Remove this Banner Ad

mitchzz

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Not the forward line, just when I thought he had figured it out he puts him back in the fowardline and takes him completely out of the game. We could have used his in and under toughness alot more.

just guessing here, but maybe hes not up to a full game in the centre yet. he is still pretty small.

He's getting molded into Cousins. Midfielder who swings down the forward line and kicks a few goals. I'm liking Masten, I think we all need to be patient with him; he's gonna be a really good player in years to come.

Atleast use him like they did the last two weeks. Use him in the middle atleast he's jumping in for the ball with Fletcher standing outside waiting for the cheap disposal.

Everyone is getting ahead of themselves, as good as our younger players are they're not superstars yet. We kinda expect too much of them to fill the gaps of our superstars who have left. It's really up to our senior players to step up, and protect our younger players until they're mature enough to hold their own.

just guessing here, but maybe hes not up to a full game in the centre yet. he is still pretty small.

thats what I was thinking - same with McNamara - just not big and fit enough to match it with guys like Stevens, Judd, Carazzo and Scotland who have had many seasons more.

Really impressed with Masten and McNamara today. Both were hard at it and put their bodies on the line. Masten is just so clean, warms the heart to watch on a cold, bleak night like tonight!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Masten has always been known as the happy footballer...

mastenfr6.png

thats what I was thinking - same with McNamara - just not big and fit enough to match it with guys like Stevens, Judd, Carazzo and Scotland who have had many seasons more.

Bit disappointed with McNamara, high expectations for him. Doesn't seem to be either a clearance king or an outside jet and his disposal is only just OK.

On 6pr after the game they interviewed Masten and he was asked by Rob Wiley how he was finding the AFL. Masten said his body was very sore because not only was the game faster than the WAFL you get hit much harder than in the WAFL. Especially around stoppages.

This is why Woosha is only playing him in bursts through the middle because he's only an 18yr and his body just can't stand up to a week in week out midfield role.

Bit disappointed with McNamara, high expectations for him. Doesn't seem to be either a clearance king or an outside jet and his disposal is only just OK.

Well I remember having to hear about McNamara on here from everyone saying he is the next Kerr - tough in and under getting it out etc.

I havent really seen anything either to back that up.

Dunno if he is hesitating coz the bodies are bigger etc?

maybe WAFL not up to standard?

I dunno but yeah he cant seem to find a place at all - A little worrying - he played a couple of ok games late last year but this has done nothing.

LTAM you were spot on. Quick clean hands in traffic and a nice kick.:thumbsu:

But surely he can't get the muscle Cuzzy had.:p

Can you remember what Cuz looked like in his first few seasons. He certainly did not look like he did in that picture. It wasn't until the 2000 pre-season that Cuz REALLY muscled up - I remember Malthouse (when he had left us) raising a few queries about Cousins' physique back then, and that was Cousins 5th AFL season. Give Masten some time to develop. He looks equally as impressive as Cuz and Kerr did in their first 4-5 games.

Compare the use of Masten to the use of our recent gun midfielders in their first season:

1996 Cousins. Almost exclusively a FP.
2001 Kerr. Plenty of time on the bench.
2002 Judd. Ditto Kerr.

We must be careful with young bodies.

I thought ebert did some good things in the 3rd quarter. Some nice contested positions and a few great clearances.

I think Ebert should be played onthe half foward flank for th rest of the year. He's a good kick, mark and has great composure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Masten plays in the midfield Woosha...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back