Romeo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 5, 2006
Hampton, Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
MAGPIES, BUSHRANGERS
Well Lillee has a point in that when I was growing up England used to be labelled Dad's Army and we are now indisputably an ageing team. But the proof will be in the pudding. Either Lillee, other detractors of our ageing warriors, or the ageing players themselves who deny the effects of father time will have egg on their faces by the end of the series.

Martyn lashes out at Lillee

Australian batsman Damien Martyn has reacted angrily to suggestions the age of the team's senior players could threaten its chances of winning the Ashes.
Former Australian fast bowler Dennis Lillee says the team may pay the price for having a number of batsmen in their mid 30s.
Martyn said Lillee should keep his opinions to himself.
"The team is disappointed in Dennis," he said.
"[There have been] several comments over the last six months which don't need to be said. You just lose respect."
Martyn said Lillee should concentrate on his own interests.
"Dennis Lillee should keep quiet as president of the WACA," Martyn said.
"I think it's disappointing. I mean, the WACA gets a lot of money off Cricket Australia and what this Australian cricket team does, so I think he should stick to running the WACA."
Martyn and fellow Western Australians Adam Gilchrist, Brad Hogg and Damien Martyn arrived back in Perth this morning following Australia's Champions Trophy win in India.
Hussey said the triumph had given the team a boost ahead of the Ashes.
"Everything we've been doing has been with a view of getting ready for the Ashes and making sure we play really, really well in the series," he said.
"We've obviously been focusing on all of the individual tournaments, there's not doubt about that, but in the back of our minds the massive focus has always been on the Ashes."

Dennis Lillee... in hot water with the Australian team. (Getty Images/Allsport

Martyn said Lillee should keep his opinions to himself.

Actually I'd rather DK did give his opinions. If asked, why shouldn't he say what he thinks about the side? After all, he is only one of our greatest ever cricketers:cool: .

Good one Marto:rolleyes: , just make sure you get some runs in the Ashes.

Martyn reacting angrily to something? Well I would've never guessed, the angry spoilt brat

Martyn is rubbished by a lot of media, 'experts' and fans alike. He has been the scape goat for the Australian side on numerous occassions yet has kept silent. After proving his detractors absolutely incorrect in both test and one day cricket, I think he is allowed to have a dig at those who unfairly judge him.

So, he says one thing to the media, and look at the shyte posted above that people say about him. Players like Warne and Ponting say what they want, and are loved by the masses. Martyn says one thing, and is a 'spoilt brat'.

Well I fully agree with Martyn Aus are in no way an ageing team .Where is the evidence for this ridiculous assumption and you would have to be a complete moron to think it is true

Actually having just checked the ages of the team I have noticed that infact they are incredibly old and without knowing the facts must be in line to be the oldest team in test history .I cant beleive I havent noticed or mentioned that before

Martyn is rubbished by a lot of media, 'experts' and fans alike. He has been the scape goat for the Australian side on numerous occassions yet has kept silent. After proving his detractors absolutely incorrect in both test and one day cricket, I think he is allowed to have a dig at those who unfairly judge him.

So, he says one thing to the media, and look at the shyte posted above that people say about him. Players like Warne and Ponting say what they want, and are loved by the masses. Martyn says one thing, and is a 'spoilt brat'.

Agree 100%, though Punter is starting to cop it now as he has a habit of saying silly things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually having just checked the ages of the team I have noticed that infact they are incredibly old and without knowing the facts must be in line to be the oldest team in test history .I cant beleive I havent noticed or mentioned that before

At least though none of our players have 42 on their birth certificate. Yes Colin Cowdrey was that age when he swapped pruning roses in Kent for facing bouncers from Lillee and Thommo in 1974-75 and he had several geriatic mates on that tour as well. Those were the days when the term Dad's Army first started being applied to cricket due to England's penchant for picking the tried and the true at the expense of promising youngsters. So linda (sic) you better check your own backyard first before declaring our team as the oldest ever.

I posted this in another thread.

