Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

What should happen with Maynard?

• 1-2 match suspension for careless, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 247 27.9%
  • 3-4 match suspension for intentional, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 203 23.0%
  • 5+ match suspension, intentional or careless with severe impact, straight to tribunal

Votes: 68 7.7%
  • Charges downgraded to a fine

Votes: 52 5.9%
  • No charge/no penalty

Votes: 314 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

THE AFL has opted against appealing the Tribunal's decision in the Brayden Maynard case, meaning the Collingwood defender is in the clear to play in the Magpies' preliminary final.

The AFL, having brought the charge against Maynard, said on Wednesday that it would not challenge the Tribunal's ruling, but would comment further later in the day.

"The AFL has confirmed that after careful consideration and review of the Tribunal's decision and reasons following last night's hearing into the incident involving Collingwood's Brayden Maynard and Melbourne's Angus Brayshaw, the AFL has decided not to appeal the Tribunal's decision," a statement read.

"Per the Tribunal Guidelines the AFL had to make this decision by 12:00pm AEST today.

"The AFL will release a further statement later today."
Finally some sanity đź‘Ť

Haha what a sook mate reporting a post over your own take on the meaning of my "lmao".

Even worse it was deleted and response was " dont need laughing at serious head injuries", which is false I laughed at the insulation Maynard should do a cripps as a better outcome.
If you are suggesting it was me who reported it, check with the mods, because it wasn't.

I just checked. I'm in 3 BF NBA fantasy leagues.

Couldn't see you anywhere. So sit back down pretender.

Do you watch the NBA with both eyes closed? You compared blocking in the NBA, to two players running at speed at each other in the AFL.

The length of a basketball court is less then the distance than Maynard and Brayshaw travelled running into each other. Blocks in the NBA are generally not done at speed, unless their done from a run from behind where the force is way less than a head on collision, their generally just a jump up and block, not much running.

Also, I'm not sure if you are aware but players in the NBA don't kick shots into the basket, they tend to shoot with hands, so they're only blocking a shot, which is generally a player stopping and shooting, not a player running and kicking. Completely different, see?

Because he's not to know that Brayshaw isn't going to follow through like old mate Ryan in 2018 and smash his ribs in....
Maddo11 has been in this thread advocating for Maynard to get a life sentence because won't someone think of the children. But when a key player gets broken ribs for us in a grand final that's hilarious. It says all you need to know about the mentality of almost all posters gunning for Maynard to be suspended in this thread.

Geezuz we need to win the flag this year!!!

Another football act is to bury your knee into the back of an opponent's head taking a speccie without consequence, unless you don't touch the ball. There is arguably just as much if not more potential for injury. I don't think Maynard should be cited

Yeah but the frame after that he tucks his shoulder in and drops it downwards. Why not just extend your arms from that point and “push” him away
You obviously have never played football after under 12s.
Full pace, no control, as in mid air and less that 0.5 of a second the think and react.
Natural instinct is self preservation. The idea that he would be able to think at that speed "F*ck looking after myself, I will just push him away" is ridiculous.
He tried to smother the ball, then by the time he looked down and saw Brayshaw, he would have collided before he got the words "oh shit" out of his mouth.
In what universe do you think he would have time to adjust from protect to lets open myself up and push him away.:think:

Oh please.:rolleyes:

Another football act is to bury your knee into the back of an opponent's head taking a speccie without consequence, unless you don't touch the ball. There is arguably just as much if not more potential for injury. I don't think Maynard should be cited

The force of that is 100x more then this incident or Ryder's or other.

But anyway let's hope they have a limit to this over sanitisation of our game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Full pace, no control, as in mid air and less that 0.5 of a second the think and react.
Natural instinct is self preservation. The idea that he would be able to think at that speed "F*ck looking after myself, I will just push him away" is ridiculous.
He tried to smother the ball, then by the time he looked down and saw Brayshaw, he would have collided before he got the words "oh s**t" out of his mouth.
In what universe do you think he would have time to adjust from protect to lets open myself up and push him away.:think:

Spot on.
Who's going to choose the possibility of self harm over worrying if the opponent is also choosing it and protecting himself?

He tried to smother the ball, then by the time he looked down and saw Brayshaw, he would have collided before he got the words "oh s**t" out of his mouth.

The act I just described is self preservation. Who is tucking their shoulder in and leading with it with the sole intention of protecting both players?

His arms were already in position to push Brayshaw away (from the still in the post I quoted) but he chose to tuck the elbow in and drop the shoulder when he could have just as easily extended the arms and softened the blow.

Lol no.

Sidebumping something is not a natural instinctive reaction when you're in the air. Putting your hands out to brace your fall is.

Tbh the people saying that Brayshaw had more options than Maynards are the ones most telling on themselves in that regard here.

I don't think that Brayshaw had more option, I'd say Maynard had. But after he went to smother, how many options does Maynard have in 0.3 of a second?

If you jump you own the consequences because it takes out a heap of options to avoid contact, like side stepping, slowing down. And it increases the likely hood of high contact, removing the options of lowering your own body to bump or tackle legally (although in this case he'd probably have been too late to do either legally but wouldn't be getting charged)

We can't allow players to recklessly jump into opponents that are playing the ball, regardless of their intent

Last edited:
I don't think that Brayshaw had more option, I'd say Maynard had. But after he went to smother, how many options does Maynard have in 0.3 of a second?
In another universe, Brayshaw would have side stepped whilst Maynard was in the air and bombed a goal from outside 50

Brilliant summary of the circumstances Maynard placed himself in leading to him having no control of his body and outcome…

Some might say recklessly.

Last edited:
I don't believe they should change their attitude during finals. The AFL is facing increased pressure from legal action over concussion injuries so I think they need to start taking things more seriously than implementing 2 game bans and then having them easily appealed.

1. The action was careless. Maynard needed more awareness of the potential for contact. This was not a marking contest. He can make the claim that he was attempting to spoil but it was careless no matter how you look at it, otherwise any player could use that as defence for plowing into an attacking player. Maynard took on Brayshaw front on. It was clumsy.

2. I think he will get 1-2 games, and from there I have no idea how the appeal will go. I think it's 50/50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

Back