Matthew Egan

Remove this Banner Ad

What was this interview? Does anyone have more detail about what he spoke about...

6 weeks, so i take it that puts him in the VFL around about Rnd 12/13...this is very good news. Give him a good month in the Twos and hopefully he can look at forcing his way into the seniors late in the year.

I am salivating at the prospect of Egan lining up alongside Harry Taylor, Scarlett and Harley. Forget all the drivel about the Hawthorn superstar forward line, what a backline that would be!

Egan will be such a huge addition to the side...

Matt Egan interview

http://blogs.abc.net.au/grandstand/2008/05/interview-matth.html?site=aflhttp://

Go CATS!!

Saw him on Sat. At least he is off the crutches, and looks to be moving freely. (actually looked like he had nothing wrong). I'd say the 6 weeks would be accurate. Can't wait to get him back!!!

thank god they drafted harry.l think egan my struggle to break his way into the main team this year

In the addy today...looking at round 11/12 for VFL return!

Looking fit too, and a photo of him doing laps was good to see! Anyone actually seen him of late down at training?

I don't think he will struggle to get back in...a good month in the VFL to regain match fitness and there is definately a spot there for him. Would love to see a backline include Harry, Egan, Scarlett and Harley.....unstoppable!

In the addy today...looking at round 11/12 for VFL return!

Looking fit too, and a photo of him doing laps was good to see! Anyone actually seen him of late down at training?

I don't think he will struggle to get back in...a good month in the VFL to regain match fitness and there is definately a spot there for him. Would love to see a backline include Harry, Egan, Scarlett and Harley.....unstoppable!

a tad top heavy? Unfortunately Harry may have to make way if Egan get get back fitness and form. He will replace Harley in a couple of years though.

a tad top heavy? Unfortunately Harry may have to make way if Egan get get back fitness and form. He will replace Harley in a couple of years though.

Thats what everyone is assuming...but Harry is a completely different player to Egan. Egan is the monster we need to nullify the power forwards and he plugs the central defensive corridor very effectively, not a great ball user but doesnt have to be. Harry is a ball magnet and will be a great matchup against the likes of a Franklin (bit more pace then Egan), can really see him filling a defensive utility role similar to Mackie and Milburn. Might be a chance to see if he has any leveridge up forward as well!

I wouldnt be suprised to see Taylor move to Enrights role and Enright spending more time in the midfield rotation.

Guess we will have to wait and see!

Apologies if this was posted earlier - I haven't seen it anywhere in the thread: here's the article from today's Addy. Ego sounds confident.
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2008/05/06/13638_gfc.html
Matthew Egan only one month away

Bradley Green

06May08

FIGHTING FIT: Matthew Egan at Geelong training last Friday.Photo: REG RYAN
Share this article
Digg this Post to del.icio.us Post to Stumble Upon Post to Facebook
online pollDo you think plans for a police kiosk in the mall is a good idea?
GEELONG defender Matthew Egan is confident his long-awaited comeback from a debilitating foot injury is just over a month away.

Egan, who has not played since breaking a bone in his right foot in the final round of last season, said he hoped to resume with Geelong's VFL side in mid-to-late June and then will push to regain his spot in the senior side in the run home to this year's finals.

"I've been running for about two weeks and I'm hoping to be back playing in the VFL in five or six weeks," Egan told ABC radio.

"Then it's just a matter of getting fit and, hopefully, getting my spot back. It's been a long time, when you look back and say it's been eight months, it definitely feels like it's been that long.

"Last week I went back and watched some local footy and I am hanging to be back out there playing, but I've just got to be patient and hopefully I'll be there in five or six weeks."

If the 24-year-old's recovery goes to schedule, he will return to Geelong's VFL side for its round 11 match against Bendigo or the following week against the Northern Bullants at Skilled Stadium.

The All-Australian centre half-back had suffered several complications throughout his recovery process since the original injury occurred last September.

He said making sure his foot had completely healed rather than ensuring he was match-fit had been the focus of his latest rehabilitation.

"Probably the last time, I was focusing on getting fit and not worrying about my foot," Egan said.

"In the end, my foot played up and I got another operation. This time, it's about getting my foot right and then worrying about fitness.

"I'm swimming four or five times a week and I'm probably the fittest I've ever been since I've been here. I'm three kilos lighter and I'm feeling great.

"It's been a long battle but I'm just glad it's behind me and I'm running and I can say six weeks whereas two months ago I had no idea."

Egan also revealed that he had regularly spoken to former Essendon champion James Hird during his recovery.

