Maryborough Castlemaine District FL (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee we are a sensitive bunch at Avoca. The comment about the finals was tongue in cheek but maybe it sticks given the finals performance since Bellenger has been in charge.

Perhaps you could use one of these things :rolleyes: when making “tongue in cheek” comments in future. Just to avoid any confusion.

Has Bellenger ran over your dog or something Frustrated? That’s a couple of times you have had a shot at him.

Just for the record.

Before Bellenger took on the job at Avoca, their record from 2000 to 2006 was very ordinary.

9th, 8th, 8th, 7th, 9th, 5th, 7th

Since Bellenger. 2nd, 4th, 3rd

I think most clubs would like to finish in the top four consistently.

If you are consistently around the mark, then you must be doing something right.

Perhaps you could use one of these things :rolleyes: when making “tongue in cheek” comments in future. Just to avoid any confusion.

Has Bellenger ran over your dog or something Frustrated? That’s a couple of times you have had a shot at him.

Just for the record.

Before Bellenger took on the job at Avoca, their record from 2000 to 2006 was very ordinary.

9th, 8th, 8th, 7th, 9th, 5th, 7th

Since Bellenger. 2nd, 4th, 3rd

I think most clubs would like to finish in the top four consistently.

If you are consistently around the mark, then you must be doing something right.

Obviously Bellenger has done something right to get them deep into the finals on most occassions, but i believe his argument is that most of these years they have been the team to beat throughout the season only to fall short come september.

From an outsiders perspective they do seem to lack another tall forward but with the inclusion of Hedger they have certainly addressed that issue. The other thing i notice is that they seem to have a fairly strong bodied midfiled that can be caught out against the quicker teams as they lack leg speed to spread from contests, bellenger, field and the two wardlaws are not getting any younger so I believe with a couple more quicker midfield rotational players they may be able to correct this issue around finals time.

This leads me to my next point, I am led to believe that tony's old man does the bench is that correct Puma??, I have heard from a few sources that this has upset a few people as the bench is not heavily rotated and often players will sit there until half time and so on...

With Avoca's recruits I have no doubt they will be right up there again this year but as we have said finals footy is a different game and im sure they will be judged again come that time.

From an outsiders perspective they do seem to lack another tall forward but with the inclusion of Hedger they have certainly addressed that issue. The other thing i notice is that they seem to have a fairly strong bodied midfiled that can be caught out against the quicker teams as they lack leg speed to spread from contests, bellenger, field and the two wardlaws are not getting any younger so I believe with a couple more quicker midfield rotational players they may be able to correct this issue around finals time.

That would be a category that you fit into Sherman!

I think No 41 is available at the red,white and blue?:D

has anyone mentioned on here about talbot's potential recruits for 2010 :confused:

plenty of talk about avoca/dunolly/maryboro clubs but wot about talbot ??

we're just about into the end of january's 3rd week. time is the enemy here, boys. :D

has anyone mentioned on here about talbot's potential recruits for 2010 :confused:

plenty of talk about avoca/dunolly/maryboro clubs but wot about talbot ??

we're just about into the end of january's 3rd week. time is the enemy here, boys. :D

I believe Talbot have recruited a few handy players and Gezza (coach) is looking to change things up a bit which is great to see and will hopefully result in some quicker more exciting football.

When you win an MCDFL flag u can start crowing!

Not crowing rich, i just find it very entertaining you have little pot shots from the other side of the world, with second hand information your only
form of knowledge.
icon7.gif

Obviously Bellenger has done something right to get them deep into the finals on most occassions, but i believe his argument is that most of these years they have been the team to beat throughout the season only to fall short come september.

This leads me to my next point, I am led to believe that tony's old man does the bench is that correct Puma??, I have heard from a few sources that this has upset a few people as the bench is not heavily rotated and often players will sit there until half time and so on...

With Avoca's recruits I have no doubt they will be right up there again this year but as we have said finals footy is a different game and im sure they will be judged again come that time.

Early in the year sherman, tony's dad did the bench.Later in the year we were criticized for rotating to much, so it's hard to please.

The bench is one place i think we need to improve greatly on this year
sherman. Its also one of the places people look to lay blame, so volunteers are hard to come by,thats a coaching staff decision thou.

As for your break down of the team, not far wrong i think sherman.
I believe those are some of the quality's they are recruiting for.

