20180930235543a_1024x576.jpg

Details
Number
Height 180cm
Weight 82Kg
DOB 25-05-1991
Debut 2013 Round 7 Vs Brisbane

Player Honours: AFL Premiership Player 2018
Draft history: Round 1, Pick #20 2009 Rookie Draft (St Kilda), 2012 Draft Pick 60

Games
West Coast 120 games, 46 goals

Last edited:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/87021/default.aspx

Height: 180cm
Weight: 82kg
DOB: 25/05/91
Recruited from: Coolbinia/East Perth
Bio: Tough inside midfielder with fierce attack on the ball. Handpassing, vision and endurance are all strengths. Captain of successful WA U18 squad in 2009 where he averaged 17 disposals and five tackles. Outstanding beep test at Draft Camp with 14.12 (top 12 per cent).
Matt Burgan's draft rating: 35-rookie
Watch Mark Hutchings in action
Stats (averages for U18 Championships)
Games K H D M G H/O
5 7 10 17 3 0 -
In his own words
What type of player are you?
I am a team oriented inside midfielder that enjoys winning the hard ball and dishing it out to my teammates. I am an unselfish-type and I pride myself on working hard on the football field.
Which AFL player do you feel you resemble, and why?
Sam Mitchell - a leader who works hard around the stoppages and enjoys winning the contested ball. He is not a hugely flashy player but is still an influential midfielder. I feel I have these attributes as a footballer also.
What are your strengths as a footballer?
I believe my strong work ethic, a willingness to listen and learn, the ability to win the hard ball, my team-oriented mindset and my quick hands are my biggest assets as a footballer.
What parts of your game would you like to improve?
I feel I can, and would like to, improve my speed, kicking skills and consistency in my performances. I would also like to add a bit of flair into my game, as well as achieving more penetration with my disposals.
Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
The West Coast Eagles. My older cousin was a mad Eagles supporter, along with my dad, so at an early age I was influenced by them. Also, because West Coast were a local WA team, they were frequently on the news and on TV so I was exposed to them as lot.
Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
Dad - has always offered support and advice on the areas I need to improve on. Never failed to get me to training and games on time and always watched with interest, giving me feedback on my games afterwards.

The replacement Swift scapegoat.
Too normal looking to be the Swift scapegoat replacement, If Colledge remains as scrawny and retains the seedy ass mo', my money is on him.

Hutchings is more like Stevens without potential, reckon he will be perceived as such. More meh' than whipping boy imo.

Too normal looking to be the Swift scapegoat replacement, If Colledge remains as scrawny and retains the seedy arse mo', my money is on him.

Hutchings is more like Stevens without potential, reckon he will be perceived as such. More meh' than whipping boy imo.

As scrawny as Darling.

Too normal looking to be the Swift scapegoat replacement, If Colledge remains as scrawny and retains the seedy arse mo', my money is on him.

Fair bit more zip and interest in the game than Stevens IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only difference is that Hutchings is the same age and has shown he can rack up far more of the ball as an inside mid. He just doesn't have the massive shoulders.

Hutchings (21 years) Ave 2012: 25 disposals, 7 marks, 3.5 tackles
Stevens (21 years) Ave 2012: 20.5 disposals, 4.5 marks, 3 tackles

From Quigley's 2009 mock draft -
PICK 52 – FREMANTLE
It is getting to the stage where Freo usually like to take locals and Hutchings fits nicely into that category. He is not a flashy player but his leadership skills and tenacious, hard at it attitude would be a real positive for a team looking to overcome culture problems. At worst he offers a nice back up to Crowley.

Mark Hutchings (East Perth, WA)
Height: 181cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 25/05/91

Another player who could go anywhere from the second round to not at all. Hutchings is an inside mid and was one of the number of good midfielders that WA was able to throw at their opposition this year. He is a footballer first and foremost and there is not a lot of flash about his game. Inside he has fairly quick hands and pretty good vision but I don’t think he reads the play or the ball off hands as well as other inside mids who I have rated ahead of him. I think in the AFL he maybe likely to play as a tagger who is capable of winning his own ball once he gets to the contest. He was used in this role in the WAFL games he played this year. Playing as a tagger he could be lead to the dangerous spots which I don’t think he gets to often enough now especially for a guy who is an elite runner. He can run all day and is a very tenacious and disciplined player who is more than willing to do the team thing. He does what is needed to win games and won’t be outworked. He is a leader who gets the best out of those around him. By foot he is pretty reasonable but can miss targets occasionally and he generally lacks penetration. One of his other big question marks is his pace and at camp he did test fairly poorly in this regard. The problem appears to be mostly pace off the mark more than top end speed and he was noticeably better over the slightly longer 30m repeat sprint. He tested better for agility at the Camp than I expected and being in the top 25% in this would have surprised many I believe. He tested very well in the endurance tests though which was not a surprise. As mentioned his biggest strength is the ability to run all day but it is poignant to note that at the Champs he averaged only 16.6 disposals and 1.8 clearances per game. For the type of player he is I would have liked to see more in both of those categories. He did however average 5.8 tackles (second best) per game which emphasises the defensive aspects of his game.

