Universal Love Martin Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

remember dumma retired and then 6 weeks later announced gold campaigners
When you quit a job do you say you're retiring?

Imagine working at the same company in the same position for 13 years, you turn around the business from a disaster to beyond even your highest possible expectations. But now you're looking down the barrel of having to start again while all your favourite co-workers start moving on. Same position. Same building. A lot of the same problems to solve and the same people you see day to do. You've got job scrutiny and media attention with everything you do and even your personal life becomes public.

Then you decide to quit as you do't think you are the best person to do this for this company anymore. You travel around Europe for 6 months, you return and are offered the similar role with a huge salary in a different state, near the beach, more casual, less scrutiny, less media attention. You've got a whole new company, people, problems to solve and things to achieve.

Yet some nuffies don't believe that's enough to get over burnt out from your job.

I almost feel like I'm in mourning. What an absolute legend of the game. He's done it all his own way right to the very end. I don't know that there are enough words to describe his impact on the history of this club. All the best in retirement.

Now the era is really over. I'm surprized how hard this hit me considering I suspected that it was coming.

Dusty provided my family and I with so many happy memories, not just in the Grand Finals but all through his career. My favourite memory is still the goal he kicked on Dangerfield in the 2020 flag though. He snatched up the intercept, spun around to through off Danger and then snapped the goal. For me, it put a full stop to who was the best player out of the two.

His impact was also felt off the field. My boys still get a 'Dusty' hairstyle from time to time. I'm not sure the neck tats will catch on but he will go down as one of the most recognizable figures in football of all time. I think it's only a matter of time before he receives his own statue out the front of the MCG.

We love you mate. Good luck for whatever you do in the future.

That’s probably one of my fav ever football memories at that game , the noise when he kicked that was off the charts
God that team was so ****ing good. Just in that clip you've got Captain Cotch was the huge contested mark, Rioli + Butler + Jack + Edwards making the contest, putting on pressure to win the ball back and then those fast forward handballs to break it open.

And that step from Dusty my god. He changed direction so fast that he lost his opponent in a single sideways step. That was the AFL version of an ankle breaker.

I’ve watched both my girls get born. Witnessing the miracle of life unfold right in front of my eyes. Watching Martin fend off half the Geelong side including danger and kick that snag in the last quarter of the 2020 GF trumps both of those experiences and I like to share this with my family on a daily basis. I feel that, although disappointed, they completely understand my position

I understand fully SS. I always say the 2017 flag was the best day of my life. People say ‘But what about when you had your babies?’ And I say ‘Well no, that involved pain, there was no pain whatsoever on 30/9/17.’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wowee.

What a sad day ☹️

Sad, but happy at same time. He retires a One Club Tiger Legend.

We desperately needed something to remind us that being part of the Greatest dynasty in our history & retiring a "one club" Tiger means something. With a bunch of other dynasty role players sniffing out exits, we needed Dusty to do this. Its sad to see tge end of his playing days, but it was time & this was the best result.

once we trade out those who are not as commited to being life-time Tigs,Yze will now have 12 months with a squad that will be his & no one elses. This season was somewhat a free hit for him, but needs to be called what it was - a swing & a miss.

Thanks Dusty for everything you have given us & retiring a Tiger, one club, legend

No link on the club website or on AFL.com to watch/listen to the Gale press conference. I get that Dusty isn't there and has given the media the cold shoulder but pretty poor from the club overall

No link on the club website or on AFL.com to watch/listen to the Gale press conference. I get that Dusty isn't there and has given the media the cold shoulder but pretty poor from the club overall
Am watching via the Herald Sun page

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Martin Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back