Hird, the 1996 Brownlow medallist and a veteran of 253 games, missed almost two years of his career in the late 1990s with a similar injury.

"I had a coffee with 'Hirdy' two months ago and he was great," Egan said.

"I sat with him for probably an hour-and-a-half and when he left, I wrote down about a page-and-a-half of notes, things that he said and just to remind myself.

"He's been awesome and I've spoken to him a few times since."

Apologies if this was posted earlier - I haven't seen it anywhere in the thread: here's the article from today's Addy. Ego sounds confident.

Egan also revealed that he had regularly spoken to former Essendon champion James Hird during his recovery.
Hird, the 1996 Brownlow medallist and a veteran of 253 games, missed almost two years of his career in the late 1990s with a similar injury.
"I had a coffee with 'Hirdy' two months ago and he was great," Egan said.
"I sat with him for probably an hour-and-a-half and when he left, I wrote down about a page-and-a-half of notes, things that he said and just to remind myself.
"He's been awesome and I've spoken to him a few times since."

I've always admired James Hird and that's exactly the reason why

anyone heard about maguire, poor bastard out again for the year. i jsut hope we be very careful with egan as stress fractures are a bitch to get right. if not managed properly, it could be an ongoing thing......

anyone heard about maguire, poor bastard out again for the year. i jsut hope we be very careful with egan as stress fractures are a bitch to get right. if not managed properly, it could be an ongoing thing......

Yes it is a valuable lesson the Maguire incident...and was on the same foot as he previously damaged. I think Geelong are smarter than St Kilda though, and Egan will definately not be rushed.

Anyone think Harry and Egan could play in the same team? Does anyone have any knowledge of Harry's forward ability...

Yes it is a valuable lesson the Maguire incident...and was on the same foot as he previously damaged. I think Geelong are smarter than St Kilda though, and Egan will definately not be rushed.

Anyone think Harry and Egan could play in the same team? Does anyone have any knowledge of Harry's forward ability...

i for one think they can and will eventually playing in the same team, i can see taylor taking over the third tall role that harley has cause i dont think he has the size to go with the big bastards. he reads the game and got some decent foot skills, he and mackie will replace harley and milburn eventually i think.

i for one think they can and will eventually playing in the same team, i can see taylor taking over the third tall role that harley has cause i dont think he has the size to go with the big bastards. he reads the game and got some decent foot skills, he and mackie will replace harley and milburn eventually i think.

Yeah, long term for sure, but even this year - i still think Taylor has a spot alongside Harley, Scarlett, and Egan. This would most likely see Enright push back up on the wing or into a midfield rotation. Again brings the question of who to leave out, tough ....

However it would be interesting to see Harry go forward, i liken him at this stage a lot to Paddy Ryder of Essendon. Maybe there is a place for him as flexible utility.

he needs to go the german quack
these aussie docs are not up to it

if he gets injected with rooster blood he will be running again

egan can play forward, and can also ruck a bit
will be great to get back, as the defence will be heaps better off with him there

this team will rock,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always admired James Hird and that's exactly the reason why

is anyone else concerned that matty's been talking with hirdy???

the james hird who has possibly the poorest record as a motivational speaker ever:D

...in all seriousness...thanks james... for talking to port before last years granny...you did a great job:thumbsu:

he spoke with the dons the other week before they got pumped also. hopefully he's been a bit more of an inspiration to our matty

Don't mean to be too pedantic but I believe it was on his other foot.

Don't mean to be too pedantic but I believe it was on his other foot.

Nah, the actually confirmed it yesterday as being on the same foot as previously damaged. Nasty injury and im sure there would be concerns now over his future...this is why the immediately said take the year off.

I think Geelong have been a lot smarter with Egan (bar the initial recovery to try and fit him in the GF). They realise that this can impact his Career and are most likely going to hold him back an extra month before gradually easing him back into match conditions.

If he is out running laps and conditioning at the moment this is fantastic news and he should give it a good month of solid running and light kicking drills before working back into match scenarios. Hopefully by Rnd 11 he can look towards a VFL spot. Would be great to have him fresh and ready to go for a big finals assault...similar to Ottens, no need to rush back when we are still winning!

James Hird missed nearly 2 years from the same injury. It's basically a break in in an area of the foot with limited bloodflow, making the healing process slow and inconsistent.

well, good news at least is that hirdy came back and consolidated a place as one of the legends of the game - glad to see he's mentoring ego through his rehabilitation too..!

hope he gets better soon. Gutsy, tremendous player. Forget blake, i was shattered for him missing the granny last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Matthew Egan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back