From Snoops 2009 mock draft -
# 31 – Western Bulldogs
Mark Hutchings / East Perth / 180cm / 82kg

Every draft seems to throw up a certain type of player and this year it seems to be inside midfielders. Hutchings is another off the WA production line and frankly little separates him from many of the others above. He is a bit smaller than the others and doesnt have a great deal of x factor (which means he may not go at all unfortuntaley - he is a bit like DeBoer) but he is just your good honest footballer who keeps on trying and never leaving much in the tank. Played league footy last year and his form and development continued this year. Built solidly and wouldn’t be far from being able to play some senior footy in his first year. The knock on him would be his foot skills are probably not as good as some that are before him but he is great at the ball, clears it well by hand and runs all day. Foot skills are ok but he is probably only in the good camp I would say.

Others that might be considered: Sumner strikes me as a bulldog type but with Harbrow playing that role then need to look at something else. Maybe hoping Astbury still around if a tall needed. McMillan-Pittard the other obvious player of quality available as well. If Bartlett slid I could see him here. He is an Eade type.

From Snoops 2009 mock draft -
# 31 – Western Bulldogs
Mark Hutchings / East Perth / 180cm / 82kg

Every draft seems to throw up a certain type of player and this year it seems to be inside midfielders. Hutchings is another off the WA production line and frankly little separates him from many of the others above. He is a bit smaller than the others and doesnt have a great deal of x factor (which means he may not go at all unfortuntaley - he is a bit like DeBoer) but he is just your good honest footballer who keeps on trying and never leaving much in the tank. Played league footy last year and his form and development continued this year. Built solidly and wouldn’t be far from being able to play some senior footy in his first year. The knock on him would be his foot skills are probably not as good as some that are before him but he is great at the ball, clears it well by hand and runs all day. Foot skills are ok but he is probably only in the good camp I would say.

That was some team/squad he captained in 2009. Apart from Darling, Cripps, Shepp, Wilsom B (and Weedon and Neates), Morabito, Swallow D, Matera, Lucas, Winmar, Fasolo, Brown, Black, Garlett C, Collica, Duncan M, Houghton, Foster, Colyer, Polkington, Luff, wasn't Bennell H in there too? Must have some leadership qualities to have been made capitan.

If he does get game time this year other then NAB cup then this article regarding his potential for dream team is promising. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-01-22/afl-fantasy

4. Dayne Zorko (Brisbane Lions)
Price rise:
$304,200 (from $104,200 to $408,400)
2012 points average: 94.7
2013 prospects: Zorko quickly established himself in the Lions' midfield, earning his spot, and then influencing games off his own boot. Zorko often chalks up big numbers and puts large amounts of pressure on the opposition. Not just an inside threat, Zorko can also make an impact on the scoreboard for the Lions.
2013 equivalent: Mark Hutchings (West Coast). Price: $102,700. Position: MID. Hutchings was a dominant figure at WAFL level last season, so much so he finished runner-up in the Sandover Medal. The 21-year-old won at least 20 disposals in all but four of his 20 games and ranked fourth in the competition in clearances in the WAFL last season. Has already become attuned to playing senior football, so look for him to feature early in the NAB Cup.

Bring it on!!! I had zork's last year. What a steal.

yep
If he does get game time this year other then NAB cup then this article regarding his potential for dream team is promising. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-01-22/afl-fantasy

4. Dayne Zorko (Brisbane Lions)
Price rise: $304,200 (from $104,200 to $408,400)
2012 points average: 94.7
2013 prospects: Zorko quickly established himself in the Lions' midfield, earning his spot, and then influencing games off his own boot. Zorko often chalks up big numbers and puts large amounts of pressure on the opposition. Not just an inside threat, Zorko can also make an impact on the scoreboard for the Lions.
2013 equivalent: Mark Hutchings (West Coast). Price: $102,700. Position: MID. Hutchings was a dominant figure at WAFL level last season, so much so he finished runner-up in the Sandover Medal. The 21-year-old won at least 20 disposals in all but four of his 20 games and ranked fourth in the competition in clearances in the WAFL last season. Has already become attuned to playing senior football, so look for him to feature early in the NAB Cup.

Bring it on!!! I had zork's last year. What a steal.
I've got Rabbit in my DT too. With Kerry not likely to be available at start of season, Rabbit might just be given a couple of early games. And then if he proves himself worthy ....... we could rest Kerry until the pointy end of the season.

"Hutchings improved his chances of an early AFL call-up by West Coast with an encouraging performance in the Falcons' 17.11 (113) to 8.9 (57) victory.
The 21-year-old had 25 possessions, five marks, three tackles, four inside 50s and kicked a goal in an impressive all-round effort that would have pleased Eagles officials."

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Mark Hutchings (2013 - 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back