Mason Cox...showing some promise

Remove this Banner Ad

I would refrain, but he in particular really struck me as a shit bloke.
Didn't he make some remarks that he could have been one of the greatest players in the game but Collingwood wouldn't give him a proper run at it, there was more to it than that, he carried on like a right princess.

This after he had tried and failed to get on Hawthorns list, no disparaging remarks made about them though :p

American athletes can have a brashness, cockiness to them, but I think coming to a foreign sport in a foreign country it requires a little dialling down of the ego, and an emphasis on hard work, staying humble and just being a sponge.

Fortunately for us Mason Cox seems to be almost the opposite of Shame Mac :thumbsu:

I watched most of the VFL game and I was a little underwelmed by Mason's impact. He played very well for his limited amount of experience but I wouldnt have placed him as our 3rd or 4th best player. I just hope this guy is given some time before he starts getting hyped...

One thing that i did notice is that he's quick to step around the opposing ruckman in ruck contests. He shows his agility here. On the other hand, I'm still a little puzzled at his awkwardness around the contest. With such good sprint times, I was expecting to see someone who looks a bit more athletic, but he has a little of that robbie warnock/matthew burton "big man" look about him. And yet, as I said, he appears to be light on his feet in the actual contests.

In contrast, Corey Gault moves like someone who is 190cm. Unfortunately,he's still not quite there when it comes to using that height.

I watched most of the VFL game and I was a little underwelmed by Mason's impact. He played very well for his limited amount of experience but I wouldnt have placed him as our 3rd or 4th best player. I just hope this guy is given some time before he starts getting hyped...

One thing that i did notice is that he's quick to step around the opposing ruckman in ruck contests. He shows his agility here.

I watched it too and felt much the same. One thing I do have to say is that he doesn't look out of place. Ruckmen in general can be hard to evaluate for their impact on the game. He makes a contest, taps the ball to advantage on most
occasions. I like what I see so far

Is Witts doing anything more than him at the moment?

Cox has more goals for the year and more hitouts (I think), and it's not like Witts excels around the ground.

Is Witts doing anything more than him at the moment?

Cox has more goals for the year and more hitouts (I think), and it's not like Witts excels around the ground.

I'm not sure if we're throwing money at either player at the moment, so I dont see a reason to get impatient.

Cox is 25.. didn't realise how old he was.. isnt that a problem.. by the looks of things he might be good to go by 30.

At his current rate of improvement Cox could be good to go next year.:D He wont be hanging around for two or three years in the VFL, as happened with Shae.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes and he's not been banged up by years of footy so even if he's good enough to play in another couple of years at age 27 or so, we may still get 5 or 6 years out of him.

It would be an amazing success story.

Gotta give it to some of those Americans though. The level of self-belief some of their sportsmen have surely helps propel them

Sometimes strikes me as a false sense of bravado in some though. Like they have this enormous confidence but it's pretty brittle and past a certain point it will snap rather than be resilient.

Don't want to compare him to Jimmy Stynes but reckon he is the closes thing to compare to, I remember how much of a spud JS looked when he first began, in fact Cox looks to be more advanced. Cox is on 200k + a range rover with weekly allowance.

why do we need this "yank? mason coxy cox, when we already have Jarrod Witta Witts??????????//
Porque+no+los+dos+_05696636bb627d53eabcf3db5452a54a.png

why do we need this "yank? mason coxy cox, when we already have Jarrod Witta Witts??????????//

because sometimes footballers have injuries - if you do a search on the collingwood site, you will see an example from a couple of years ago when we had an injury.

It's a shame we didn't get him when he was younger, but I reckon he will definitely be AFL standard in 1-2 years and be great depth at worst... and for a cat b rookie that's a great result.

We won’t be getting any young kids as all good Athletes would go to College 1st

worst case if we end up with 3 quality rucks - Grundy, Witts & Cox we can trade for something else we need. Sometimes you take what you can get, develop them to their potential and if you end up with a surplus - trade.

if he keeps the rate of progress up he has produced thus far , I think he may play a bit of seniors next year.
Depending how we placed towards end of this season they may give him a game for experience and to rest BG or JW

Remove this Banner Ad

Mason Cox...showing some promise

Remove this Banner Ad

Back