Mark Harvey

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 16, 2006
ge
AFL Club
Fremantle
While every Freo supporter would admit there's still a long way to go before we are genuine contenders, a fair bit of kudos should go to this man for what he has achieved so far.

Yesterday we played our 7th debut player for the year, and are still in the hunt for top four. We took 9 players all up in the 2009 draft, and all but one have played for us this season.

6 in the ND (Mora, Fyfe, Houghton, Crichton, Roberton, Bollenhagen)
1 in the PSD (McPhee)
2 in the RD (Barlow, Silvagni)

Houghton is the only man not to have played, and being a young, developing KPP this is understandable.

In what was said to be a shallow, weak draft, Freo have managed to get late picks playing in a competitive team and contributing to the performances. Yesterday, Bollenhagen kicked two goals. Crichton's had two from two games. Roberton's been very good, Mora's shown why he was highly rated (most clearances for Freo yesterday), and you couldn't say more about Fyfe than what's already being said.

What is truly remarkable, though, is that these guys are actually playing. In the timid days of Connolly/Schwab, a played picked past pick 40 almost never got a game.

And we've still got guys like Sibo, who from all reports should be aiming for a permanent spot in the 22 next year, and Buca, who was making a fair show of forcing his way into the lineup before injuries struck.

While it's disappointing for some us who still have faith in guys like Schammer and Hinkley, it's understandable that some of our blokes performances are being over looked if they're not considered to be part of our future.

It's good to know that our coaches/list managers are strong enough to stick with the tough choices.

While every Freo supporter would admit there's still a long way to go before we are genuine contenders, a fair bit of kudos should go to this man for what he has achieved so far.

Yesterday we played our 7th debut player for the year, and are still in the hunt for top four. We took 9 players all up in the 2009 draft, and all but one have played for us this season.

6 in the ND (Mora, Fyfe, Houghton, Crichton, Roberton, Bollenhagen)
1 in the PSD (McPhee)
2 in the RD (Barlow, Silvagni)

Houghton is the only man not to have played, and being a young, developing KPP this is understandable.

In what was said to be a shallow, weak draft, Freo have managed to get late picks playing in a competitive team and contributing to the performances. Yesterday, Bollenhagen kicked two goals. Crichton's had two from two games. Roberton's been very good, Mora's shown why he was highly rated (most clearances for Freo yesterday), and you couldn't say more about Fyfe than what's already being said.

What is truly remarkable, though, is that these guys are actually playing. In the timid days of Connolly/Schwab, a played picked past pick 40 almost never got a game.
On the money clay, might have to change my name if we keep going in this direction !!

the one thing harvey has done to get us up and running more than anything else, is introduce a never say die attitude and a focus on tackling. its amazing having a team of hardened, tough players to follow :thumbsu: very much in the mould of harvey himself. i would suggest if there is one team in the afl that reflects their coach more than any other it is fremantle. if there is one team which reflects the opposite of their coach more than any other it is westcoast :D

Great post Clay.

I was stoked when we hired Harvey and great to see the players (and club) playing like he played the game, leave nothing on the field and be able to look your coach and teammates in the eye after the final siren.

Our midfield still needs quite a lot of work, but I'm impressed with Crichton , looks like he could be serviceable with a little more bulk and confidence. If we can luck out and trade in a decent 24-26yo midfielder for not much in return we will be doing pretty well in the midfield next year I think.

Good post Clay.

Has Gav56 actually come around yet? He'd surely have to admit he was wrong about Harv's wouldn't he?

And its no surprise that we don't hear much from Ralph Dags around here with Harvey backing the, in his words, "fancy pants youngsters" in to do the job...

loving 2010.how much improvement is there going to be in,mora,fyfe,barlow,hill,broughton,suban,robbo,snos,bolly,jesse,ballas,de boer,palms and I may aswell throw in ibbo for good measure.

I was impressed with Ibbo yesterday, I really thought that he threw himself into the game and became more physical in his play. This is exactly what we need for him to do. He has excellent skills and if he can combine that with a more physical approach (as in yesterday) they we will be going a good step towards covering the loss of Barlow.

Our midfield still needs quite a lot of work, but I'm impressed with Crichton , looks like he could be serviceable with a little more bulk and confidence. If we can luck out and trade in a decent 24-26yo midfielder for not much in return we will be doing pretty well in the midfield next year I think.

Let me guess we are trading Mundy for this magic 24-26yr old mid?:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark Harvey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back