Universal Love Martin Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah fair play, but I thought he could easily do what hodge did. I just know that Dimma is as shifty as it comes and wouldn't surprise me if he's pulling a lot of strings.
It won't stop a plethora of people posting that he's pulling a swifty and is going to suit up for the Suns next year. Already started here. It's like a pandemic of misinformation when it comes to Dusty.

A truly humble man, year in, year out, in the face of the best fabrication articles that media tartlets (toned this down a bit) could muster.

Dusty playing was responsible for delighting many an average Australian, Tiges supporter or no. That made so many people happy and ergo a better life. As indicated by favorite story that oft told by Mark Ricciuto and recounted in the HS.A tribe of his kids rebelled (and I think, his wife), There's a cat called Dusty

Dusty, I wish less harassment post football for you, with all the best for future business ventures. You may continue to delight many more.
I love that story !

Named our dog Dusty. He's registered with the council as "Dusty Norman Smith" and that's how I introduce him to everyone 🤣

**** this makes me sad , if it wasn't for that kidney injury who knows how long he could of gone on for , he's had a tough few years with setbacks outside of his control.

But this doesn't change the fact he is the greatest player of all time. Yes all of vfl all history. He basically lifted us from a time where we thought we would never see a finals win in our life to winning 3 flags in a row.

Then basically carried the team in 2020 to win the flag , don't remember seeing a man soloing his team to a GF win after we were on the brink of defeat like that. He is the greatest. Feel lucky to have watched him

To me, he will be forever a champion of the club and the game in the 21st century. He is the ultimate player. A player that all young Richmond fans will be talking about until they're 90. He will be glorified like the Ghost of Jack Dyer and other legendary players.

I am genuinely happy for him and I wish him all the best. I don't think I will ever see a player as good as him ever again.

**** this makes me sad , if it wasn't for that kidney injury who knows how long he could of gone on for , he's had a tough few years with setbacks outside of his control.

But this doesn't change the fact he is the greatest player of all time. Yes all of vfl all history. He basically lifted us from a time where we thought we would never see a finals win in our life to winning 3 flags in a row.

Then basically carried the team in 2020 to win the flag , don't remember seeing a man soloing his team to a GF win after we were on the brink of defeat like that. He is the greatest. Feel lucky to have watched him
Hasn’t been right since that campaigner in Brisbane took him out

Still Richo for me...
But the GOAT 🐐 has all the shiny hardware and 3GFs!
That's the great thing about it all. Everyone has their own opinion on who is the best, or their own favourite, and no-one can take that away from them. ;)
BTW, Richo a great player. Imagine if he could have kicked straight? :rolleyes:

Based on Martin having mental and physical challenges to get up each week, are GC really going to come at him with a 2-year deal at $600k per season?

I’ll admit I thought his move to GC was likely early in 2024…. But seeing Martin struggle with his calf and then his back, I actually don’t think GC would risk recruiting him and don’t think Martin wants to play on anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He's cooked. Won't do a Hodge or Dimma.

Based on Martin having mental and physical challenges to get up each week, are GC really going to come at him with a 2-year deal at $600k per season?

I’ll admit I thought his move to GC was likely early in 2024…. But seeing Martin struggle with his calf and then his back, I actually don’t think GC would risk recruiting him and don’t think Martin wants to play on anyway.

Bro, what part of "retired" are you not understanding. He was NEVER going there and there was no offer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ithout Dusty, Tigers would not have that glorious treble of flags​

Jake Niall

ByJake Niall

Dustin Martin was the AFL’s premier impact footballer, the player whose talents most shaped the outcome of games and premierships since the advent of the millennium.
Without Martin, the Tigers would not have that glorious treble of flags. Without him, Damien Hardwick wouldn’t be a feted triple-premiership coach and Trent Cotchin would not have “three-time premiership skipper” adorning his resume.
The faces of Dusty: After the 2019 grand final, the 2020 decider and the 2017 grand final.

The faces of Dusty: After the 2019 grand final, the 2020 decider and the 2017 grand final.Credit:Archives
Careers were made and unmade by Martin’s astonishing combination of brute power – evident in his deployment of the signature fend-off – and his genius as an architect with the ball in his hands. Not since Wayne Carey, a key-forward nonpareil, has a player been such a decisive weapon in his peak years (2017-2020).
His teammates knew, as fellow 300-gamer Shane Edwards explained, that they merely had to “hang in there” and stay close in big games. In Martin, the Tigers had what Edwards called their “security blanket” who could deliver the knockout blows when the contest was in the balance.

“There was some element to hanging in there as a team, making the game as even as possible knowing we’ve got this guy in our front half that can take us over the line and lifts in the biggest moments,” Edwards told this masthead in a special gathering of Richmond’s five living 300-gamers at Punt Road, in the days preceding Dusty’s 300th.

Related Article​

Martin, who impressed coaches immediately at Richmond, in 2010.

AFL grand final

'Boy, could he play': Dusty's journey to Richmond greatness

We must assume that Martin has genuinely reached the end and that there will be no encore up on the Gold Coast, no retirees’ remorse and Tony Lockett-like comeback for a champ who has nothing left to achieve and seemingly little left to give.
For untold thousands of Richmond people – indeed, for much of the non-Richmond football public – it is to be hoped that Dusty keeps the boots hung up, remaining yellow and black from beginning to end.
His retirement is hardly a surprise, given the apparent loss of hunger, the absences from games and training. The fire had gone out.

