martial arts - which is best?

Remove this Banner Ad

Boxing beats all in a pub brawl.
Wrong.

Depends, i wouldnt put any higher, some are better in different situations, Armed combat? Does the fight go to ground? no rules? Is this a contest with rules?

Grappling? i would pick Judo or Brazillian Ju Jitsu
Striking? Tae Kwan Do, Wing Chun(Bruce Lee practised this, its probably the best for close unarmed combat)

Wrong.

Depends, i wouldnt put any higher, some are better in different situations, Armed combat? Does the fight go to ground? no rules? Is this a contest with rules?

Grappling? i would pick Judo or Brazillian Ju Jitsu
Striking? Tae Kwan Do, Wing Chun(Bruce Lee practised this, its probably the best for close unarmed combat)

The original question is pretty open. If I had to choose one - Boxing would be the one I choose.

Throw in some elbows and knees and you stand a good chance of being the one to end the fight.

Agreed.

Morihei Ueshiba was a genius and with his sub-5' frame he could walk around the impact point of any attack of any attacker (even if they had a samurai sword as an advantage!). In the event that it was a genuine attack, he could take your life within a couple of seconds of you attacking him.

He was also a Master in another sense and The Art of Peace is well worth meditating on:

http://omlc.ogi.edu/aikido/talk/osensei/artofpeace/

As a martial artist myself if I wanted to choose the best self defense in a pub situation, I'd suggest: running

if it was a 1 on 1 fight, school yard middle of the oval kinda thing? Could only pick 1 art to choose, BJJ for sure. Its pretty much been proven as the art that will give you the most benefit - the early UFC's were a good indicator of its succesfullness against other arts. It still has it's weaknesses, but I'd certainly pick it over other arts. There's always going to be debate over which is best, but I'd pick BJJ just for the fact that you are taking people out of their comfort zone. Its a staple training component for modern MMA when most other arts aren't bothered with.

Of course its best to train in multiple different arts and be able to transition between them - or at least have some basic skills in each area of combat. Judo or wrestling for takedowns, BJJ or Sambo for groundfighting and Karate/Muay Thai or Boxing for striking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- the early UFC's were a good indicator of its succesfullness against other arts.
I just don't understand how UFC is any indicator of a martial art!

Martial arts is mock combat designed as practice for full blown warfare, often traditional warfare for the Asian continent. As such, killing the guy in self-defence needs to be the ultimate goal, otherwise he will come back and / or others will be at you while you are still dealing with him.

It's why I rate Aikido the highest. Sword, staff, knife, hand to hand...the bloke will have a broken shoulder and neck after the first attack.

In addition, you need to be able to handle more than a one on one situation, keep your feet and your back clear. No point dry humping on the ground only to be kicked in the head a dozen times.

But I do agree; not getting into combat is the best possible outcome!

I just don't understand how UFC is any indicator of a martial art!

Martial arts is mock combat designed as practice for full blown warfare, often traditional warfare for the Asian continent. As such, killing the guy in self-defence needs to be the ultimate goal, otherwise he will come back and / or others will be at you while you are still dealing with him.

It's why I rate Aikido the highest. Sword, staff, knife, hand to hand...the bloke will have a broken shoulder and neck after the first attack.

In addition, you need to be able to handle more than a one on one situation, keep your feet and your back clear. No point dry humping on the ground only to be kicked in the head a dozen times.

But I do agree; not getting into combat is the best possible outcome!

In the name. It's called MMA. Mixed Martial arts. Akido fighters get KTFO btw.

In the name. It's called MMA. Mixed Martial arts. Akido fighters get KTFO btw.
Why would genuine Aikidoka even enter that rubbish? Bona fide Udansha should stay the hell away knowing the injury they could inflict!

Here's a broken arm off one technique and the reason why Aikido shouldn't be used in sport:

[YOUTUBE]qxm09n5lIMk[/YOUTUBE]

Segal's movies and Aikido in sport are two things that should not be associated with the Art of O'Sensei Morihei Ueshiba!

Why would genuine Aikidoka even enter that rubbish? Bona fide Udansha should stay the hell away knowing the injury they could inflict!

Here's a broken arm off one technique and the reason why Aikido shouldn't be used in sport:

Segal's movies and Aikido in sport are two things that should not be associated with the Art of O'Sensei Morihei Ueshiba!

Link please?

My work blocks youtube and vid files unless I activate it for a 10 minute period. I can't see that vid unless I jet the path. Cheers.

Yeah, but who fights someone with a sword or a knife? Run! GTFO of there!

As I clarified in my post, 1 on 1, I'd choose BJJ. If you wanna fight multiple people, pack an uzi!

Yeah, but who fights someone with a sword or a knife? Run! GTFO of there!

As I clarified in my post, 1 on 1, I'd choose BJJ. If you wanna fight multiple people, pack an uzi!
Lol! Fair enough.

I guess Ueshiba's philosophy was if you had to do anything, running wasn't much of an option, particularly in (samurai) warfare. You'd have more honour in committing seppuku!

Yeah but both those moves are legal in all forms of MMA. So if aikido is so affective why aren't all fighters taking it up?

And both those move are Judo oriented. The dude in the first one was Lyoto Machida, who is a Karate dude (surprisingly), and the technique wasn't even remotely similar to the one show after by the Aikido guy. He used the near arm in some sort of reverse chicken wing, Machida actually did a hip throw, his opponents near arm was around his back, I'd be guessing he learnt that move through his history in Sumo, he's never even trained in Aikido. The second dude is a Japanese Judokai who's name escapes me, so I'm guessing what he was doing was also Judo, you can see as much by the leg trip that he was trying to throw.

The statement that Aikidokai wouldn't enter MMA is absurd, they have in the early days of the UFC, and they had their arses summarily kicked. Ever since they've sat on the outside whining about the rules, and multiple attackers and all that other nonsical bullshit about some magical "real" world where the life they spent training aikido isn't a complete waste of time. Just like those wing chun idiots.

And I don't know what you are talking about with the samurai warfare reference? Aikido was created around 1930. The samurai as a class were basically extinct about 60 years before. The hand to hand combat of the samurai was basically traditional Juijutsu.

Remove this Banner Ad

martial arts - which is best?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back