Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably got fastracked in 2018 due to the injury to Goldsack and constant injuries to Moore. But swings and roundabouts, other players like Langdon and Crisp have been fasttracked due to injuries Shaz suffered early in his career!!

I'd still like Moore to settle at CHB and Shaz move across to a flank in due course.
Wouldn't Moore make a decent FB once Dunn retires?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Its a novel idea that the round 1 22 isn't the current best 22.

It was never that big an issue but he did slip our of the best 22 for a short while so yeah I agree this has been a bit of an overreaction by you. Don't stress though, not a biggie.:)
I’m always happy to admit when I am wrong. In this case though I was not.

I’m always happy to admit when I am wrong. In this case though I was not.

Not sure that's something that is easily self assessed.

JMac you love coming back to this point. It's months ago now and it might be better just to enjoy Shaz's emerging year.

For the record given you are pushing to be right. This dispute came into being after I commented before JLT2 that Shaz on preseason form had fallen outside the current best 22 and would start the year in the VFL and would have to make his move from there.

You took a pretty strong opposing view to this idea saying variously he was carrying an injury, although you had no evidence for that, or that his management plan was for him to be in the VFL preseason. Neither of those ideas you can back up in any way.

As it turned out my initial thought was correct. Shaz did start the season outside the round 1 best 22 and had to make a move from the VFL. Fortunately for him and us he got a chance early after our terrible round 1 form and the injuries/suspension to Reid, Smith and Cox. Shaz hasn't looked back since.

This was franked again by the article about Shaz on the CFC website 17th May where both he and Buckley confirmed he hit a snag with form in the preseason and JLT. The below quotes confirm the above.

"Matthew Scharenberg's form was not where it needed to be at the start of the season, prompting Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley to concede the backman was "in a bit of a funk" before a dramatic turnaround in form.

The versatile Scharenberg was not selected for round one after an uninspiring JLT Community Series"

and

"It came down to having more impact (on games) and doing what I needed to be able to do that," Scharenberg told AFL Media.

"Then it was about stripping everything right back and focusing on my role as a defender and getting those things right."

Buckley said full credit had to go to Scharenberg for turning things around, and for developing clarity around his role in the side.

"Matty had a strong pre-season, but his form throughout the JLT was not great," Buckley admitted.

"He made a significant shift leading into those last couple of weeks in the VFL practice matches he played in and he really clarified his thinking on his strengths, and mainly that's his aggressive positioning and (his work in) the contest.

"The other focus was to train those, and we saw a really sharp spike from that. Matty came out of a bit of a funk and is playing as good a football as we have seen."

Pretty clear that he lost form in the preseason games so had to start in the 2's. Not really that unusual in a young inexperienced player. As I said previously it's not a biggie but you were clearly wrong in how you saw this situation.

Not sure that's something that is easily self assessed.

JMac you love coming back to this point. It's months ago now and it might be better just to enjoy Shaz's emerging year.

For the record given you are pushing to be right. This dispute came into being after I commented before JLT2 that Shaz on preseason form had fallen outside the current best 22 and would start the year in the VFL and would have to make his move from there.

You took a pretty strong opposing view to this idea saying variously he was carrying an injury, although you had no evidence for that, or that his management plan was for him to be in the VFL preseason. Neither of those ideas you can back up in any way.

As it turned out my initial thought was correct. Shaz did start the season outside the round 1 best 22 and had to make a move from the VFL. Fortunately for him and us he got a chance early after our terrible round 1 form and the injuries/suspension to Reid, Smith and Cox. Shaz hasn't looked back since.

This was franked again by the article about Shaz on the CFC website 17th May where both he and Buckley confirmed he hit a snag with form in the preseason and JLT. The below quotes confirm the above.

"Matthew Scharenberg's form was not where it needed to be at the start of the season, prompting Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley to concede the backman was "in a bit of a funk" before a dramatic turnaround in form.

The versatile Scharenberg was not selected for round one after an uninspiring JLT Community Series"

and

"It came down to having more impact (on games) and doing what I needed to be able to do that," Scharenberg told AFL Media.

"Then it was about stripping everything right back and focusing on my role as a defender and getting those things right."

Buckley said full credit had to go to Scharenberg for turning things around, and for developing clarity around his role in the side.

"Matty had a strong pre-season, but his form throughout the JLT was not great," Buckley admitted.

"He made a significant shift leading into those last couple of weeks in the VFL practice matches he played in and he really clarified his thinking on his strengths, and mainly that's his aggressive positioning and (his work in) the contest.

"The other focus was to train those, and we saw a really sharp spike from that. Matty came out of a bit of a funk and is playing as good a football as we have seen."