Might see you coaching Talbot in the near future sherman, you seem to have a fair idea. You would have to be an improvement on last years.

Not crowing rich, i just find it very entertaining you have little pot shots from the other side of the world, with second hand information your only
form of knowledge.
icon7.gif

Good fishing out Avoca way! ;)

If all teams got along then it would be boring every Saturday! I'm happy to promote the fact that Talbot dislikes Avoca FC!

Early in the year sherman, tony's dad did the bench.Later in the year we were criticized for rotating to much, so it's hard to please.

The bench is one place i think we need to improve greatly on this year
sherman. Its also one of the places people look to lay blame, so volunteers are hard to come by,thats a coaching staff decision thou.

As for your break down of the team, not far wrong i think sherman.
I believe those are some of the quality's they are recruiting for.

Might see you coaching Talbot in the near future sherman, you seem to have a fair idea. You would have to be an improvement on last years.

Yeah there is no doubt the bench is a hard thing to control and a hard thing for volunteers to do as they do get openly critised by other supporters who are not willling to step up and take on the role..With the way footy is there needs to be rotations but you still need to be able to get those rotations right. Having a non playing coach can go a long way towards fixing this issue but they are not easy to find.

On a another note to Avoca missing a another key big forward, it is worth mentioning that newstead didnt really have a big tall forward last year and actually played with a smaller forward line, it was really there run and carry, ball use and game style that allowed them to overcome this issue. So it does go to show that not all teams need a big forward to succeed.

As for Talbot i think that they will be on the right track this year as geeza has seen and played alot of football and has some great ideas which i believe he will be able to translate into the game plan. I do believe they may need to go through a little rebuilding phase first however, and as for coaching Talbot would love to have a crack at it in the future.

Yeah there is no doubt the bench is a hard thing to control and a hard thing for volunteers to do as they do get openly critised by other supporters who are not willling to step up and take on the role..With the way footy is there needs to be rotations but you still need to be able to get those rotations right. Having a non playing coach can go a long way towards fixing this issue but they are not easy to find.

On a another note to Avoca missing a another key big forward, it is worth mentioning that newstead didnt really have a big tall forward last year and actually played with a smaller forward line, it was really there run and carry, ball use and game style that allowed them to overcome this issue. So it does go to show that not all teams need a big forward to succeed.

As for Talbot i think that they will be on the right track this year as geeza has seen and played alot of football and has some great ideas which i believe he will be able to translate into the game plan. I do believe they may need to go through a little rebuilding phase first however, and as for coaching Talbot would love to have a crack at it in the future.

Very true Sherman, we lacked a tall forward all year and were lucky to go through the finals series undefeated. It was an area of concern all year and it wasn't until half way through the year that we found a forward mix that really worked. We pretty much put our CHF and FF on the half back line as they are great runners and complimented our midfield in pumping it into the forward line.

If you ask most people from Newstead what we need as a football team the answer will still be a quality tall forward though. Congratulations to Avoca on signing Hedger this will add great flexibility to their forward line but more importantly to their midfield.

I don't know what you think Sherman, in my exp playing against Avoca they had a fantastic midfield but they never had a big win in center clearances. If Hedger is able to give their midfield first use of the footy more often than not, I would play him in the ruck and then push forward as there would not be many ruckmen in the league who are able to keep up with him.

Good luck with your coaching aspirations in the future :thumbsu:

Very true Sherman, we lacked a tall forward all year and were lucky to go through the finals series undefeated. It was an area of concern all year and it wasn't until half way through the year that we found a forward mix that really worked. We pretty much put our CHF and FF on the half back line as they are great runners and complimented our midfield in pumping it into the forward line.

Not too sure it was a great concern, Newstead had 8 players kick 15 goals or more for the season - So it takes a bit of the heat out of the need for one key forward (ala Maldon) when you have midfielders chiming in weekly in support while the forwards took it in turns to fire!

Interested to see the Newstead boys saying Matt Culvenor is staying.

I believe the man himself haunts this forum so he might be able to clear that up?

Talking to a Castlemaine ass. coach and he said that Matt told the Coach and Captain he was coming in.

I am also told that it is certain Danny Christmas is staying at Castlemaine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe the man himself haunts this forum so he might be able to clear that up?

Talking to a Castlemaine ass. coach and he said that Matt told the Coach and Captain he was coming in.

