Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Quickly becoming one of my favourite players. Confidence in footy is a funny thing, this kid has finally had continuity in his footy and been given the senior opportunities off the back of hard work. Will keep getting better and better. Lock for a best 22 player now. Very settled in the back 6.

I think this was probably his “bottom 5 out of his 20 games”. In the first half, he was directly responsible for couple of goals. He left his man a few times, and didn’t impact the contest enough. I still love him, but his worst game of the year. I’ll cope that if that’s against the 17th team in the comp.

Last year, I was an anti-fan and I thought he had a shocker against Brisbane, but he's been great so far this year. He's won me over, couldn't care less about one bad game.

He had been good against the taller opponents all year. Just an unlucky game for him where he didn’t quite make some of the spoils he usually does. Ball was coming in got all game, needed more pressure from further up the ground.

He had been good against the taller opponents all year. Just an unlucky game for him where he didn’t quite make some of the spoils he usually does. Ball was coming in got all game, needed more pressure from further up the ground.
He kept going to ground rather than keeping his feet, for no apparent reason. That was the bigger issue for me, but no big deal in the context of his season to date.

Hopefully Dunny stays in the backline with Shaz for the next couple of years to keep developing him into a stronger and more vocal leader as he gains more confidence.

Then he can add the Dunny mongrel string to his bow down the track :)

Hopefully Dunny stays in the backline with Shaz for the next couple of years to keep developing him into a stronger and more vocal leader as he gains more confidence.

Then he can add the Dunny mongrel string to his bow down the track :)

Unfortunately I dont think Schaz has much of the inner mongrel waiting to come out!

Sat with him at the player sponsors' breakfast last year (he was our BF sponsored player), and the words gentle, attentive and polite come to mind! He was just delightful, a lovely quiet bloke.

Doesn't mean he isnt a brute deep down, and the two shouldn't be mutually exclusive, but...

Here's a picture I posted last year, from the brekky. Schaz (front) smiled a lot; Crispy (middle) was on his phone a lot; and Treloar (background) talked a lot (I assume he did, he was on another table).

378868_d774215418c33f9894117f5018ddab01.png

Unfortunately I dont think Schaz has much of the inner mongrel waiting to come out!

Sat with him at the player sponsors' breakfast last year (he was our BF sponsored player), and the words gentle, attentive and polite come to mind! He was just delightful, a lovely quiet bloke.

Doesn't mean he isnt a brute deep down, and the two shouldn't be mutually exclusive, but...

Here's a picture I posted last year, from the brekky. Schaz (front) smiled a lot; Crispy (middle) was on his phone a lot; and Treloar (background) talked a lot (I assume he did, he was on another table).

He looks so wholesome

Just love what he brings.

A bit of Clement about him :)

Wonder if he'll ever have a go in the midfield? He's slow but has good decision making and time (like pendles).

Doubt it'll happen, given he's a great intercept mark, but would be interesting to see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if he'll ever have a go in the midfield? He's slow but has good decision making and time (like pendles).

Doubt it'll happen, given he's a great intercept mark, but would be interesting to see.
I'm pretty confident that he'll have a run in the midfield at some stage of his career. Even Maxwell had a few games as a mid.

He’s the type of bloke you want your daughter to date. Look at that face.

Last edited:
Impressive this year but the lack of penetration when he goes long is quite startling for someone who was rated for his kicking ability. He seems to kick very low balls and doesn't seem to have any distance in him. 40-45 metres seems to be about his length.

Impressive this year but the lack of penetration when he goes long is quite startling for someone who was rated for his kicking ability. He seems to kick very low balls and doesn't seem to have any distance in him. 40-45 metres seems to be about his length.

I guess guys who can kick it 60m are fun and all but it's not really necessary most of the time. An accurate 40m kick that doesn't float in the air is more than good enough to get the job done.

He’s a poor kick given he’s hardly under pressure when he has the ball. A downgrade on Nathan Brown as a defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back