Max Holmes will be the best player in the AFL in 5 years time

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s the beauty of Chris Scott and the Geelong list management team don’t you think? They’re able to inject exciting youth into the team and combine them with the more experienced players in a way that sees them being competitive most years, and they’ve shown that a high average age is no barrier to achieving ultimate success.

Also, average age is a somewhat meaningless marker, because the young guys aren’t old right? There’s different ways to achieve the same average, and obviously Geelong have done pretty well to achieve a balance that allows them to stay near the pointy end more than other teams have been able to for an extended period of time

Further to my earlier replay on this.

From the point we can say this is a Chris Scott team that wasn't largely built and influenced by somebody else. Let's say 2013 onwards. This is where he sits in terms of winning finals against teams who finish top 4, from 2013-current:

8 Hardwick
7 Clarkson
5 C Scott Simpson
4 Longmire
3 Beveridge
2 Fagan, Hinkley, Lyon, Buckley, McRae, Pyke

Also immediately before Scott, Mark Thompson coached Geelong to 8 such wins in 4 years.

Also, all of career table for the coaches who coached in and around Chris Scott's career:

11 Clarkson
8 Hardwick, C Scott, M Thompson
7 Longmire
6.5 Lyon
5 Simpson
3 Beveridge
2 Fagan, Hinkley, Buckley, McRae, Pyke

Scott and Longmire obviously benefitted from walking into coaching high functioning teams year 1. To this day Scott hasn't won more of these games than Mark Thompson, despite inheriting a dynasty team and coaching for 4 years longer so far.

So Scott has a bit to do yet in terms of winning big games against strong teams before he proves his predilection for older players a significant success.

Further to my earlier replay on this.

From the point we can say this is a Chris Scott team that wasn't largely built and influenced by somebody else. Let's say 2013 onwards. This is where he sits in terms of winning finals against teams who finish top 4, from 2013-current:

8 Hardwick
7 Clarkson
5 C Scott Simpson
4 Longmire
3 Beveridge
2 Fagan, Hinkley, Lyon, Buckley, McRae, Pyke

Also immediately before Scott, Mark Thompson coached Geelong to 8 such wins in 4 years.

Also, all of career table for the coaches who coached in and around Chris Scott's career:

11 Clarkson
8 Hardwick, C Scott, M Thompson
7 Longmire
6.5 Lyon
5 Simpson
3 Beveridge
2 Fagan, Hinkley, Buckley, McRae, Pyke

Scott and Longmire obviously benefitted from walking into coaching high functioning teams year 1. To this day Scott hasn't won more of these games than Mark Thompson, despite inheriting a dynasty team and coaching for 4 years longer so far.

So Scott has a bit to do yet in terms of winning big games against strong teams before he proves his predilection for older players a significant success.
Scott took an old side EVERYONE said was cooked (like they did Richmond after 2021) and took them to a flag, completely turned over the list while consistently contending (two tremendous sides were in the way, it happens...look at sides who contended 2001-2011 and you'll see they had the same luck) and then won another flag. Imagine if Yze was following the same track if he took over in 2022.

Scott and Thompson did it with just one actual home final between them, hosting a whole range of MCG sides at their home ground despite being the higher ranked team. So bonus points for both of them.

Scott took an old side EVERYONE said was cooked (like they did Richmond after 2021) and took them to a flag, completely turned over the list while consistently contending (two tremendous sides were in the way, it happens...look at sides who contended 2001-2011 and you'll see they had the same luck) and then won another flag. Imagine if Yze was following the same track if he took over in 2022.

Scott and Thompson did it with just one actual home final between them, hosting a whole range of MCG sides at their home ground despite being the higher ranked team. So bonus points for both of them.
As these gentlemen commented last night, Richmond tried to do what Geelong did but 'failed so badly'.

As these gentlemen commented last night, Richmond tried to do what Geelong did but 'failed so badly'.

Maybe if Dimma left after 2021, Yze would've turned out to be a Chris Scott clone - Richmond premiers 2022, EF 2023, PF 2024....

And it would have been easy because he inherited a champion team.

Likewise if Clarkson left after 2016, or Matthews after 2004. I'm sure any old coach would've put together a Geelong 2011-2024 run because they'd be inheriting a champion team.

Personally I liked the look of Max during his draft year.

But I digress. You've got people supporting your club talking about make believe 20 year dynasties in this thread.

They actually double down when you point out what the word means.

Which seems the bigger surprise to you?
Ahh you may have missed the point, thread is for discussing Max Holmes and his prospects as a player.

Ahh you may have missed the point, thread is for discussing Max Holmes and his prospects as a player.

Since I mentioned that I liked the look of him during his draft year..... and didn't introduce the concept of a 20 year AFL dynasty, I'd say I grasp the point a whole lot better than several Cats fans in this thread.

