Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Oscar McInerney, who is a bog average, middle of the road ruck, humiliated both of them and basically turned the game for Brisbane earlier in the year. I don’t think you can risk Cameron going down and having to rely on those two, particularly when their upside on Cox as forwards is insubstantial as far as I’m concerned.

Our ruck that night was the worst I have ever seen, and I remember our mid 2000’s ruck offerings.
Oscar is better than average, He has influenced a number of games up at the GABBA.

Cox re-signs for 2 more years.
It's a smart move. Barring injuries, he will still be the main backup next year then facilitating the transition to Steene. From 2025 he could then be kept as depth and an on-field coach for the VFL team or work in the likes of player development or in a media role for the club where he is really good value.

It's a smart move. Barring injuries, he will still be the main backup next year then facilitating the transition to Steene. From 2025 he could then be kept as depth and an on-field coach for the VFL team or work in the likes of player development or in a media role for the club where he is really good value.
I thought it was just a facetious comment. Has he genuinely been resigned? I saw a piece about Noble, McCeery and Ryan re-signing but no mention of Coxy.

People have been trying to kill him off for years especially that cretin David King, luckily Fly knows his stuff
King has some interesting insights at times but his obsession with Cox is really anoying. Even when he was playing reasonably well he was asking if he is in our best 23. The simple answer is "Yes, David."

I thought it was just a facetious comment. Has he genuinely been resigned? I saw a piece about Noble, McCeery and Ryan re-signing but no mention of Coxy.
The Age:

Collingwood’s out-of-contract big man Mason Cox has signed a new two-year deal, while the Magpies are close to locking away Josh Daicos on long-term contract.

The 32-year-old ruckman from Texas has committed to a new two-year deal after being backed in as the second ruck and forward by coach Craig McRae.

King has some interesting insights at times but his obsession with Cox is really anoying. Even when he was playing reasonably well he was asking if he is in our best 23. The simple answer is "Yes, David."
Some people just really hate Cox and he is one of them

Not sure why, what's not to love about the big fella? 😄

(Log in to remove this ad.)

King spot on the money once again.

The Mason Cox show has indeed been about Seinfeld last couple of weeks.

Surely they can't carry a bloke into finals who spends 50% of the time on the bench, with rest of the time flailing around at marking contests, missing goals for about 4 or 5 touches....horribly out of form is Cox

Surely they can't carry a bloke into finals who spends 50% of the time on the bench, with rest of the time flailing around at marking contests, missing goals for about 4 or 5 touches....horribly out of form is Cox
He turned the tide against Adelaide just four weeks ago. He has done it too often not to be given leeway when we are winning as we know he will do it again.
With some rare exceptions, almost our entire team has had players going through rough form patches. People were questioning Beau's presence. Crispy had a bad trot a few weeks back as has Adams. Bobby Hill was copping heat on this forum for having no impact and last year Checkers was in the gun for not hitting the scoreboard for a long stretch. McStay was being questioned after his first three games and there are many who have wanted WHE out all year. When you have a winning team the boys support each other through the inevitable quiet patches knowing they will regain what made them a key component. I think it's this faith in our boys that makes them such a tight group who keep finding a way to win. If players are axed at the first hint of a bad trot they lose confidence and feel the pressure all the more if they return.

If Jeremy Cameron was called Joe Brown based on his last 7 games prior to his game at the GABBA people would have been calling for his head. One goal a week for 7 weeks from your highly paid superstar forward is not a good output. That's Mason Cox standard and he also rucks. But they know what he can do and so they persevere.

Last edited:
How'd Cameron go? Lycett didn't look fully fit, struggled. Cameron comfortably the best ruck.

Lycett’s fitness isn’t a consideration once he runs out, Port named him, he was fit.

Cameron was the best ruck, but the discussion is about Cox’s role as a 2nd ruck. Cox had Lycett (Ports No1 ruck) comfortably covered in terms of hitout win %, disposals and marks, off about a 3rd less TOG. He was poor beyond the ruck contests but I’m a little puzzled by the “he was thrown around” element. He’s always been thrown around. The previous week he carried our rucks in Cameron’s absence and did a good job playing 81 TOG%. His form hasn’t been as bad as some suggest.

King talks an enormous game. Fancies himself as a tactical genius with his war room schtik. But aside from a sting as an assistant at Richmond, has largely worked as a commentator for Fox Footy or SEN.

But I guess, like Cornes, it makes sense. Easy to make big calls when you don't have to actually deliver. Neither of them would last as coaches.

I'm not sure where you guys are getting this 50% time on the bench stat from?
Obviously the Port game was wet so not surprisingly it didn't suit the big fella. But the previous 5 weeks he was on ground for roughly 75% of the time.
Happy to give him another 2 years. That will probably see him out at 34. Probably get close to 150 games which is not a bad effort.
He's in our best 22. He's a proven match winner. He's not getting dropped for Frampton or AJ.

Very comfortable giving Cox two years, especially if it’s the lower cost per annum option.

As for Josh, well 6 years is a long time but it’s also insurance against Nick leaving to an extent, n’est-ce pas?

Very comfortable giving Cox two years, especially if it’s the lower cost per annum option.

As for Josh, well 6 years is a long time but it’s also insurance against Nick leaving to an extent, n’est-ce pas?
The thing about Cox - and a lot of the lumbering type rucks - is that, injuries notwithstanding, they aren't likely to experience a massive decrease in their ability to perform across their early-mid 30s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Back