Maniemen, you love to get on here and try and stir the pot with your "lesserleagued" rivals don't you??

Daniel Christmas got an offer ($$$) that he could not refuse, and noone out at Newstead could blame him. He never told them he was a definate, just that he would talk to the club which he did openly. Fingers crossed he decides to finish up out at the Stead and help them to a flag or two in the years to come

As for young Matthew, he trained at Castlemaine before Newstead started but has frequented Newstead's since. He loves the club and has said he is staying so a lot of people would be miffed if he left... I'm not sure he would want to go in there after some of the things coming out of the Castlemaine players camp in relation to what the club offered him to play - some pretty envious and cranky boys!

If you ask most people from Newstead what we need as a football team the answer will still be a quality tall forward though. Congratulations to Avoca on signing Hedger this will add great flexibility to their forward line but more importantly to their midfield.

I don't know what you think Sherman, in my exp playing against Avoca they had a fantastic midfield but they never had a big win in center clearances. If Hedger is able to give their midfield first use of the footy more often than not, I would play him in the ruck and then push forward as there would not be many ruckmen in the league who are able to keep up with him.

Good luck with your coaching aspirations in the future :thumbsu:

There is no doubt they have a talented midfield, from my experience when we played them yes we were able to get on top of them at times due to tim brights tap work but they were also able to get on top of us when they bulked up there mid field, on a few notable occassions pig ross came in and really shook things up, which resulted in them coming from behind in a few games.

IMO i believe Avoca do have a good midfiled who can win the clearences due to there strong bodies but as previously stated the game doesnt stop there and it is there leg speed across the ground that is the issue. If you can win enough footy against them and expose them on the counter attack that is where you will hurt them as newstead and the likes showed. Bellenger can only kick the ball 30 odd metres these days and doesnt get far out of the square so smart teams wil expose the likes of this, great player though.

I used the same argument with Oxley too, fantastic player, great footballer and amazing around stopppages but still he is old and slow, yes he knows how to position himself around the ground, but when we played them with a smaller ruckmen who could run he was best on for us as we used him as much as we could which set up numerous plays. Too often teams allow him to dictate terms and kick it towards him, im sure there are plenty of ruckmen out there who would be able to out run the big fella.

Maniemen, you love to get on here and try and stir the pot with your "lesserleagued" rivals don't you??

Daniel Christmas got an offer ($$$) that he could not refuse, and noone out at Newstead could blame him. He never told them he was a definate, just that he would talk to the club which he did openly. Fingers crossed he decides to finish up out at the Stead and help them to a flag or two in the years to come

As for young Matthew, he trained at Castlemaine before Newstead started but has frequented Newstead's since. He loves the club and has said he is staying so a lot of people would be miffed if he left... I'm not sure he would want to go in there after some of the things coming out of the Castlemaine players camp in relation to what the club offered him to play - some pretty envious and cranky boys!

Lesser leagued is your words, not mine, and I am only sharing what I hear, not trying to stir the pot.

I think you will find the $$$ for Christmas came about after an offer from Kyneton that he would have taken. I don't think loyalty is his strong suit.

Not sure about the $ offered to Culvenor but looking at Castlemaine's list there would be plenty of money left to go to anyone half decent as the blokes there would not be worth much at this stage!

Old news that Danny resigned at the Maine for big bucks. Matt himself has said to Newstead he is staying so i believe that would count for more than old Franky,s heresay.

Lads i've just moved to castlemaine, im trying to find a club. I played with Skipton last year in the premiership side.
Would love to stay but the travel is to far, can anyone help?

hey mate i would suggest the newstead football club, its a great club and excelent family club and would love any1 to come out, wouldnt waste your time with any1 in castlemaine and dare say that you would no a few blokes from there also

Dunno why anyone bothers to ask on a forum which is a good club to go to because you are going to get a responce from every poster on here saying their club is the best.

Not hard to look up and find out what clubs are about!

Dunno why anyone bothers to ask on a forum which is a good club to go to because you are going to get a responce from every poster on here saying their club is the best.

My thoughts exactly! And if you're from Skipton, one would think you'd have a fair idea about your neighbouring league!

u johnnie
r u fair dinkum about the names of the tiger cubbies appended at end of ur posts

old tiger legend captain blood dyer would have called them 'good, ordinary players' at best --- very best, and all

Maybe he is trying to generate some interest in himself to grab a few $$$...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad