blake and i should have played in gf, despite my form.
my name is blake and my dad is rod
my name is blake and i will not play if king stays
my name is blake and i am unco
my name is blake and i can't compete against top ruckmen
my name is blake and i am byrnes look like a champ
my name is blake
and i can't play"

and rod=coz

You aren't making any sense now.

Joel Selwood-Takes every game he plays by the scruff of the neck

Hardly. The kid does well every week because he's a gun, but he's yet to be the standout in any game.

Tom Hawkins
-Round 3 vs Melbourne last year(played a vital role when we needed it)

We flogged a team and he played a quarter of good footy against a hack backmen. If that constitutes taking a game by the scruff of the neck...

Brad Ottens
-The entire Finals Series last year

Collingwood game at best, where he beat two pseudo-rucks hands down.

Leunberger from Brisbane
Macintosh from NM
Moran from Adelaide
Seller from Adelaide
Griffen from Adelaide

Where to begin with this post? For starters, the clear implication of BigBadCam's post was of youngsters that could be on the Geelong list that a better than Blake. Leunberger went pick 6 in a superdraft, meaning we couldn't have had him on the list, McIntosh went pick 9 (and he's 23, hardly a kid FFS), Moran has the grand average of 4 hitouts a game (6 if we're generous and only look at 2006), and is only 199cm, Sellar is another who has yet to play a game, Griffen was an ex-rookie who Blakes beats in disposals, tackles, marks and flogs in hitouts, and based on an decent statistical sample rather than one game, Blake flogs Wood as well. Out of all those you listed the only one who is better right now is Hamish McIntosh, who is older than Blake and was a first round pick. Again, it comes down to 'These kids will be better in the future.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back