Martin or Luey?

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess the likelyhood of Luey and Martin being fit together for long periods of time is low however I just want them both to succeed badly..... for different reasons.
Luey cause he's been loyal and extremely unlucky with injury.
Martin cause nobody expected him to be good. Its the whole underdog thing........ but

I want the best outcome for the team even more. Luey would still be extremely valuable on the trade table (as long as he isnt carrying an injury he has no prospect of recovering from). Furthermore it could be good for Luey. I mean his head must be messed up by now. A fresh start may be good for both club and individual. I think he could attract a top 10 pick from a team desperate for a ready-made elite ruckman.

Imagine two picks in the top 10!! Wight and McCartin.... or Wight and Petracca whilst still having Martin and West as rucks! You'd have Smith as the "third in line" too. The club needs to make some bold moves here..... Luey would have to on board though.

This week should have told you that we need a key focal point desperately. While the intent was there we didnt even get 10 goals. Martin/Leuy might get 1 goal a game and that is a BIG might as they don't look like kicking goals when stationed there.

As others have said, you can get mids everywhere but you can only get a good forward in the top 5/10 picks.
This seems like the year when we could have got Lynch but we chose Polec instead.

No this week told me we need more smooth movers in our midfield so that we can transition the football with more speed, efficiency and skill to allow our forwards the opportunity to mark the football. Once again I state- when our draft pick comes up and we choose if the best kid available to us is a key forward then by all means select him. If he isn't don't go picking a tall just because we need one, take the best gun mid available.

Anyone who's watched our ruck stocks over the past 15 years would know we should be keeping as many good quality rucks on our list at any one time as we can.
Indeed. What did a previous poster say about Big footy shorttermism? Lack of historical knowledge as well.

Anyone who's watched our ruck stocks over the past 15 years would know we should be keeping as many good quality rucks on our list at any one time as we can.

Absolutely, true rucks get injured a lot.

Martin as the primary ruck, Leuey as the forward/ruck. West on the sidelines getting repaired waiting for his chance.

1. If Martin starts losing form then Leuey goes primary Martin as forward. If Martin continues to play poor he goes out for West.

2. If Leuey goes downhill then West comes in and replaces Leuey.

They will have ~ 12 games next season that they can use to showcase themselves until West is fit enough to challenge them.
Winner takes all and the loser is traded.

Let the games begin.

Stef\Leuey Ruck forward combo resting options.

McGuane and West too shoulder most of the KPF work with Lisle as their 3rd tall. Merrett back to Support Goose and Patful in the backline and take over from Goose on his retirement in 2 years (Am hoping??)

Now some might say it is too tall to have Those 4 in the FWD line (resting Ruck + 3 fwds) but am not so sure. Lisle and Martin seem to be pretty nimble and may even work as linking targets to the FWD line and allow McGuane West to do a lot of the fwd work with the crumbers?

or something along those lines...

Anyway long shot thought but hey whats this forum for??? :p haha

I'd have both in the team. Will be a massive plus.

I'm so proud of and happy for Martin. The way he has come back (after some disappointing form before he was injured) and played with such great intensity and courage has been a testament to his hard work.

History would show us that at the lions we need at minimum 3 afl standard rucks on our list at any one time with another 1 or two development rucks. To say we de-list one of our 3 for any reason just seems unconsidered and ingoring the long and established history of rucks going down on queue. If we ever get the luxury of playing two of them together for an extended period (let alone 1 playing for an extended period) we should all throw our hands up and give thanks to whoever we so desire to and whisper quietly about how good it is to have options, while carrying round a small piece of wood to constantly touch.

easy choice for me - martin. right now hes playing better than luey has ever played in his whole career. although id like to see them both in the team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep them both. As others have said history is not in our favour when it comes to rucks and their bodies. Whether it's the cricket pitch or just bad luck I think there is a place for two genuine rucks and 2 ruck forwards in the team. I'm 50/50 on who shoulders the bulk of the ruck work though, peak/end rule demands Stef but I have very fond memories of a very damaging Luey. Time will see how well he recovers. At this stage we need all 4 of them (although James North will likely make an impassioned plea for one ruckman playing seniors and reserves).

At this stage we need all 4 of them (although James North will likely make an impassioned plea for one ruckman playing seniors and reserves).

Mainly I wish he played social basketball in a team that I could join.

Lions' ruckman is an ok spot for him though ... but I genuinely don't think we'll see him take the field until late next year or the following one.

An extremely good first year for Archie overall.

Yeah, probably shouldn't have waited until Stef got to the 'show me the money' stage before signing him up again.
Until he got there he was in the "show us why we shouldn't delist you" stage. That's not someone you're looking to sign preemptively.

This is why we need all four on field - so we can ... the opposition

M artin - athletic but seems to like the close in and link up work as opposed to being the target up forward
A rchie - has the springs from all reports (from James North:)) and combine results
W est - probably the better contested marker
L euy - athletic and works hard in the open

Thank you for the poetic licence :D #200120022003

This is why we need all four on field - so we can ... the opposition

M artin - athletic but seems to like the close in and link up work as opposed to being the target up forward
A rchie - has the springs from all reports (from James North:)) and combine results
W est - probably the better contested marker
L euy - athletic and works hard in the open

Thank you for the poetic licence :D #200120022003
I can see it all coming together.
Smith as the ruck, Martin the inside mid, West the FF and Berger the rebounding defender.

I don't have a link, but heard on SEN for what that is worth, that Collingwood is showing an interest in Martin.

western royboy may have more insight in this regard.
No mail only going on media reports that suggested Collingwood would be in the running for a Ruckman. Be wary here folks. In summary the AFL is littered with Ruckman who left in order to seek more opportunity, thinking Ivan Maric (Adelaide - Richmond), Sam Jacobs (Cartlton - Adelaide), Shane Mumford (Geelong - Sydney/GWS).

As good as Martin has been, the body of work suggests to me at least the Luenberger is the better option. Hopefully we can keep both and West but if someone tugs his ear he may succumb to the go home factor as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Martin or Luey?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back