Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Harry Taylor took an easy one on him tonight but i agree he mostly breaks even.

and how many key forwards are out marked without making a contest regularly?

This is the worst stat in football oh he halved the contest....yeah great given that there are 3 Geelong players ready for it.

How often do we benefit from this halved contest? I'd suggest more opposition rebounds then us creating scoring opportunities from it. And if its to reset and give a throw up then that also helps the defensive team more as they can get numbers back.

Ridiculous deflection stat.

Poor delivery is gonna make it hard for any forward no matter what, our efficiency with entries inside 50 was atrocious. Mason was decent first half but had a few poor efforts during the second, which the whole team was guilty of.

A few weeks behind most clubs and the new rule upfront is going to take a little time to adjust, the inclusions of Elliot/ Beams on occasion up forward will also take a little time to gel. Team needs to spend some time on goal kicking after tonight's showing.

Average in average playing conditions. I actually thought his field kicking was good last night and that forward fifty tackle excellent! In the team for his aerial presence which on a difficult night was bellow par.

One thing I’ve noticed is he now clunks the ball.
As long as it’s in the back 50.
Doesn’t have the same confidence to mark up forward for some reason.
In the back 50 Cox isn’t being defended by an opponent meaning he can more easily get a clean run at the footy. Up forward he’s often held, blocked or being checked by 2-3 opponents.

Better than his round 1 last year. Long way off his best, but still contributed. That’s what we need when he has a quieter one.
I thought he was ok in the ruck too.

Its amazing that it takes 1 GOOD game to hail him Carey.

His poor games are far, far more often then his good games.

He needs to play with more aggression don't give up his position so easily, smash his knee in the player who drops in front instead of pulling up and not making contact (this deters them or at worst wears them down), make aggressive hard leads more often (less arm waving to kick on his head).

His biggest saving grace was the midfields delivery was abysmal all of them, but he needs to watch how elliott attacks EVERY contest and try his best to replicate. INTENSITY.

Oh dear lord. So much wrong with this.

Please don’t expect Elliott’s capabilities on a plus 2 metre American.

You said it yourself , the midfield delivery was poor. You can’t make strawberry jam out of pig shit. De Goey could do nothing with it , don’t expect Cox to perform miracles.

No ones giving Cox a free ride but you need to understand his role with in the team. Going off your posts , you clearly don’t. His job has is to be a foil and draw a few defenders. When this happens he either needs to knock the ball down or the kicker needs to hit up the other forwards now with less pressure.

Cox was far from our biggest issue last night.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oh dear lord. So much wrong with this.

Please don’t expect Elliott’s capabilities on a plus 2 metre American.

You said it yourself , the midfield delivery was poor. You can’t make strawberry jam out of pig shit. De Goey could do nothing with it , don’t expect Cox to perform miracles.

No ones giving Cox a free ride but you need to understand his role with in the team. Going off your posts , you clearly don’t. His job has is to be a foil and draw a few defenders. When this happens he either needs to knock the ball down or the kicker needs to hit up the other forwards now with less pressure.

Cox was far from our biggest issue last night.

Oh dear lord.:rolleyes:

I expect Elliott's intensity at the ball and man NOT his capabilities etc.

Yes a 211cm foil lamp post, who is only expected to halve contests, hmmm sure thats his only expectation and role...

Didn't look like a foil in the prelim did he? or in sporadic other games he was switched on for during the year...

Its the biggest wank term in footy "oh hes only there drawing a defender and to halve the contest"...which the other team set up for, they are the ones who have numbers at the fall and often take the ball down the other end from it.
If the ball does get held up and result in a ball up, they then have ample time to set up the defensive zone in our f50. More often then not it is a disadvantage to have a guy who RARELy marks the ball when we go through him so much. Late in the game there was a dump long bomb where the kick out went down the guts to him and I knew straight away he'd be outmarked and the ended up sending it back in for their last point.

It is a wank term created to try stop the pressure and expectation, sheep use it after hearing bucks say it last year when people wanted mason out after weeks of poor form.

There are a lot more talented players who could play that role of "halving a contest" or "bring the ball to ground" then just him and half these guys dont even get looked at for AFL.

He needs to improve that simple.

Last edited:
Coxy needs to harden up. Looked pretty limp at times on Friday.

Sure, he wasn’t getting great service, but as a the biggest member of our team needs to provide more presence down foward and and in the middle.

Needs to rewatch the Richmond games. He gave their backs an a absoulte pounding.... he exploded that night. This type of output needs to become more frequent for the big man.

Would love to see Moore and cox working in the front half together more too. Would provide a great tag team down there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh dear lord.:rolleyes:

I expect Elliott's intensity at the ball and man NOT his capabilities etc.

Yes a 211cm foil lamp post, who is only expected to halve contests, hmmm sure thats his only expectation and role...

Didn't look like a foil in the prelim did he? or in sporadic other games he was switched on for during the year...

