Preview Match Preview: Sydney Swans v Hawthorn Hawks - Qualifying Final 1 - Friday September 6 @ 19:50, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhysswans13

Team Captain
Sep 3, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Hey all it's first time doing this and I hope you enjoy the match preview.

Finally finals football has arrived in 2013 and what better way to kick off the festivities then with a replay of last years grand final in a match which pitches 2013 minor premiers Hawthorn hosting the reigning premier Sydney in the first qualifying final at the MCG on Friday night.

2013 Home and Away Recent History (Sydney vs Hawthorn)

Round 23 @ ANZ: Sydney 16.4.100 lost to Hawthorn 17.10.112

Round 7 @ MCG: Sydney 12.10.82 lost to Hawthorn 18.11.119

Recent Finals History (Sydney vs Hawthorn)

Grand Final 2012 @ MCG: Sydney 14.7.91 defeated Hawthorn 11.15.81

Semi Final 2 2011 @ MCG: Sydney 13.8.86 lost to Hawthorn 19.8.122

Weather Forecast

Should be a perfect spring night in Melbourne for footy with overcast conditions on temperatures around the 21 degree Celsius mark. No rain or wind is predicted for Friday night.

3 Players to Watch Sydney

Kurt Tippett: Having already kicked 33 goals this year which is more than any other Swan, it is a scary prospect for any team considering he only made his debut in round 13 against Port Adelaide. He is averaging 3.3 per game and if he can bring his average or better to Friday's match then Sydney's forward line will be dangerous.

Mike Pyke: Another Sydney big man who has made astonishing improvements in his career over the past two years. Averaging 22 hit outs per match and also chiming in with 26 goals this season he not only provides solid ruck work around the ground but as another handy forward target. He is also second in the league for contested marks with 48 for the year. If he fires then things will look bright for the Swans.

Ted Richards: The ever reliable Ted Richards will need to hold fort on Friday night. With Hawthorn forward targets such as Hale and Roughead looming the equation is simple. Stop them and limit the Hawks scoring ability up forward.

3 Players to Watch Hawthorn

Jarryd Roughead: The 2013 Coleman medallist for 2013 leads the way with 68 goals for the season. He seems to always spell trouble for the Swans kicking 4 goals in each of his two meetings against the Swans this year. If he fires then the result will look good for Hawthorn.

Paul Puopolo: The defensive small forward is one of the more underrated player in the Hawks line up. His tackling pressure and ability to break clear from the pack will give the Swans midfield a hard time.

David Hale: Another solid hawks ruckman averaging 17 hit outs per match in 2013. He can also provide a solid target up forward for the Hawks and the Swans tall men will want to quell his influence if they are any chance.

Did You Know

1) The Swans are preparing for their fourth straight finals appearance and 10th from the past 11 seasons. That effort betters any previous South Melbourne/Sydney side of past eras.

2) The suspended Lance "Buddy" Franklin has averaged 3.2 goals per game in 2013 which is better than any other Hawk. Will his absence prove the difference ?

The Verdict

Sydney has struggled against the other top four sides this season losing twice to Geelong and twice to Hawthorn with a Draw with the Dockers in between. Hawthorn has had a slightly better record against the top sides this year with two wins against the Swans and once against the Dockers with two narrow losses to Geelong. Last weeks finals rehearsal between these tow sides showed enough to say the Swans will offer a much improved performance against the minor premiers. If the Swans can quell the Hawks big men and offer clean hands and running through their midfield and also clean delivery into their forward line then Sydney might just have the answers. The expectation is with Hawthorn to win but we all know to well not to write off the Sydney Swans come September. Sydney by 24 points

Nice Writeup, i have a really good feeling about this game and the big carrot on a stick here is the fact that we win and then geelong win, geelong v hawthorn to make the grand final would be a dream for us!!!

I too am enjoying the positive preview, and I'm of the view that our ins are better than theirs. I don't want to spark conspiracy theories, but I'm 99% sure we tanked that last quarter on Friday.

Hawthorn at the MCG holds no fears for us.

Nice preview there mate and agreed with all other posters, its nice to have a positive preview...
Swans by 10points

They would smash eachother in the prelim before facing us - if my year 10 english comprehension lessons have taught me anything.
Sorry bad engrish there :p, I meant if we win and Geelong win then Hawks have to play geelong to get in the grand final and they smash each other would be a dream result for us!!, So lets go swannies this week and make it happen!

Great preview, definitely loving the positivity! I have a really good feeling about Friday night's game. Go Swannies!

Sorry bad engrish there :p, I meant if we win and Geelong win then Hawks have to play geelong to get in the grand final and they smash each other would be a dream result for us!!, So lets go swannies this week and make it happen!

I got what you meant :)

One of the better previews we have had posted on this board, Well Done!!!

Should be a great match and looking forward to it.

Starting to think that using ROK to follow Hodge may be a good idea, one of the few midfielders in the competition that should be able to keep up with him in both strength and endurance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ROK's recent history on Sam Mitchell is too good to **** with. Mitchell got away at crucial times last week but I'd back ROK again.

McGlynn wil surely go to Smith again and so I'd put Bird on Hodge and try and get Hodge caught out going forward. Pull him out of the play as much as possible. Easier said than done of course. Hodge is an expert at this caper. Only other option is Jude.

If Puopolo gets 50 free kicks I'll throw a brick at the TV ;)

ROK's recent history on Sam Mitchell is too good to **** with. Mitchell got away at crucial times last week but I'd back ROK again.

McGlynn wil surely go to Smith again and so I'd put Bird on Hodge and try and get Hodge caught out going forward. Pull him out of the play as much as possible. Easier said than done of course. Hodge is an expert at this caper. Only other option is Jude.

I don't want to take ROK away from Mitchell but Hodge was instrumental in getting them back in the game last weekend...

Also not sure if Bird or Bolton could keep up with Hodge. .. and if we let them stay deep the Hawks will just change the match ups around...

Could we possibly use Parker as a defensive forward on hodge?

I'd like parker as a defensive forward but he plays well as an inside mid. Ben Mcglynn aka mighty mouse has hit form at the right time and if he gets lively vs the hawks on the mcg and gets around tippets feet he could have a field day.

If Puopolo gets 50 free kicks I'll throw a brick at the TV ;)

Time to get your brick out:D

You know I said brick.

I'll reserve my predictions until we see the teams. Regardless, we need to really step up & continue lifting to be any real hope. Can be done. We did it 12 months ago.

I've got a feeling this game will be decided in the first 2 quarters. If we are right with them and leading or trailing by 2 goals or less at half time I'd back us to win. If we are trailing by anything over 25 than its game over sadly.

I've got a feeling this game will be decided in the first 2 quarters. If we are right with them and leading or trailing by 2 goals or less at half time I'd back us to win. If we are trailing by anything over 25 than its game over sadly.

Go sit in the corner.

One thing you can take to the bank, is that the boys will always keep on fighting. If they are 25 down with 5 mins to go, i MAY agree with you

Josh kennedy to continue to crap all over his former club

He is also awesome on the mcg and in finals

White to kick 4 while tippett draws the defence

Jetta to kick the opening goal that starts the rot

Richards keeps the coleman medalist goaless

Swans by 87

Josh kennedy to continue to crap all over his former club

He is also awesome on the mcg and in finals

White to kick 4 while tippett draws the defence

Jetta to kick the opening goal that starts the rot

Richards keeps the coleman medalist goaless

Swans by 87
Do we think Jets will start ? I would love to see it , 87 wow your joking right lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back