OzBomber

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 26, 2006
Walton Breck Rd
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool, Ricciardo
Once a champion. Always a champion. Over 900 goals, the most goals by anyone in the 00's. You are a legend mate. I and all of the Essendon football club will miss you. From taking big marks and kicking the big goals to laying the big hits, Lloydy has always worn his heart on his sleeve for the Essendon football club. People have given him shit over the years, but we all know that there is a begrudging respect for the Velvet Sledgehammer. He will go down as one of the greats, no matter what anyone says.

I'm absolutely devastated about the news and you will be missed dearly. Thank you very much to your contributions to this great club. :thumbsu:

As much as i love to bag him (as i have on other threads), a 900+ goal career can't be denied. Def one of the Essendon greats. Even though i'm of the opinion it was a dog act on Sewell (hell, i'm a hawks fan!), his last game was what got Essendon in the finals. So well done on a great career.

I was thinking only this year how sad life would be when I went to the footy and could no longer see Matty Lloyd running around in the Black and Red.

Sad day for the Essendon Football Club. However, life goes on, and I'm sure Matty will succeed in the next phase of his life; as a Father, Husband, coach and/or media commentator.

All class right until the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fletcher's the last one left of the golden era. It's going to be worse when he goes knowing that he is the last Bomber of that great team. :(

Take some solace in the fact that they are leaving with premiership medals. Eases the pain ever so slightly.

Must have been gutwrenching for Saints fans last year.

I'm still a little sceptical... but if true, sadness will ensue. It would surely be weird and gloomy not having him around... and the chances of us going far next year without his leadership and goalkicking will be tough. But as they say... a team is a team.

I'll miss him greatly, always a mentor to the club. Hopefully Gumby can step up and make him proud, as with Neagle.

Love you Lloyd, no one can top you! :D

FOREVER A LEGEND. :thumbsu:

Really is sad to see both Matty and Scotty retire this year.:( Has been an absolute champion for us over the years and he only cost us Todd Ridley lol (thanks Freo:D).

Has given me so many great memories over the years and as a mid 80s born bomber fan, he's one of the originals and just like when Hirdy retired, it's going to be weird first up next year when he's no longer there.

I know that most of the footy world outside of Essendon will want to remember you for the wrong reasons, but I can speak for all bomber fans in saying that we'll remember you for all those great marks, big bags of goals (13 against Sydney), the two tons in 2000 and 2001 and so much more.

Legend of the club and I'll dearly miss you!

All the players I've grown up watching are all leaving, such a sad sight :(

You were my favourite Essendon player, Lloydy. Congratulations and good luck.

When I was first going to the footy it was Terry Daniher, Paul Van Der Haar, Billy Duckworth, Simon Madden, Tim Watson et al. When these guys retired I wondered how we would survive. Enter James Hird, Matthew Lloyd, Scott Lucas, Mark Mercuri, Joe Misiti et al. Now it's time for Tayte Pears, Michael Hurley, Scott Gumbleton, David Myers, Paddy Ryder et al.

When I was first going to the footy it was Terry Daniher, Paul Van Der Haar, Billy Duckworth, Simon Madden, Tim Watson et al. When these guys retired I wondered how we would survive. Enter James Hird, Matthew Lloyd, Scott Lucas, Mark Mercuri, Joe Misiti et al. Now it's time for Tayte Pears, Michael Hurley, Scott Gumbleton, David Myers, Paddy Ryder et al.

^ yeah that ^ that was my era too Anyway just think all those baby Hirds to look forward to!

We have to honour both Lloyd and Lucas next year at our first home game, a lap of the 'G or Dome, anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Matthew Lloyd you are a legend

Remove this Banner Ad

Back