Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

What should happen with Maynard?

• 1-2 match suspension for careless, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 247 27.9%
  • 3-4 match suspension for intentional, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 203 23.0%
  • 5+ match suspension, intentional or careless with severe impact, straight to tribunal

Votes: 68 7.7%
  • Charges downgraded to a fine

Votes: 52 5.9%
  • No charge/no penalty

Votes: 314 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

THE AFL has opted against appealing the Tribunal's decision in the Brayden Maynard case, meaning the Collingwood defender is in the clear to play in the Magpies' preliminary final.

The AFL, having brought the charge against Maynard, said on Wednesday that it would not challenge the Tribunal's ruling, but would comment further later in the day.

"The AFL has confirmed that after careful consideration and review of the Tribunal's decision and reasons following last night's hearing into the incident involving Collingwood's Brayden Maynard and Melbourne's Angus Brayshaw, the AFL has decided not to appeal the Tribunal's decision," a statement read.

"Per the Tribunal Guidelines the AFL had to make this decision by 12:00pm AEST today.

"The AFL will release a further statement later today."
Finally some sanity 👍

Ah for the good old days* when it was me copping grief for having a high post count in a thread that shouldn't concern me because I don't support either club involved in this incident.

*The good old days being Friday night just gone.

Let’s say it was a mark and not a kick.

Maynard faux attempts a late spoil and collects Brayshaw well after the mark has been completed.

In this case Maynard faux attempts a late smother and collects Bradshaw well after the kick has been completed.

Weeks for mine.

Ask yourself how long has Maynard been playing as a professional footballer?
Now tell me he can't judge distance and timing and what the outcomes will be when he goes full frontal on a player with his head down kicking a ball.
An ultimate brain fade and stupid.
I asked myself but i didn't know. Bruzzy only just learnt his 8 times tables so advanced trigonometry might be down the track

Maynard faux attempts a late spoil and collects Brayshaw well after the mark has been completed.

In this case Maynard faux attempts a late smother and collects Bradshaw well after the kick has been completed.

Weeks for mine.
The smother attempt isn't exactly late. Sure, he doesn't effect a smother, but he forces Brayshaw to kick over or to the side of him. A late spoil attempt does not impact the play at all except to illegally hold a player up.

Weeks for mine.
Well when that happens we'll suspend him for that action

I’m saying that Maynard initiated the contact. Brayshaw was legally disposing of the ball when Maynard jumped into him.

The tribunal needs to decide whether this fits into the same category as a marking contest/ball in dispute, or if it belongs in the same category as a bump or tackle on a player with the ball.

Personally I think the latter, in which case it’s careless and a suspension.

A definition of a smother is one that can only be executed when the ball is in dispute. The ball is literally in dispute the moment it leaves the foot of Brayshaw. Therefore it can only be the former..

A definition of a smother is one that can only be executed when the ball is in dispute. The ball is literally in dispute the moment it leave the foot of Brayshaw. Therefore it can only be the former..
Players can opt out of contests where the ball is in dispute though, example marking contests if you're front on and exposed to a knee you might set up to rove to pack instead. Once Brayshaw commits to kicking he still needs to be protected as if he has possession

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People that love footy don’t post the dribble that’s been posted and posted rehashed and regurgitated here.

Yep, I’ve played the game (and still do) since I was 5, go to every Crows home game, watch every game that’s on TV when at home and choose to spend some of my free time discussing footy online, but I don’t love the game.

A lot of us are coming from the angle that we love the game and want to see it survive, but the only way we can do that is if we make it safer.

Where it differs is a sling tackle and bump you are intending the contact. If you intend the contact, you've got to make sure it doesn't involve the head.

This is a fair point, which is why I understand the argument that is made that this belongs more in the category of a marking contest or contested ball, in which case he should not be suspended. If the tribunal makes that judgement then fair enough, I’d disagree with it but would understand it.

I think some of you are being far too generous with what you think Maynard can compute in 0.2 seconds

In 0.2 seconds after the hit he was able to put his hands out and reduce his impact with the ground.

That's why we should expect him to be able to do the same thing before the impact.

It was a smother. There is no law against a smother.
What is Maynard expected to do after elected to try to smother the ball?
What did he do that is regarded as careless?
What did he do to breach duty of care?
I'd expect him to get off, purely because it was an instinctive action to smother. No malice involved.

A definition of a smother is one that can only be executed when the ball is in dispute. The ball is literally in dispute the moment it leaves the foot of Brayshaw. Therefore it can only be the former..
This is where it’s a grey area, because Maynard chooses to jump BEFORE the kick, when the ball is still in Brayshaw’s possession.

Hypothetically if Brayshaw had’ve tried to sell candy and Maynard had still jumped collected him what would the verdict be? Because that would have been the exact same action on Maynard’s part.

Which is why I think it should be classed as careless and get a week.

In 0.2 seconds after the hit he was able to put his hands out and reduce his impact with the ground.

That's why we should expect him to be able to do the same thing before the impact.
You dont curl in a ball when you hit the ground. You do if a collision with someone is imminent for self preservation. If he sayed up right withb his hands in the air Brayshaw would of split him down the middle potentially. Hes always doing deperate smothers and lunges trying to create pressure but this might be the end of that

It was a smother. There is no law against a smother.
What is Maynard expected to do after elected to try to smother the ball?
What did he do that is regarded as careless?
What did he do to breach duty of care?
I'd expect him to get off, purely because it was an instinctive action to smother. No malice involved.

Bracing for contact with a hip and shoulder is reflexive in these circumstances someone putting their own well being over the victim their having to run and jump at them.

Not reflexive is someone doing their very best to protect the victim over someone they are about to land on having run and jump at them. I'd point to Kozzie's efforts to not poleaxe Hoskin Elliot. Funny how his reflexive instinct was to do his best to avoid contact.

In short Maynard failed to do this and like Gus, should not play again this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

Back