But I see you have an appetite to defend the indefensible.

Is that also 'the point'?

Since I mentioned that I liked the look of him during his draft year..... and didn't introduce the concept of a 20 year AFL dynasty, I'd say I grasp the point a whole lot better than several Cats fans in this thread.

You're entitled to your opinion, twist it any way you like but the fact remains that the last page of waffle has zero to do with the thread title.

Could only be a Hawk or Tigers supporter :rolleyes: Last response from me, you are blocked.

Follow the reply trail. You've been sucked in by the off topic nonsense of Meteoric Rise, who will go to any desperate place to reference Richmond's success and Geelong's supposed doomed or sub-par past/present/future. It's an obsession.

Pies were world beaters this season. Stringer should fix it for you 🤣
Pies are in an infinitely better position than Richmond is. N Daicos alone is better than anyone Richmond currently has or will draft over the next decade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pies are in an infinitely better position than Richmond is. N Daicos alone is better than anyone Richmond currently has or will draft over the next decade

Too bad it’s a team game and he isn’t a Dusty to carry the Pies.

I thought finishing 9th was terrible anyway, bet you would’ve given us crap for it.

Too bad it’s a team game and he isn’t a Dusty to carry the Pies.

I thought finishing 9th was terrible anyway, bet you would’ve given us crap for it.
Of course I would have, but on the other side of the stone it'd mean Richmond is still somewhat competitive rather a basket-case so either way it's a good result for footy

Neale and Henry are offering plenty of goals and encouragement as young marking forwards.

SDK has been the first picked 22under22 KPD for a while and showed good signs in the ruck.

Dempsey Rising Star.

Holmes 73 coaches votes and AA squad.

Mannagh's stats the past 9 weeks match Moore's AA season average.

Humphries top 5 first year players in the AFL.

Bruhn has done very well for a player who has had 35 odd games as an AFL midfielder.

The players in their prime such as Stengle, J.Henry, Kolo, Zuthrie, Miers, Bowes, Close have had very good seasons.

None of these players are about to retire.
Mannagh worked his way into the team later in the season. Now a genuine starter, where'd you find a gem like him from?

Mannagh worked his way into the team later in the season. Now a genuine starter, where'd you find a gem like him from?

It's absolute insanity that North didn't pick Mannagh with one of their bajillion picks.

They pulled Barlow into their coaching ranks who would have had all the inside information on him. I thought they needed someone exactly like him as a mid/fwd option and ready made to help the kids.

North doing Norf things I guess.

He'd be Richmond's best player on current form.

Ask your pLAyeR rAtINGz and see what they say.

Given Richmond are about to trade 2 players each for multiple rd 1 picks including top 10 picks, and a 3rd player for a single rd 1 pick, the AFL eco-system seems to think a little differently to you on that subject. Mannagh's high rating is derived from 11 games of footy as a 26yo, ie right in his prime. Let's see how he looks after opposition teams have a bit of time to study him.

Given Richmond are about to trade 2 players each for multiple rd 1 picks including top 10 picks, and a 3rd player for a single rd 1 pick, the AFL eco-system seems to think a little differently to you on that subject. Mannagh's high rating is derived from 11 games of footy as a 26yo, ie right in his prime. Let's see how he looks after opposition teams have a bit of time to study him.
The AFL ecosystem admires Geelong's 2023 pick 36 having a better season than every Richmond player in 2024. All in his first 11 AFL games!

"But but but maybe one day he won't be as good"
"But but but we will find some decent players at the draft"

You are so comical. A treasure for Geelong supporters.

The AFL ecosystem admires Geelong's 2023 pick 36 having a better season than every Richmond player in 2024.

"But but but maybe one day he won't be as good"

You are so comical. A treasure for Geelong supporters.

Lol Mannagh couldn't even get a game for half the season. Maybe let him play a whole season before you go off quarter cocked. He has 10 career coaches votes. :tearsofjoy:

Lol Mannagh couldn't even get a game for half the season. Maybe let him play a whole season before you go off quarter cocked.
Player Ratings, Pops.

They're your Bible. Don't bail on them now. Ablett only played 15 or so games in 2014. Riewoldt didn't play that many in 2019.

Mannagh has been sensational. You know it, we've both acknowledged how much it annoys you (same happened with Stengle, Miers, Holmes, Dempsey et al) and now we move on.

You never know. He might do what one of our other recent mid-20s debutants did and get worked out after winning 5 all Australian jackets

Of course I would have, but on the other side of the stone it'd mean Richmond is still somewhat competitive rather a basket-case so either way it's a good result for footy

No man’s land is the worst. You watch North and WC become a powerhouse before St Kilda and Essendon become competitive again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Max Holmes will be the best player in the AFL in 5 years time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back