We must assume that Dustin Martin has genuinely reached the end and that there will be no encore up on the Gold Coast, no retirees’ remorse and Tony Lockett-like comeback for a champ who has nothing left to achieve and seemingly little left to give.
Martin’s footballing feats were remarkable, more so for the fact that they were given full expression in the cauldron of finals and grand finals, as the only player with three Norm Smith Medals. In 2017, he dominated for a season and finals series, taking the Brownlow Medal and his first flag. In 2019, as he slew the Lions (six goals), then Geelong and Greater Western Sydney (grand final), he was still the One in September.

Editor's pick​

g

Exclusive​

Dustin Martin

Dusty in his own words: Watch the champion Tiger’s most revealing interview

By 2020, as the pandemic wrought a truncated season and finals in exile in Queensland, Dusty arguably had been supplanted, on a weekly basis, as the AFL’s premier player. The man with whom he shared a retirement on Tuesday, Geelong’s Tom Hawkins, was among one or two who might have eclipsed him. At least in the home-and-away games.
But, in the shadows of half-time in the grand final, as the Tigers stared down at defeat at the Gabba to Geelong, it was Dusty who abruptly turned the game on its head, with a trademark stunning snap; by the final siren, he’d booted four and the Tigers had cantered home.

Dusty’s mystique, compared to other champions, lay in his reclusive silence. His reticence meant he retained the mystery that nearly all AFL players forfeit once they’re drafted. He was even less forthcoming than Lance Franklin, Tony Lockett and Gary Ablett senior. Fittingly, Dusty’s retirement announcement to teammates wasn’t filmed by the club.
The fend-off, more colloquially known as the “don’t argue”, became a well-worn metaphor for his attitude to media incursions into his fenced-off private self. It mattered not that he defied the AFL’s conventions - and the media engine that drove the footy economy. A special player was afforded special concessions.

Richmond worked closely with Martin’s long-time agent Ralph Carr in the knowledge that the reticent champion had to be handled differently.
Raised in Castlemaine in challenging circumstances, Dusty had left high school in year nine and spent time working in Sydney with his colourful father Shane, who would be deported to New Zealand and was, to Martin’s chagrin, the subject of much media attention during his exile from his son.

It was a measure of the father-son relationship that sage Richmond football boss Neil Balme flew to New Zealand to importune Shane Martin on the eve of the 2017 finals as part of the club’s successful pitch to secure Dustin - who had a heftier offer from North Melbourne - on a seven-year mega deal.
Shane was the centre of Dusty’s universe, as Richmond officials put it, and his father’s death in December 2021 had a visible impact on the son, who took a turn towards melancholy. The heroics of 2017-2020 were only reprised sporadically thereafter, as the toll of injury and age rendered him less commanding, albeit his best was still imposing. His commitment - previously unconditional - waned from 2022.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/javascript:void(0);

'Someone pick up Dustin Martin'

'Someone pick up Dustin Martin'

Martin was not a player, such as Scott Pendlebury or Joel Selwood, whose fire would burn from day one until his mid-30s. The measure of his career was not in numbers – remarkable as they were – but in what he produced in key moments, repeatedly, for a club that, partly through his powers, enjoyed a four-year reign over the competition.
Richmond were blessed to call out his name at pick No. 3 in that storied draft of 2009, before which he had presciently told the draft camp interviewers that he would “play straight away” and be a positive force at whichever club chose him.

The Tigers – and the game – were also fortunate to have him for this long.
“He just loves winning,” said Richmond’s exiting chief executive Brendon Gale, whose stint as CEO coincided with Martin’s entire career. Having scaled the mountain three times and descended together, the football relationship between Dustin Martin and Richmond had no reason to endure.

I thought I’d be fine with Dusty retiring as it’s been clear all season this would be his last. Here to confirm I’m not ok with it at all. I feel like I need a weeks bereavement leave.
Same.

tom morris on sen refused to beleive that the retirement was concrete

he said hodgey retired and then was traded to the bears

watch this space

where theres smoke theres fire
Hodge was 'retired' by Hawthorn and not his own decision. He wanted to play on and that is when Fagan asked him the question about Brisbane.

2019 was worse … he averaged 26 touches and 1.2 goals a game, finished 5th Brownlow and missed …

how much do geelol players have that havent had half the seasons dusty has lmaoooo 🤣🤣🤣

cfl forever in bed with shockings scats

"Attention passengers, the Number 4 train will be terminating at Richmond.

Passengers for the Gold Coast are advised to wait for the Number 15 train, departing in October.

When in Queensland you'll be carried by a coach service for two years".

Thanks Dusty. Astonishing to think of how Dusty lifted when pressure was highest - the mark of true champions.

The three premierships were built from a core group of top echelon talent (Cotch, JR, Rance, Edwards…), solid role players over a duration, young players who have now developed into today’s quality, and players who played a role (cameo even) during the window. I thank them all, but Dusty was the jewel. Dusty orchestrated the success.

I will be forever grateful.

And can we (talking mainly to mass media here) dispense with the ‘arguably’ the best big game player? Where’s the argument? The best performer on the big stage, and not just grand finals, no IFs, buts or maybes!!!!

Thank-you Champion.

I actually feel a sense of grief and loss at this, we all got to witness one of the greatest periods in the history of the Richmond football club.

I felt the same way when Cotchin and Riewoldt retired but this feels different, it feels like this chapter has finally come to an end and we might not get to see this kind of success ever again.

To top it all off we all got to see one of the best players to ever play the game and he played for Richmond, we have been so privileged to see this guy run around dominating and doing what he loves and giving Richmond fans so much to cheer about, not only Richmond fans, AFL fans.

Words are hard to gather for an occasion like this, All I can say is I feel so grateful and thankful for being apart of the RFC during this successful period, my kids also got to see and taste the success.

And Dusty played a massive
Role in that success, A true ****ing legend.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Martin Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back