Pretty clear that he lost form in the preseason games so had to start in the 2's. Not really that unusual in a young inexperienced player. As I said previously it's not a biggie but you were clearly wrong in how you saw this situation.
Thanks for your reply GC. I don’t actually have an issue with your history on the subject of Schazz because it was well considered and logical. There were however other posters who were happy to write him off completely. I don’t need to name them.

Thanks for your reply GC. I don’t actually have an issue with your history on the subject of Schazz because it was well considered and logical. There were however other posters who were happy to write him off completely. I don’t need to name them.
No worries Jmac. Main thing is Shaz is up and about. Having an excellent season

What's heartening is his quick turnaround in form at the start of the season.

Bucks admitted that Schaz performed below par in preseason and thus was not selected for round 1.

However, now he's in career best form and is crucial at CHB.

It doesn't happen often, but it keeps that little spark to maybe see that glass as half full.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I just love the Berger.

Now he’s rock solid best 22

Onwards and upwards :)

Love it :)

And he’s all ours :)

Put up a statue of this bloke for backing into the oncoming Garlett. Gutsy. Classy. Brave.

He did have a tough game up against Curnow. Unfortunately, no defender was really helping him. He was undersized And was usually caught one-out. He should be playing on 3rd tall, but with our lack of KPD’s, he’s thrown into the deep end.

But to be honest, not many people could have stopped Curnow today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Put up a statue of this bloke for backing into the oncoming Garlett. Gutsy. Classy. Brave.

He did have a tough game up against Curnow. Unfortunately, no defender was really helping him. He was undersized And was usually caught one-out. He should be playing on 3rd tall, but with our lack of KPD’s, he’s thrown into the deep end.

Who was Dunne playing on? Was the logical matchup surely?

Very difficult match up due to Curnows size and mobility. Thought it was a poor defensive game from the Pies in the sense that there needed to be more 3rd man ups against Curnow. You won't win with a 1 on 1 against Curnow.

Dunn was playing on Rowe, but Rowe was never going to get the ball. He was leading away from Charlie Curnow.

Seriously? We put our best tall defender on Rowe & left Curnow on skinnier shorter players? WTF?
I mean Rowe is VFL class at best. Curnow may have been a touch more dangerous I would have thought.
The mind boggles sometimes.

Dunn's a terrible match up for Curnow. Dunn's our best stopper for certain types but Curnow isn't that type. Dunn restricts what we can do match up wise down back a bit.

But we can't always expect that we are going to have the leniency to play Shaz and Howe as free floating backmen, they are the next closest key position players in our current backline, they need to have to ability to play 1v1 against key forwards at stages.
They've both had their colours lowered a bit the last couple of weeks - against a couple of very good forwards mind you.

We are definitely leaking goals too easily at the moment though. I think from 6 entries in the third quarter Carlton kicked 3 goals.

I could be wrong but I believe Dunn started on Curnow and then they made the switch
It was rotating around a bit from my read on it. Dunn had him, Shaz was on him for a while. Howe more later. Curnow is a great talent though and showed it as much as anytime with that mark when caught between Shaz and Howe late in the game. Both of those are excellent aerialists but mid size and Curnow just put them out of the contest. A mobile big key back is a need and Moore fits that bill. Would release Shaz to his best role as 3rd tall.

He got flogged yesterday, but that was all-courage when he went back not knowing what was coming.

AFL
Pies footy boss lauds Scharenberg's season
By Mark Koelmeyer 5 hours ago
GettyImages-971316956.jpg

Collingwood’s General Manager of Football, Geoff Walsh, has praised Collingwood defender Matthew Scharenberg for a dramatic turnaround in his form.

Scharenberg has had a horror run with injuries since being taken at pick six in the 2013 draft, a run that included two knee reconstructions and surgery on both feet.

Scharenberg has never been able to get healthy during his four years at the Pies, but since he was inserted into the Pies' defence after a 34-point loss to Hawthorn in Round 1, he has produced the type of form the Pies expected when they drafted him.

Walsh commended the Scharenberg's resilience and said he has been one of the best defenders for the Pies this season.

“He’s really fought back well,” said Walsh on SEN's KB and The Doc.

“This was the first time that Matthew has been able to complete a really strong solid preseason and he’s really reaping the rewards.

“He’s probably been, if not our most consistent, certainly one of the most consistent defenders.

Scharenberg has thrived alongside veteran defenders Lynden Dunn and Jeremy Howe, averaging 20 disposals a game and looks to have solidified his spot in the back six.

The Pies are flying high having won five straight games and sit inside the top four.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back