1. Justin Lee Langer [Born 21st Nov, 1970] [Age: 35 years]
2. Matthew Lawrence Hayden [Born 29th Oct, 1971] [Age: 35 years]
3. Ricky Thomas Ponting [Born 19th Dec, 1974] [Age: 31 years]
4. Damien Richard Martyn [Born 21st Oct, 1971] [Age: 35 years]
5. Michael Edward Killeen Hussey [Born 27th May, 1975] [Age: 31 years]
6. Shane Robert Watson [Born 17th June, 1981] [Age: 25]
7. Adam Craig Gilchrist [Born 14th Nov, 1971] [Age: 34 years]
8. Shane Keith Warne [Born 13th Sep, 1969] [Age: 37 years]
9. Brett Lee [Born 8th Nov, 1976] [Age: 29 years]
10. Nathan Wade Bracken [Born 12th Sep, 1977] [Age: 29 years]
11. Glenn Donald McGrath [Born 9th Feb, 1970] [Age: 36 years]

In the other thread, I had Brad Hodge at 4 and Michael Clarke at 6, no Shane Watson, which would bring it down a little, with Clarke and Watson roughly the same age, but Hodge 4 years younger than Martyn, but Hodge is not young by any means.

Average age: 32.45

The average age will be brought down a little if Mitchell Johnson plays instead of Nathan Bracken, and will go up if Stuart Clark plays instead of Nathan Bracken. Michael Clarke eventually getting back into the side will also bring down the average age. But it is a very old side.

At least though none of our players have 42 on their birth certificate. Yes Colin Cowdrey was that age when he swapped pruning roses in Kent for facing bouncers from Lillee and Thommo in 1974-75 and he had several geriatic mates on that tour as well. Those were the days when the term Dad's Army first started being applied to cricket due to England's penchant for picking the tried and the true at the expense of promising youngsters. So linda (sic) you better check your own backyard first before declaring our team as the oldest ever.

I did actually say I didnt know the facts but would be surprised if there were as many 35+ players .The team posted above has six come the start of the ashes which is great news for all geriatrics

The team posted above has six come the start of the ashes which is great news for all geriatrics

Thats about as funny as someone who farted at the dinner table.I guess you thought enough time had passed to come back into the cricket forum after Australia added another cup to the already oversized cabinet.Are you going to have another sook and cry this time? Did you enjoy seeing Australia rape all opposition that came before them in the champions trophy? :confused: :eek:

we have had an old team for years, hasn't mattered much!
steve waugh, mark waugh, Lehmann, before that border boon etc etc all played well into their 30's without any dramas, they were replaced by guys in their late 20's/early 30's, just as the current crop will be.
Why would we change tactics now?

Thats about as funny as someone who farted at the dinner table.I guess you thought enough time had passed to come back into the cricket forum after Australia added another cup to the already oversized cabinet.Are you going to have another sook and cry this time? Did you enjoy seeing Australia rape all opposition that came before them in the champions trophy? :confused: :eek:

Well what a lovely chap you are .I thought through your private message and my reply we had sorted things out I see that isnt the case and you find it neccesary to try to insult me again by using rape as an analogy .I said before I hope one of your family or friends never go through the ordeal and horror of being r*ped because it isnt an experience I would wish on anyone .
Obviously what you said in your message and my reply meant nothing so as I said on the previous occasion I wont be replying to any of your posts so save your fingers and dont bother replying to mine

You really should be banned for what you said, there are plenty of other adjectives you could have used, but you've just got to prove how ignorant you are.

good on Marto for setting the record straight - DK should know better than to shoot his mouth in public now that he's the head of WA cricket :rolleyes:

wow, i didnt realise how old the team really is but i guess it doesn't matter much - they are professional athletes playing a non-contact sport and are picked on their performance

why should we impose some arbitrary age limit? let's look at the older players and judge them on merit...

mcgrath is coming back into form after a break from cricket for personal reasons and will be pysically better for it...he has improved with each match and will trouble the poms this summer

warney is a spin bowler so age is largely irrelevant - he's in better shape now than when he was 21 and is bowling well

hayden and langer are entering their twilight and jaques looks ready to go but both the incumbents have done enough to get another crack at the Poms in what could be their final summer in the baggy green

gilly is probably not too far away from hanging them up - he'll leave after the WC you would think...but he deserves his spot as long as he is in good shape and reasonable form

i cant really see anyone in that list who should get axed to bring our average age down :confused:

Well what a lovely chap you are .I thought through your private message and my reply we had sorted things out I see that isnt the case and you find it neccesary to try to insult me again by using rape as an analogy
Reply? To what?.
I said before I hope one of your family or friends never go through the ordeal and horror of being r*ped because it isnt an experience I would wish on anyone .
Obviously what you said in your message and my reply meant nothing so as I said on the previous occasion I wont be replying to any of your posts so save your fingers and dont bother replying to mine
You really need to build a bridge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Martyn lashes DK for his 'ageing team' claims

Remove this Banner Ad

Back