Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Think it's very underestimated just how much we miss Cox.

He went down in the Freo game - we were playing alright footy from round 3 (Brisbane at the Gabba) until then. No losses. We dropped off in that last quarter to allow a draw.

People wanted him dropped. Be careful what you wish for!!

The man is a decent ruckman - I prefer him to Cameron as #1

He draws attention from opposition - they double team him, meaning his teammates are freed up.
If you don't give him attention, he himself becomes dangerous - clunking marks and kicking goals! But that is rarely allowed to happen. Teams do give him plenty of attention. Either way, we win!

When he's out there, our structure is correct. We get to play others in their correct positions.

Cameron can't do enough ruck work alone. Cameron is dangerous as a target around the ground when Cox frees him up too.

Cox is one of our least replaceable players. There is no like for like for a 211cm tall bloke.

Sounds like he's a chance against Hawthorn, but otherwise back for Carlton. He's not the most fit at the best of times, so expect he'll be underdone.

Last edited:
Cornes always undervalues Cox focusing on his possession count, but Cox brings a lot of energy to the game and is also probably the best centre bounce ruckman in the league(though he's weaker around the ground and doesn't have a great tank).

Cornes always undervalues Cox focusing on his possession count, but Cox brings a lot of energy to the game and is also probably the best centre bounce ruckman in the league(though he's weaker around the ground and doesn't have a great tank).
Absolutely centre bounces should be his over Darcy.
We did this in finals. Worked out pretty nicely. Especially that tap to Nick after the 6-6-6 warning in the granny!

Absolutely centre bounces should be his over Darcy.
We did this in finals. Worked out pretty nicely. Especially that tap to Nick after the 6-6-6 warning in the granny!
I love Big Mase, but if you are going to highlight his play late in the GF, he gave away the free that led to the Daniher goal and made an absolute meal of the final centre bounce after getting two hands on it.

I love Big Mase, but if you are going to highlight his play late in the GF, he gave away the free that led to the Daniher goal and made an absolute meal of the final centre bounce after getting two hands on it.
What’s the point of bringing that up. We won didn’t we?

I’m highlighting one very special particular tap we all know well. Simple.

And the fact we changed and went with him as out no 1 after a form slump late in the season.

What’s the point of bringing that up. We won didn’t we?

I’m highlighting one very special particular tap we all know well. Simple.

And the fact we changed and went with him as out no 1 after a form slump late in the season.
Because you were making the assertion that he is a superior CB ruckman to Darcy. You raised his late GF performance as evidence, I provided a counter to provide some balance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think it's very underestimated just how much we miss Cox.

He went down in the Freo game - we were playing alright footy from round 3 (Brisbane at the Gabba) until then. No losses. We dropped off in that last quarter to allow a draw.

People wanted him dropped. Be careful what you wish for!!

The man is a decent ruckman - I prefer him to Cameron as #1

He draws attention from opposition - they double team him, meaning his teammates are freed up.
If you don't give him attention, he himself becomes dangerous - clunking marks and kicking goals! But that is rarely allowed to happen. Teams do give him plenty of attention. Either way, we win!

When he's out there, our structure is correct. We get to play others in their correct positions.

Cameron can't do enough ruck work alone. Cameron is dangerous as a target around the ground when Cox frees him up too.

Cox is one of our least replaceable players. There is no like for like for a 211cm tall bloke.

Sounds like he's a chance against Hawthorn, but otherwise back for Carlton. He's not the most fit at the best of times, so expect he'll be underdone.
Spot on. Cornes is a moron. The comments on the Footy Classified clip are insane. The usual "Cox is a spud!" drivel they've been spewing for a decade now. When do they start feeling embarrassed?

I think he does some excellent work around the ground. His contested marks on the wing and in defense are a standout feature of his game.

I think he does some excellent work around the ground. His contested marks on the wing and in defense are a standout feature of his game.
I meant his ruckwork around the ground where his athleticism is negated by the body wrestling style of round the ground ruckwork. Hi big marks and goals are how he brings energy though, for the crowd at least.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back