Max Holmes will be the best player in the AFL in 5 years time

Remove this Banner Ad

Shows a lack of depth though eh?
Bowes and Bruin, the way forward you think?
Bowes is a rotational mid. Not a starting mid and he is pretty solid in that role. Has more tricks than i thought.

Bruhn is a bit meh at the moment. Looks great at times but goes missing. If he can build up his stamina base could be a gun but if he doesnt probably will be a dud. Clark is probably in the same boat. He is still young though.

Holmes looks like becoming a star.

Stewart is solid in the centre bounces (odd they didnt play him there much last night).

Danger can still star at times but is obviously waning. May have one more top year left in him. Cam guthrie may finally be back for one more solid year next year. That would help.

We look like getting a mid during trade week unless something goes wrong there.

We have a lot of very good small fowards and wingers to complement the midfield weakness.

It is worth noting that we had 7 more inside 50s than Brisbane last night

Obviously Brisbane’s ruckman being injured had an impact on that so of course that helps, but on the flip side, Max Holmes playing only 68 minutes of 130 hurts.

To send the ball forward as much as we did suggests we weren’t obliterated by as much as everyone is suggesting. And a lot of them were good looks that we gave our forwards as well

Shows a lack of depth though eh?
Bowes and Bruin, the way forward you think?
I don't think anyone has ever said that tbh.

As Seeds mentioned, Bowes is a rotational piece. Good honest trier, and would ideally be the 5th or 6th midfielder rather than the 3rd or 4th.

Bruhn has the higher ceiling, and is a young developing player rather than a player in his prime like Bowes, but I suspect his ceiling is a 3rd or 4th mid in a premiership midfield.

They're having to play above themselves - as they have all year - as we transition the midfield.

Just the way it is in an equalised league. Everyone is going to have a weakspot somewhere in any given year.

The long term plan from what I can guess is Smith, Holmes, and another A-grade mid (either traded in, or drafted) with Clark, Bruhn, Bowes etc as the second tier.

That's subject to change of course, but that would be where I assume the club is trying to go.

I don't think anyone has ever said that tbh.

As Seeds mentioned, Bowes is a rotational piece. Good honest trier, and would ideally be the 5th or 6th midfielder rather than the 3rd or 4th.

Bruhn has the higher ceiling, and is a young developing player rather than a player in his prime like Bowes, but I suspect his ceiling is a 3rd or 4th mid in a premiership midfield.

They're having to play above themselves - as they have all year - as we transition the midfield.

Just the way it is in an equalised league. Everyone is going to have a weakspot somewhere in any given year.

The long term plan from what I can guess is Smith, Holmes, and another A-grade mid (either traded in, or drafted) with Clark, Bruhn, Bowes etc as the second tier.

That's subject to change of course, but that would be where I assume the club is trying to go.
Conceded Clark at second tier as well? Thought he was the next Selwood.

It is worth noting that we had 7 more inside 50s than Brisbane last night

Obviously Brisbane’s ruckman being injured had an impact on that so of course that helps, but on the flip side, Max Holmes playing only 68 minutes of 130 hurts.

To send the ball forward as much as we did suggests we weren’t obliterated by as much as everyone is suggesting. And a lot of them were good looks that we gave our forwards as well
Yep, Stengle and the Hawkins replacement were poor.

Yep, Stengle and the Hawkins replacement were poor.

Neale had a shocker. Stengle I could cop because it’s probably rare in a team that has as many prominent small forwards and half forwards as ours that they’re all going to have a big game or be ‘on’ at the same time and the others all played pretty well.

Neale had to show something and he didn’t. Hopefully he learned a bit out of it.

Neale had a shocker. Stengle I could cop because it’s probably rare in a team that has as many prominent small forwards and half forwards as ours that they’re all going to have a big game or be ‘on’ at the same time and the others all played pretty well.

Neale had to show something and he didn’t. Hopefully he learned a bit out of it.
Yep, not an issue moving forward.

Yep, also showed how much the midfield dropped off from there. Bowes, Bruin and Guthrie showed what we all already knew. Geelong don’t have a premiership quality midfield.
Our midfield has basically been Dangerfield with spells from Holmes. Our record without Danger this season was ordinary, him getting hurt and that two month form slump in the middle of the year coincided for a reason. Guthrie was our BnF winner in the 2022 premiership year but basically has been broken ever since. The other guys who run through there are either developing kids (Bruhn and Clark for the first half of the year) or good honest battlers (Atkins and Bowes).

The small forwards like Miers and later in the season Mannagh pushing up to the stoppages was our main weapon.

Going by what geelong posters are saying in the Bailey Smith thread, I can only assume Holmes is worth tops a second round draft pick in a trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Max Holmes will be the best player in the AFL in 5 years time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back