Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

He is starting to dominate in the air now being that third man up defusing the contest. Will only be a matter of time before he starts dominating at ground level in contested situations , holding the ball and taking the man on. Exciting.

Great game by Shaz but that moron umpire 2 needs to be dropped for the free paid against shaz on Fischer
The free kick for the tackle on Fisher and the free to Casboult for being ‘held’ by Dunn after Shaz came across to spoil the certain mark and got crunched in the process infuriated me.
Both ripping pieces of play by him and ruined by poor umpiring.

The free kick for the tackle on Fisher and the free to Casboult for being ‘held’ by Dunn after Shaz came across to spoil the certain mark and got crunched in the process infuriated me.
Both ripping pieces of play by him and ruined by poor umpiring.
If only we could get frees like that, every week.

If only we could get frees like that, every week.
They were two goals gifted to the blues through terrible umpiring, and basically the reason why the score line flattered them so much. Really should have been a 64-100 score.

Should be playing every game until the rest of the season.
No reason why we shouldn't be investing the games and minutes in him.
He's pick 6, we've invested a lot and now we need to find out what he can do.
His first 2 games this season have been quite strong.
Whether he gets toweled up or not is irrelevant- just back him in, play him and let's find out what we've got here.

Kid needs confidence too so just let him play.

He’s certainly not worth a pick 6.

Neither is
Beau Dowler 05
Mitch Thorp 06
David Myers 07
Chris Yarren 08
Gary Rohan 09
Reece Conca 10
Caleb Marchbank 14
Aaron Francis 15

Pick 6 in the draft isn't guarantee star
And previous drafts,
But after 2 ACLs he deserves every opportunity to prove himself

He’s certainly not worth a pick 6.

Mate, 99% of your post are taking pot-shots; your comments are trite and I can easily ignore them but this time I'll bite.

Shaz is a young guy blessed with talent and he has had a horrible run with injury. He hasn't given up where many would have, and is fighting to realise his potential. You, in your infinite wisdom have already judged him to be a failure at 6 and another bad decision for the club.

These days I see the club doing more wrong than right in player management and recruiting, but Shaz is not one of those cases. I'm glad he and the club did not give up on each other. I want the guy to do well just so he can prove you are a naysayer.

I’m known as a Berger fanboy.im

But all jokes aside, he’s going so well.

Poise, he just has that classy poise.

Looks the real deal.

And his 1% stats are killing them.

Pendlebury tackling was through the roof tonight; Scharenberg’s small stuff was terrific.

Loved it.

I've been the opposite of a Scharenberg fan-boy, but I am becoming one too. This year he's showing the intent in a contest and with the ball that was lacking last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was always going to be tentative last year, coming from so far back with persistent injuries it was always going to take him a while to start trusting his body.

Spot on! Only the incredibly myopic, could criticise his 2017 form. 20 possessions, 7.5 marks a game coming off 2 consecutive ACLs and going into 2017 with the whopping total of 4, yup FOUR games under his belt. He was always going to play with more pace and aggression 2nd year after the ACL

Spot on! Only the incredibly myopic, could criticise his 2017 form. 20 possessions, 7.5 marks a game coming off 2 consecutive ACLs and going into 2017 with the whopping total of 4, yup FOUR games under his belt. He was always going to play with more pace and aggression 2nd year after the ACL

My issues with Shaz last year weren't about just being tentative. It wasn't that he got to contests and didn't fully commit. It was that peeled away from contests to become a backwards outlet and then sent the ball further backwards. He played a cheap, kick chasing style of game. Those stats meant nothing to me. Goldsack was far more valuable with his 12 or so possessions a game. I'm loving what I'm seeing this year from Shaz - even though his numbers have probably dropped a bit.

Last edited:
My issues with Shaz last year weren't about just being tentative. It wasn't that he got to contests and didn't fully commit. It was that peeled away from contests to become a backwards outlet and then sent the ball further backwards. He played a cheap, kick chasing style of game. Those stats meant nothing to me. Goldsack was far more valuable with his 12 or so possessions a game. I'm loving what I'm seeing this year from Shaz - even though his numbers have probably dropped a bit.
His numbers are actually roughly the same, but with more tackles. Only a sample size of two games though, so a bit early to talk about numbers dropping or increasing.

I've been the opposite of a Scharenberg fan-boy, but I am becoming one too. This year he's showing the intent in a contest and with the ball that was lacking last year.

For some reason both Shaz and Aish seem to really be playing with a lot more intent. Is it a confidence thing or did the club do something differently in the pre-season?

For some reason both Shaz and Aish seem to really be playing with a lot more intent. Is it a confidence thing or did the club do something differently in the pre-season?
Glad you mentioned Aish. he just seems to be quietly going about his business, nothing flashy but getting the job done and with that seems to be gaining confidence in his game.

Good coaching, I suspect, plus a fair bit of work in the gym - they both look stronger and therefore more capable of being more physical in their approach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back