Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw Lee Walker live (he didn't play many so it's a rare thing). He was limitless as far as potential went. Had star written all over him from game 1.
He was awesome but he did 4 knees.

Last edited:

Schaz has still only played 31 games.
In 5 years.
Without doing research but that's about 31 games out of a possible 110 or so.
Poor guy.
Should be making headlines for being a super player but instead is making headlines for persistent injury and bad luck.
Feel bad for him, but at least he has a strong and supportive network around him.

He was awesome but he did 4 knees.

Robert Hyde
Hyde won the Copeland Trophy in the wooden spoon year of 1976, which was a testimony to his spirit as Hawthorn star Leigh Matthews had fallen across his knee and seriously injured it midway through the previous season.

He was appointed deputy vice-captain in 1977 and played in the Grand Final tie and Replay but then seriously injured the knee again in a 1978 practice game.

He missed the entire season and then crossed to Essendon where he was a surprise selection for the 1979 Elimination Final, but he injured the knee again and was forced to retire at the age of 24.

Hey guys,

Sorry to intrude, I know how shattering this is for you guys on Sharenberg's behalf.

I'll keep this short as I want to be respectful, but I'm a Physio whose really interested in trying to understand why injuries happen and I've spent a bit of time on ACLs of late.

I've put together an article on some things that don't seem to be enough of a focus in terms of ACLs and there's some strong similarities between Scahrenberg's injury and Nic Nat's.

If you guys are interested enough to have a squiz please do. I posted this to the main board a few days ago so hopefully I'm not doubling up by putting it here too.

Either way, hope to see Shaz back out there soon.

Cheers

http://www.peninsulaphysio.com.au/blog/acl-injuries-are-we-missing-something-nic-naitanui-edition/
04d75b125d6b139e2bfcf9471b442cc7.jpg

Hey guys,

Sorry to intrude, I know how shattering this is for you guys on Sharenberg's behalf.

I'll keep this short as I want to be respectful, but I'm a Physio whose really interested in trying to understand why injuries happen and I've spent a bit of time on ACLs of late.

I've put together an article on some things that don't seem to be enough of a focus in terms of ACLs and there's some strong similarities between Scahrenberg's injury and Nic Nat's.

If you guys are interested enough to have a squiz please do. I posted this to the main board a few days ago so hopefully I'm not doubling up by putting it here too.

Cheers

http://www.peninsulaphysio.com.au/blog/acl-injuries-are-we-missing-something-nic-naitanui-edition/
Interesting, thanks. I did read it but apologies if you already answered this: if stiff/bad ankles are a risk factor for these injuries, wouldn't you expect to see a history of ankle injuries in people who do ACLs?

Mate im ruddy hopeful for pcl or medial. Anything but the acl.

However the vision is damning....

I’m hoping for an all clear! Why the hell not we always get the unlucky with these, why not get lucky this time?

:rainbow: And all that right? Someone give me hope! :drunk:

I remember when I did my knee prior to that it was creaking like a barn door flapping in the breeze for a good few weeks.. then bam.. hyperextended it and that was it.

I used to train pretty hard.. so I dunno.. I reckon I'd put my knee injury down to fatigue and soreness. Putting a lot of pressure on it because I trained like an animal..

So I'm thinking without doing not one iota of research on it.. I suspect my knee gave way because of my training regime.

Interesting, thanks. I did read it but apologies if you already answered this: if stiff/bad ankles are a risk factor for these injuries, wouldn't you expect to see a history of ankle injuries in people who do ACLs?
Its a good question. The short answer is no not really. You can accrue ankle stiffness (and most of us do) without the need for a previous ankle injury. Obviously if you have one and you dont get your full mobility back then it would increase the risk for sure, but the majority of us wear heeled shoes and thongs as a matter of habit from a very young age - so its generally just there for a lot of people.

I remember when I did my knee prior to that it was creaking like a barn door flapping in the breeze for a good few weeks.. then bam.. hyperextended it and that was it.

I used to train pretty hard.. so I dunno.. I reckon I'd put my knee injury down to fatigue and soreness. Putting a lot of pressure on it because I trained like an animal..

So I'm thinking without doing not one iota of research on it.. I suspect my knee gave way because of my training regime.
Its a fair point mate. From what I see everyday the training stuff will definitely have played a role in doing your knee - its valid.

But the best way to think about it is that training is by definition normal - your body is designed for it. You can go nuts and it should just adapt and eat it up. Its why AFL footballers are beasts. The bigger issue is that there is generally likely to have been some mechanical issues there beforehand - but from what Im finding they dont stand out unless you go looking for them. They dont hurt or in the ankles case you may not even realise they're stiff day to day.

Basically things like exercise and use are exactly what the body is designed for so they cant create an issue - unless its a horrible accident, which almost none are. The best way to think about it is it can only expose something that was already there.

If that made any sense at all?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a fair point mate. From what I see everyday the training stuff will definitely have played a role in doing your knee - its valid.

But the best way to think about it is that training is by definition normal - your body is designed for it. You can go nuts and it should just adapt and eat it up. Its why AFL footballers are beasts. The bigger issue is that there is generally likely to have been some mechanical issues there beforehand - but from what Im finding they dont stand out unless you go looking for them. They dont hurt or in the ankles case you may not even realise they're stiff day to day.

Basically things like exercise and use are exactly what the body is designed for so they cant create an issue - unless its a horrible accident, which almost none are. The best way to think about it is it can only expose something that was already there.

If that made any sense at all?

Possibly.. but then again.. as much as players are beasts.. doesn't mean they're never sore.. or have aches and pains that contribute to shit like knee injuries re..

The body is not designed too look like youre on the roids re. It's designed to do every day tasks.. running walking jogging whatever re.. what's required to live and what's required not getting injured in the process is an equilibrium that we'll never achieve.. the reason why AFL players are always getting injured is because theyre on the extreme end of the spectrum as far as over doing it.. doing things to their bodies thats just not natural.. not required.

Hey guys,

Cheers

Great reading. Thanks.
I notice the point - “Re-injury is far too common”. Is it actually that common? There are certainly some high profile case eg Shaz, Schwarz, Menzel etc but the majority of AFL guys seem to be one offs.
What’s your thoughts on Tyson Goldsacks potential quick return. It has been backed by Julian Feller but seems to defy what is normally required for a ligament to “take”.

I also clicked on your link for form ACL Rehabilitation and it didn’t work. Is that just me?

Bad news for the berg - some people are just genetically predisposed to certain injuries. Be at least 12 months, just in time to be back for next years finals

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Really sad for Matt and , given how long it took him to have the confidence to play his best last time around, it's hard to see him just walking back in to a finals team (assuming we make it in 2019). He likely isn't an AFL prospect until 2020 unless he makes a very speedy recovery.:(

****, ****, ****, ****ity, ****

Good luck to the kid in his recovery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back