Game Day Match Sim - Roos v Tigers - Arden St - 10am

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Noble's problem was he expected forwards to push way too far up the ground.
Won't forget when we played against Adelaide in R22 and we'd have players streaming into the forward line with no target because the entire forward line pushed up so much.

This is the biggest take on the game. Still need to clean up some options, like right footers running past for a handball so they're going to be on their left, and they dont have a left. And a couple of times we over used the handball but otherwise it was really good. Sheezal and Curtis are going to love quick ball movement into Larkey and Chom. Bring the ball to ground and one of these two will clean up more often than not.

My thought before the game was, will the game answer a few questions, and smash my head with a full beer tin if it didn't.

Is their a spot for our ex-captain? No. Short and simple, you're done mate. You'll be cheered loudly every time you come back to the club but for now your work is done.

Will Curtis be a super star? Not this year, but he's going to provide a lot of highlights.

Is Goldy our best ruck? Didn't even have to play to show us he is.

Has Logue and Clarko fixed our defence? They've gone a long way to making a big big difference. But I think it's going to be a while before we have a settled back 6 that will make us a top 4 contender.

Will we show any semblance of a decent game plan? Hell yeah. Quick ball movement and an inside 50 kick to space or long to talls. First instinct from a free or mark is look for a handball. It worked really well most of the time but a few times we made the wrong decision. That'll come with more game time. From the TV (not always the best way to judge) it looks like we had a really high press. Good to lock the ball inside 50 but resulted in a couple of quick turnover goals. Just need to make sure we have the right general back there protecting the space. McDonald and JZ failed, maybe Corr can play that role.

Will Sheezal be better than JHFF? Only joking, wasn't really a question. We've know all along.

Is it ok for grown men to wear signed footy jumpers? Hell no, you looked like a right dick when the camera pans to you.
Bit harsh on Jack. I'm one who thinks he has to earn his spot rather than be gifted it, and I don't think he did much wrong today. Far from our worst out there, did a few good things.

Similar with X. I thought he was one of our best today. Goldy still our best option as ruck, but good to know that X can perform if/when we need him to.

Agreed, the amount of toe pokes we saw just to keep the ball alive and moving, it has to be a directive. Good to see.
I was referring more the to the mark then play on immediately mantra. No holding up of play, just getting the ball moving straight away.

Anyone that wasn’t happy with today is deluded. Do you recall we would go quarters at a time without even looking like kicking a goal. The man running past the marker for the handball in the defensive half is clearly something they have worked on to speed up ball movement.

JZ was instructing guys a few times to always make sure to provide the handpass option.

We will still have tough patches where we se opened up, but we actually look dangerous inside 50.
For the last year and a bit any kick inside 50 just waltzed out un pressured to the oppositions 50 all the time.
Much better effort and they look more of a “team”.

Cheez class, thought wilphil did some nice clean things, young I hope starts in our back 6, LDU disposal not great but plenty of it. I like bull closer to goal. Think it should be 5 min bursts only in the centre. Enough said about ziebells kicking. Thinking hall maybe takes his spot round one. We looked a bit slow back there. Stepho was better in and looked more interested. Goater some nice things. Powell quiet after last week.

Will be good to see how they go against the dogs with their fast movement and stack of talls.

Did we make a mistake by drafting Kallan Dawson, instead of Massimo D'Ambrosio?

Hindsight is wonderful, but I can't help but think that Massimo's left foot would thrive, under Clarko's regime.

Looking at out current defenders, it's a serious weakness.

I'm not trying to be controversial, just curious.

Hindsight is wonderful, but I can't help but think that Massimo's left foot would thrive, under Clarko's regime.

I like Kal, but yes, IMO.

Structure was way way more important, we’ve been lucky picking up Logue. A lot of structural issues disappeared after picking him up.

We could’ve been starting this year off again with McKay, Dawson and an injured Corr. Our vfl team would’ve sucked again.

I also have faith in Drury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

**** is Massimo favourite for the Brownlow or something,
What an inconsequential thought.

CF44FB51-1382-40D8-B94F-86D34EEE077F.gif
No no no ….!!!!
I got murdered for bringing that up mid season draft last year .!?

I think Noble's problem was he expected forwards to push way too far up the ground.
Nobles problem was he should have stayed in admin!!

Chalk and cheese compared to last year in fact l saw more game plan from patch than what l saw from Noble....the fact that for long periods of the game that the ball lived in our forward half...at what stage last year did that happen!!

Comben healthy show how he can straighten the team as, imo, he's a better lead up forward than Larkey...interesting if Clarko plays CCJ up forward and have 3 talls as a constant?

Very happy what a saw today from the lads

100% we did. Massimo would have cemented himself in our HBF spot with ease.
Dawson is fighting for a spot on the bench for his position.
Massion beats most on our list for pace and IQ too.

Yes. Not that I think Dawson wasn't worth picking up, he would have been taken a few picks later on. Massimo just seemed to have a higher ceiling at the time. We picked Dawson because we refused to take KPP year after year in the draft even with later picks.

I don't even think it is a hindsight issue, he was the most talented option and filled a need. KPD depth was a problem as well but we have resolved that bringing in Corr and Logue, Dawson is replacing Walker as depth.

It is... but a bigger issue is that we won't drop Ziebell or McDonald so we have limited capacity to play other small/medium defenders.

I think given small forwards are more of a concern to us than key forwards, it would have been more of a priority, I mean, who was that Richmond midget who just don't argued JZ and then once he got out of arm's length he could have moonwalked into an open goal, if he can't even stick a tackle against someone smaller then Houston, we have a problem.

We are going to leak goals to small forwards, we just concede too much space and we can't close the gap.

It is... but a bigger issue is that we won't drop Ziebell or McDonald so we have limited capacity to play other small/medium defenders.

I think given small forwards are more of a concern to us than key forwards, it would have been more of a priority, I mean, who was that Richmond midget who just don't argued JZ and then once he got out of arm's length he could have moonwalked into an open goal, if he can't even stick a tackle against someone smaller then Houston, we have a problem.

We are going to leak goals to small forwards, we just concede too much space and we can't close the gap.
Agree with the sentiment, and agree that small forwards cause us all sorts of headaches and will continue to do so, but Ziebell is absolutely getting dropped at some point this season. He's going to be regularly outpointed and left in no man's land, especially once Logue and Corr have notched a solid block of full intensity training. We have a veritable carousel of players chomping at the bit for a game. Neither of Ziebell's output or leadership status will make him immune to pressure for his spot

I think people are expecting too much from Jack Z right now. He’s an “all effort” player at this stage. I only saw the first half of the game. Obviously, the Sheezel and Goater cameos were great. However, from my perspective, the single best individual act of the first half was clearly Jack’s “Archer-like” mark. The fact that everyone else, on both sides, was struggling to mark overhead in the swirling wind emphasised his effort even more.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Match Sim - Roos v Tigers - Arden St - 10am

Remove this Banner Ad

Back