Coaching Staff Mark "Bomber" Thompson - Will present the Jock McHale Medal for 2023 - 4/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah.. the 'poisoned chalice' that is the 12 month EFC coaching gig:

1. Great list that showed Top 4 potential even amid the biggest scandal in sport
  2. Strong defensive game plan that was ranked in the top 2 for 16 rounds of the season
  3. Fast, decisive attacking options that were in the top 3 for 15 rounds of the season
  4. Inspirational leaders in Fletcher and Jobe
  5. Strong leadership group that includes Goddard
  6. A core group of 15 players all with over 100 games experience, most of it together
  7. Outstanding training facilities, support staff and operational budget
  8. Blockbuster draws and 'finals like' games through out the season
  9. Supportive and passionate supporter group renowned for their loyalty
  10. Disciplined list that rarely gets involved in the front or back pages of the news
Oh yeah.. sounds hellish.. I definitely think the Melbourne job looks FAR more attractive:

1. Crap list that may be decimated further, unlikely to rise above bottom 4 next year
  2. Leaky defence that gives up cricket scores every week
  3. Haphazard attack that misfires with regularity
  4. Zero leadership on or off the field
  5. No leadership group that contains anyone over 26
  6. Young list with lack of experience, class or development
  7. Mediocre training facilities, decimated footy department and shoestring 'Jackson Style' operational budget
  8. Crap crowds that rarely exceed 15K including the seagulls
  9. Small, sometimes loyal but mostly fickle supporter group that has largely given up on caring
  10. List that rarely gets involved in the front or back pages of the news cause no one gives a crap...
Gee.. that looks appealing.. I wonder why Roos didn't LEAP at the chance to get involved... :rolleyes:

You forget the moment important things though:

Essendon:

1. Only 12 months in the job with James Hird looming over your shoulder.

Melbourne:

1. Could negotiate a cushy 4 year deal, with every excuse under the sun already to go if you don't perform.

Essendon:

Melbourne:

1. Could negotiate a cushy 4 year deal, with every excuse under the sun already to go if you don't perform.

But Melbourne.

Essendon:

Melbourne:

And no one has mentioned the looming ASADA investigation?? But they're okay, Investigations are "fun"

You people really think Bomber is going to accept a joint gig with Sheeds? ;)
Because that is going to be helpful having Sheeds say god knows what to god knows who each week?

Sheeds will just get a cushy wage to talk to as many people as possible each week, trying to obfuscate by talking about 1984 or Dermott Brereton.

Maybe Sheeds or Goody can take Bomber's job on 360.

Serious - because Hird didn't study to become a sport scientist he is now suspended if he had of he would of known what's going on.

Ok I'll stop - the one thing I always hear about Bomber at Geelong he had awesome assistant coaches. Hinkley the main man the so called "master mind" of Geelong's game plan.

I know we aren't using Geelong's game plan but how much did Bomber actually do is the question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can anyone say that EFC 2014 is better than the Melbourne job? Any coach may only get one opportunity. You would not waste it on a 12 month deal.

ESSENDON coach Mark Thompson has not closed the door on coaching at a third AFL club.

A rejuvenated Thompson told the Herald Sun he would assess his future at the end of his 12-month contract at Essendon.

“If I love it and things are OK and I’m happy ... maybe I do it somewhere else,’’ Thompson said. “I don’t want them to be the headlines to this article, but we don’t know how I’m going to feel at the end of the year.

“I do know I’m not coaching Essendon because James is coming back.’’

What happens if Thompson takes Essendon to a premiership?

“That’s the deal, that’s why I took the job, I know what the landscape is,’’ he said.

“The thing we don’t know is, am I going to be good or not, or whether I really want it in my life?’’

Regarded as a superb game-day coach, Thompson coached Geelong from 2000-10 and won premierships in 2007 and 2009.

He departed the Cats citing mental exhaustion and controversially joined the Bombers months later as Hird’s right-hand man.

As part of the range of punishments for Essendon officials for the supplements debacle, Thompson was fined $30,000 but was allowed to coach the Bombers.

He said his resentment of the AFL had subsided and he had rediscovered his passion for the game and coaching. “I’m happy to be back,’’ he said. “I want to do my best, I don’t just want to go through the motions.
“I want to do well, no matter what sport you play or what you do in life, I want to do the job well, I want to win.’’

Thompson, who recently turned 50, acknowledged he had three career options to consider after 12 months: return to being Hird’s senior assistant; walk away for good; or coach another club.

Coaching for five months has proven football remained a huge factor in his life. “I knew I would love it, but I just resisted the temptation to go there, but now that I’m there ... I’m thinking about it a lot,’’ he said.

He said the decision to coach again was a “big adjustment” and that his wife Jana was a strong consideration. “I’m recently married — she had to be part of the decision-making,” he said. “Jana said it, and I’ve actually said it to players I’ve coached: football is what you do.

“Unfortunately, not unfortunately because I’m blessed I’ve had the career I’ve had, but with football, I actually love it.

“And I know I’m OK at it. I help people. That’s what you can provide people in this job. You can get people to go way beyond what they thought they were capable of being, and that’s a good thing in this world.”

If that's the case i don't want him coaching a 3rd club i want him coaching Essendon.

I really wish he would coach us for another couple of seasons, Bomber is 1 of the best coaches in the game.

I'm not sure what I want to happen at the end of the year but one thing is very likely and that's one party or both are not too happy at the end of it. Much like the Malthouse/Buckley saga, these kind of arrangements are difficult to work out.

Swap the roles. Three year contract as head coach for Bomber and Hird to play Buckley under him as assistant.

If Mark Thompson walks away at the end of the year I'll be shattered.

And if James Hird wants to rebuild his public persona and reputation, playing humble and telling people he wants to learn from the best before taking on the top job again is a damn good start.

Swap the roles. Three year contract as head coach for Bomber and Hird to play Buckley under him as assistant.

If Mark Thompson walks away at the end of the year I'll be shattered.

And if James Hird wants to rebuild his public persona and reputation, playing humble and telling people he wants to learn from the best before taking on the top job again is a damn good start.

disagree vehemently. Hird has done his apprenticeship. he's a super coach, the boys play for him, he's the right guy. he coached some incredible wins last year, under immense pressure.

can't wait til he's back.

disagree vehemently. Hird has done his apprenticeship. he's a super coach, the boys play for him, he's the right guy. he coached some incredible wins last year, under immense pressure.

can't wait til he's back.

Hey man, remember that Hird was only responsible for the losses. Whenever we got up, Bomber was in charge. :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back