Universal Love Martin Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Yze mentioned that Martin felt like a burden to the team because of his injuries and performance. Plus, he thought he was taking the spot of a younger player
Sums him up really, doesn't it. What a champion. For such a freakishly talented footballer, he was the ultimate team player.

100% is the Richmond and AFL GOAT 🐐 👑.
Yep. As I said earlier either in this thread or somewhere else, I've been watching the game since the second half of the ''70's and he's the best player I've seen.

Yep. As I said earlier either in this thread or somewhere else, I've been watching the game since the second half of the ''70's and he's the best player I've seen.

I've been watching since 1966 and take your pick out of Barrot Bourke or Clay. Or of course, Hart went OK. Green & Sheedy were seriously good footballers. I rate flags so, that Hafey era trumps Dimma and Dusty.

I've been watching since 1966 and take your pick out of Barrot Bourke or Clay. Or of course, Hart went OK. Green & Sheedy were seriously good footballers. I rate flags so, that Hafey era trumps Dimma and Dusty.
But the Hafey era was semi-pro/amateur. 3 flags in the professional era trumps anything done in the VFA/VFL days, in my opinion.

I've been watching since 1966 and take your pick out of Barrot Bourke or Clay. Or of course, Hart went OK. Green & Sheedy were seriously good footballers.
Of that lot, I only saw Sheedy and Bourke at the end of their careers. Same with KB. Never saw Royce.

But the Hafey era was semi-pro/amateur. 3 flags in the professional era trumps anything done in the VFA/VFL days, in my opinion.
Whatever.. Graeme Richmond pulled the club out of a 22 year flag drought and set it up for a 5 flag era. Hard to win back then too.

He put together an insane playing list. Billy Barrott is the best footballer I've seen. Royce Hart took on Captaincy and was the best CHF & the best No. 4.

Last edited:
Whatever.. Graeme Richmond pulled the club out of a 22 year flag drought and set it up for a 5 flag era. Hard to win back then too
He put together an insane playing list, and Billy Barrot from being the footballer I've seen. Royce Hart took on Captaincy and was the best CHF & the best No. 4.
Respectfully, we’ll have to agree to disagree. Either way, Richmond has a fantastic history.🐅

Respectfully, we’ll have to agree to disagree. Either way, Richmond has a fantastic history.🐅
If you didn't observe it you can't compare it.

I've been watching since 1966 grand finals in 72~ 74, & saw the GF in Brizzy, in 2020 live. Seen Martin play a blinder.
Also seen the Bourke, Barrott & Clay line up. Barrot drop kicking a mile to Royce taking hangers was a sight to behold

Last edited:
If you didn't observe it you can't compare it.

I've been watching since 1966. & saw the GF in 2020.
I believe that you can’t compare guys who worked regular 9 - 5 jobs with professionals. It just isn’t logical. Not to mention that the league wasn’t even a national competition. Furthermore, the methods of equalisation such as salary cap and draft weren’t in place like they are now.

Fact 1: Today’s players are significantly better than VFL players due to the nature of being full-time professionals and advancements in sports science.

Fact 2: It is significantly more difficult to win a premiership (and multiple premierships) than it was in the VFL era. This is due to it being a national professional league with equalisation measures in place.

Ergo: D. Martin was significantly better than Hart, Barrott, KB etc.

(No disrespect meant to the VFL legends. It’s just how I see it.)

Last edited:
I believe that you can’t compare guys who worked regular 9 - 5 jobs with professionals. It just isn’t logical. Not to mention that the league wasn’t even a national competition. Furthermore, the methods of equalisation such as salary cap and draft weren’t in place like they are now.

Fact 1: Today’s players are significantly better than VFL players due to the nature of being full-time professionals and advancements in sports science.

Fact 2: It is significantly more difficult to win a premiership (and multiple premierships) than it was in the VFL era. This is due to it being a national professional league with equalisation measures in place.

Sorry let me finish laughing full time pros like Kamdyn McIntosh, Jack Graham running 15kms a game, sadly does not equate to them being good footballers at all.

Let alone better than Bourke, Barrott, Clay or Hart.

Fact 2: 22 year drought broken by G Richmond list, Hafey's coaching and produced 5 flags. 5>3.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry let me finish laughing full time pros like Kamdyn McIntosh, Jack Graham running 15kms a game, sadly does not equate to them being good footballers at all.

Let alone better than Bourke, Barrott, Clay or Hart.

McIntosh been playing for a decade and still can't kick.

The 60s & 70s also played with brutality long lost
Not talking about McIntosh or Graham. I'm talking about Dusty i.e. a modern star vs VFL stars.

Also, I don't appreciate you saying 'sorry let me finish laughing'. You don't need to belittle me. You are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.

Not talking about McIntosh or Graham. I'm talking about Dusty i.e. a modern star vs VFL stars.

Also, I don't appreciate you saying 'sorry let me finish laughing'. You don't need to belittle me. You are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.

was what I was scoffing at

Last edited:

I’m with you on this. Dusty would monster them in 1v1 contests as well as general play with his athleticism.

I love KB but he wouldn’t be as good as he was in todays game.

I’m with you on this. Dusty would monster them in 1v1 contests as well as general play with his athleticism.

I love KB but he wouldn’t be as good as he was in todays game.
Football was ****ing brutal every game. Had players like Bourke & Clay give him a run for his money. 1.85 wingers turned half backs.

1723603638747.png

Not to mention GR's administration by fist

1723603741882.png

Football was ****ing brutal every game. Had players like Bourke & Clay give him a run for his money. 1.85 wingers turned half backs.

View attachment 2078929

Not to mention GR's administration by fist

View attachment 2078933

People need to realise just because that stuff happened doesn’t mean these guys were “tougher” if you instructed todays players to knock the shit out of other players it would look worse than that, players would die.

People need to realise just because that stuff happened doesn’t mean these guys were “tougher” if you instructed todays players to knock the shit out of other players it would look worse than that, players would die.
c9ad2bf75191de87ba41674cf0d22707

Imagine Hafey sends Clay, Bourke, Mcghie or more likely Sheedy to Dusty? Get the shit punched out of you for half a game and then see how good he is.

You went 10 rounds every time you ran out.

tora tora tora, you are 100% wrong about Hafey era stars being better than the Dimmasty stars.

VFL players: Played in a state league without equalisation measures and were amateur or semi-pro.

AFL players: Played/Play in a national league with equalisation measures and are professionals.

There is no comparison between them. Saying otherwise is complete fantasy and illogical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Martin Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back