Its the biggest wank term in footy oh hes only there to drawing a defender and to halve the contest...which the other team set up for, they are the ones who have numbers at the fall and often take the ball down the other end from it.
If the ball does get held up and result in a ball up, they then have ample time to set up the defensive zone in our f50. More often then not it is a disadvantage to have a guy who RARELy marks the ball when we go through him so much. Late in the game there was a dump long bomb where the kick out went down the guts to him and I knew straight away he'd be outmarked and the ended up sending it back in for their last point.

It is a wank term created to try stop the pressure and expectation, sheep use it after hearing bucks say it last year when people wanted mason out after weeks of poor form.

There are a lot more talented players who could play that role of "halving a contest" or "bring the ball to ground" then just him and half these guys dont even get looked at for AFL.

He needs to improve that simple.

Going from your forward assessment you’d be a Cloke fan. Got it

Name the lot more talented players who could play that role and aren’t on an AFL list. Must be a secret league somewhere with how certain you are there are better options.

It’s hardly a wank term when the success of our season was based on that set up. Why do you think we had 4 small forwards with 30 plus goals ? Just pure luck ?

It’s up to those small forwards to crumb off him. More importantly the delivery needs to be better. It’s dumb footy to bomb it on his head when it’s not the right option. To me he should be playing more out of the square and leading 20-35 meters out. Not 40-55 where the ball will slingshot back if he can’t halve the contest

Going from your forward assessment you’d be a Cloke fan. Got it

Name the lot more talented players who could play that role and aren’t on an AFL list. Must be a secret league somewhere with how certain you are there are better options.

It’s hardly a wank term when the success of our season was based on that set up. Why do you think we had 4 small forwards with 30 plus goals ? Just pure luck ?

It’s up to those small forwards to crumb off him. More importantly the delivery needs to be better. It’s dumb footy to bomb it on his head when it’s not the right option. To me he should be playing more out of the square and leading 20-35 meters out. Not 40-55 where the ball will slingshot back if he can’t halve the contest

Mate I could perform that role and I haven't played in years...making a contest is NOT hard, plenty of VFL types could perform such a simple role hell Mihochek does just that he was a VFL player.

Our smalls got goals from mainly LEAD up at the ball carrier or over the back into space, roving Masons "halving the contests" work was not a major player in their 30 goal seasons. We could of substituted him for Moore and they still would of had those tallies.

You got it right about midfield choice of target and using those smalls more but it isn't always possible especially how Geelong had structured up in defence leaving little room for them, needed more from our bigs.

He needs to harderen up and actually provide a contest. Tall options in our front half are our Achilles heal

Outside of when he run and jumps he does not offer much more.

Uselss when they stop his Run at the Ball

Love to get his parents over

Grows another leg

Did some great work but didn't dominate

Not a great night for any big man aerially

But night footy never seems to assist those players

Back to being what he was in most games last year...useless as **** on a bull.

I was hoping for consistency improvement this being his 3rd year, was hoping to see better body strength and body work given 3 AFL preseasons.

None of his game has improved going off tonight.

When he is off like tonight he is a liability I'd rather play a 195cm VFL player then him.

Wasn't as bad as you suggest. On par with his averages of 2018 which given our transition issues is probably better than we could have hoped.

and how many key forwards are out marked without making a contest regularly?

This is the worst stat in football oh he halved the contest....yeah great given that there are 3 Geelong players ready for it.

How often do we benefit from this halved contest? I'd suggest more opposition rebounds then us creating scoring opportunities from it. And if its to reset and give a throw up then that also helps the defensive team more as they can get numbers back.

Ridiculous deflection stat.

It isn't Cox's fault that he often ends up 1-3 or that his team mates kick it to him in those situations. Where are the opponents of the spares manning Cox? What are they doing to take advantage of their opponent sagging off? Why aren't they presenting as an alternate target? Why aren't they impacting at the foot of the contest to take advantage of the halved contest?

Last edited:
In the back 50 Cox isn’t being defended by an opponent meaning he can more easily get a clean run at the footy. Up forward he’s often held, blocked or being checked by 2-3 opponents.
So I would expect plenty of frees. Which early on Friday night did come.
His reach is almost 3 metres, before leaping. He simply has to draw more frees in the forward line.
Unfortunately the opposition have realised he is easily pushed off the ball, in flight or on the ground.
Needs to learn to hold his position up forward.

He does attract a crowd and usually brings the ball to ground for others to swoop in on and last year that was a big part of what he offered. His long leads to release the ball out of our defensive 50 was also a feature and if he can get on a lead in front of goal he is hard to stop. However, too many times against Geelong I saw the long bomb to his general direction in hope and that is a trick that never really works.

It isn't Cox's fault that he often ends up 1-3 or that his team mates kick it to him in those situations. Where are the opponents of the spares manning Cox? What are they doing to take advantage of their opponent sagging off? Why aren't they presenting as an alternate target? Why aren't they impacting at the foot of the contest to take advantage of the halved contest?
Footballers need to be taught these things.
By the coach.
Wait........... ummm.......yeah..there’s the issue.

night footy never seems to assist those players

This is one thing that I find strange about footy clubs in this era of full time professional footballers. They always train at the same time of the day, which isn't even the time that any games are played. Why don't they do more evening training sessions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Back