Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yup. And I'm loving that we can see his individual attributes while he takes his place alongside a backline which is functioning better than it has for years.

He's playing his part, it has taken him so f****** long to find his feet, but I can see the day when he also finds his voice and becomes a leader back there.
Agree.
He’s a leader in the making.

By the side, Dunn has been enormous for us.

Suck lemons Melbourne, we have Dunn and Howe
They have Kennedy, Dawes, Lumunba and errr wait... whoops

That's my boy. :)

Very relaxed when the ball is in his vicinity.

Is genuine best 22 now, no question. Unsurprising to those of us who’ve followed him closely that he was capable of this, he just needed a clean run and time to gain confidence back in his body. He’s only going to keep getting better.

Enjoying having him there week in, week out along with Murray. Having the same back 6 playing together and developing and beginning to play predictably for one another makes an enormous difference. In fact I also thought Maynard had a very solid day defensively too, despite a few clangers going forward.

Enjoying having him there week in, week out along with Murray. Having the same back 6 playing together and developing and beginning to play predictably for one another makes an enormous difference. In fact I also thought Maynard had a very solid day defensively too, despite a few clangers going forward.

It was Maynards best game in a while! Very good defensively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is genuine best 22 now, no question. Unsurprising to those of us who’ve followed him closely that he was capable of this, he just needed a clean run and time to gain confidence back in his body. He’s only going to keep getting better.

Bout the only time I’ll agree with you. If only he had more pace but not always the most important thing, very smart footballer and starting to hold up 1on1.

Sent from my Warped mind

I like many, was starting to doubt him end of last year.....Now I'm loving what his producing, as others have stated, will only get better & better...great to see.

The whole backline has been great. Richmond are going to be a big test. Hawthorn's pace really worried us both in terms of defending them and handling the pressure they applied. Richmond will give them a similar test, albeit with less skill.
True but we had the lumbering forward set-up back then that played to our weaknesses and couldn’t chase anybody out of our forward line.

I’m more worried about the 4-day break.

True but we had the lumbering forward set-up back then that played to our weaknesses and couldn’t chase anybody out of our forward line.

I’m more worried about the 4-day break.

Sorry, I wasn't talking about pace in general. I was talking specifically about small forwards who were able to be damaging offensively and just as significantly put on enough pressure to cause panic amongst defenders when we had the ball. I think in terms of our defence, the doubt I have is covering smalls and making good decisions under frenetic pressure. Richmond, like Hawthorn did, will bring both threats, so it's going to be a great test.

Last edited:
Geez he was solid yesterday, an absolute rock. Smart decisions and good disposals all afternoon.

I really feel he will get a huge lift from it mentally as well; if there were any lingering doubts or nervousness, he just emphatically showed himself and everyone that he can play great footy on one of the biggest stages of the year.

Keep it up, Shaz!

He is showing that he can be an adequate key defender in this league, which is massive for us, because he does have a calm cool head and will use the ball better than most key defenders can.

I am a Langdon fan, even though I think he has been a little down on form this year, but these two are no longer playing for the same position. Dunn is our rock, Scharenberg is our second key defender with great composure and game sense, Howe, Crisp and Langdon add the length and athleticism to come off and help or zone back on taller or smaller players and Maynard and Murray can go with the smalls (they are both lightning quick too). It's a very good mix for the modern game. Could develop into something pretty special.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back